Apple brings in former Burberry, Nike social media director for new retail role

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple appears to be changing its famously low-key approach to social media following the hiring of Musa Tariq -- a social media whiz who previously worked under Apple Stores chief Angela Ahrendts at Burberry -- as the retail division's new digital marketing director.

Tariq comes to Apple via Nike, where he served as the fitness giant's senior director of social media and community until mid-July. The London School of Economics alum confirmed his move in a tweet earlier Monday.

Before joining Nike, Tariq worked closely with Ahrendts to help turn around Burberry's flagging brand perception through the innovative use of social media. Among Tariq's creations was the critically-acclaimed "tweetwalk" campaign that saw Burberry synchronize the runway unveiling of its new collections to a Twitter feed that gave fans a sneak peak.

Tariq was named to British trade rag Marketing Magazine's "Power 100" list of the most influential marketers in the U.K. last November.

Tariq's hire comes in the midst of a larger ramp-up of Apple's internal ad team, led by creative director Hiroki Asai. The company is believed to be shifting its advertising strategy from one centered primarily on print and television to one that integrates more far-reaching internet campaigns, including an increased presence on social media.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I approve of the team Cook has assembled.
  • Reply 2 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I approve of the team Cook has assembled.

Whew!  I was worried for a minute.

• Reply 3 of 23
    I am DogCowabunga and I approve this message.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I am DogCowabunga and I approve this message.

I am RadarTheKat and I concur with DogCowabunga.

(Still waiting to hear from SonarTheBat and LipstickThePig on this matter.)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I am RadarTheKat and I concur with DogCowabunga.

(Still waiting to hear from SonarTheBat and LipstickThePig on this matter.)

PatchyThePirate gives two hooks up!

But seriously, this is great news, and long overdue. A simple social media presence can help Apple immensely to promote products and proactively combat negative press. Kudos to Tim for not being a complacent leader, and for continuing to make Apple stronger and smarter.

• Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

another proof that the 5.5 iphone is coming

No.   proof the iWatch/iTime/WristPad exists and will come in 5 colors... and PLAID...  And will be on the arm of every golfer in the Rider Cup.

sheesh.

Back on point.  It's now necessary to have a social media director.   I don't think they needed it 8 years ago, but they do today.

And Apple, being the hugest consumer retail company in the universe (okay, the solar system),  you don't get a student intern and thrust them into the job (anymore).   This is a person who has the head of retail as a reference, and did the job  with probably the largest non-tech brand, outside of Apple.   It's a no brainer hire. 

But, we'll see his chops in 2 months.   Those  first hashtag hatched will make or break his rep. ;-)

• Reply 7 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    How do you figure that?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

How do you figure that?

Must be feeling a tad sarcasm-challenged today? ;)

• Reply 9 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Before joining Nike, Tariq worked closely with Ahrendts to help turn around Burberry's flagging brand perception through the innovative use of social media. Among Tariq's creations was the critically-acclaimed "tweetwalk" campaign that saw Burberry synchronize the runway unveiling of its new collections to a Twitter feed that gave fans a sneak peak.

Tariq was <a href="http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1221229/musa-tariq-global-senior-director-social-media-community-nike">named</a> to British trade rag <em>Marketing Magazine's</em> "Power 100" list of the most influential marketers in the U.K. last November.

If there's anything that surprises me more than an analyst being an actual job, it's work in social media. Here's his own feed:

https://twitter.com/MusaTariq

"Digital Marketing Director, Apple Retail. Previously @Nike & @Burberry. I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Opinions my own."

Skills include:

Digital Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Social Media, Advertising, Online Advertising, New Media, Brand Development, Marketing, Marketing Strategy, Integrated Marketing, Online Marketing, Brand Awareness, Brand Management, Mobile Marketing, Content Strategy, Facebook, Instagram, Digital Media, Email Marketing, Media Planning, YouTube, Twitter, International Business, Global Marketing, Mobile Devices, Marketing Communications, Google+, Brand Development, Chinese Social Media, Chinese Marketing, Brand Communication, Innovation, Social Innovation, Global Strategy

What other job role has so many synonyms for posting on Facebook and Twitter?

"One of Tariq’s most critically acclaimed social media campaigns for Burberry was the “Tweetwalk.” This Tweetwalk campaign shared images of outfits soon to hit the London Fashion Show runway in their backstage form. Analysis of this campaign revealed that it significantly boosted talk of both Burberry’s products and the Fashion Show. Tariq also created a campaign called “Acoustic,” which utilized YouTube to showcase musicians singing acoustic versions of popular songs"

The guy has worked at a number of high profile clients but I despair when I read about tweeting about things as they happen as something worthy of acclaim. It raises brand profiles but only because of the content being shared and not the act of sharing. How creative can you really make social media when you are working around the constraints set by Twitter and Facebook?

You have a whole bunch of people filming events, taking pictures, doing audio work, editing and the social media person uploads it to Youtube and tweets a link to it. Someone has to do it but I have a feeling that reaching the top of the social media profession pays better than the bottom of the engineering profession and I don't feel that it should.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

https://twitter.com/MusaTariq

Thanks for linking to his twitter account. A few posts that stuck out to me:

"I think we're about to see a number of new luxury niche sports brands launching in 2014/15 @tracksmith a perfect & lovely example for runners"

"I genuinely feel Community Management is one of the most underrated marketing roles and tools, CMO's have to impact their business."

"The best #SocialMedia advice I can give your brand is to post less."

It looks like he'll be a good fit. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Reply 11 of 23
    danvdrdanvdr Posts: 25member

Is "We have some really great products that will be coming out" less than 140 characters?

• Reply 12 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Looking forward to Apple's build-to-order knitted running shoes with built-in Twitter and Facebook integration.

• Reply 13 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple is a funny company. They don't spend much on ads and their online presence is nearly non existent yet they're dominating every market they're in. They seem to be prepping for a heavier online and market presence which I can't imagine how much bigger It will make them.

Expect Apple to go from chimp to Gorilla.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Apple is a funny company. They don't spend much on ads and their online presence is nearly non existent yet they're dominating every market they're in. They seem to be prepping for a heavier online and market presence which I can't imagine how much bigger It will make them.

Where in the world do you get the idea they "don't spend much" on their advertising?

• Reply 15 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where in the world do you get the idea they "don't spend much" on their advertising?

In comparison to others in the industry, I believe.

• Reply 16 of 23
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In comparison to others in the industry, I believe.

TS believes right....

Forbes [ August, 2012]:  "Apple spent less than 1% of sales last year [2011] on advertising.  ... As a percentage of sales, [MS's] advertising was 2.2%"

WSJ [March, 2013]:  "In 2012, Samsung spent $401 million advertising its phones in the U.S. to Apple's $333 million, according to ad research and consulting firm Kantar Media.

FORTUNE [November, 2013]:  Asymco‘s Horace Dediu on Monday used last week’s release of Apple’s AAPL fiscal 2013 advertising budget to update the fever chart at left and to add a new chart on the right, one that compares advertising expenses as percent of sales. He notes that although by that measure Coca Cola KO outspends even Samsung, Microsoft’s MSFT consumer advertising is now on track to overtake Coke.

Apple’s ad budget a percent of sales, by contrast, has been shrinking over the past four years.

Dediu’s conclusion: “The stronger, more differentiated the product, the less it needs to be propped up by the ad.”

In other words, if you build great products, place them properly, provide top-notch support and service and run the right ads, you don't need to ram 'em down people's throats with an onslaught of ads in order to sell 'em.... 

....However, Apple isn't passive when assaulted, and in 2013 began to close the "ad gap" with Samsung in the US market.  http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/04/08/apple-closes-u-s-ad-spending-gap-with-samsung/

• Reply 17 of 23

Apple needs to hire more social media hipsters.

• Reply 18 of 23
    cali wrote: »

Not much compared to Samsung who spends as much as Apple AND the rest of the tech industry COMBINED.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    sog35 wrote: »

No.   proof the iWatch/iTime/WristPad exists and will come in 5 colors... and PLAID...  And will be on the arm of every golfer in the Rider Cup.

sheesh.

Back on point.  It's now necessary to have a social media director.   I don't think they needed it 8 years ago, but they do today.
    And Apple, being the hugest consumer retail company in the universe (okay, the solar system),  you don't get a student intern and thrust them into the job (anymore).   This is a person who has the head of retail as a reference, and did the job  with probably the largest non-tech brand, outside of Apple.   It's a no brainer hire. 

But, we'll see his chops in 2 months.   Those  first hashtag hatched will make or break his rep. ;-)

No need to wait 2 months. He started right away. His first tweet was:

First day of school. Hope the other kids like me!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    wow, a real life person that is the exact character on the show "parks and recreation"... "https://twitter.com/MusaTariq"