Photos of purported 'iPad Air 2' chassis detail minor design tweaks

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
A trio of photos out of China claim to show the rear shell of Apple's next-generation iPad Air, which looks to feature larger speaker holes, recessed volume control buttons and a repositioned rear-facing microphone.

Source: Sina Weibo

Images of the supposed "iPad Air 2" chassis, uploaded to an account on China's Sina Weibo microblogging site this weekend and subsequently spotted by Nowhereelse.fr, detail a part consistent with a non-functional mockup first revealed in June.

Aside from internal structures like screw anchors and mounting brackets for what will assumedly be the tablet's camera, physical control and sensor component suite, the metal chassis is nearly identical to the dummy model.

Taking a closer look at the shell reveals the same external recess thought to house the iPad Air's usual pill-shaped volume buttons, making the controls nearly flush with the surrounding structure. Like the mockup, the purported part does not have space for a "mute/orientation lock" toggle switch as seen on current iPad and iPhone models. Instead, a small pinhole is located above the volume buttons, the purpose of which is not yet known.

Around back, the microphone porthole has been relocated to sit just beside the rear-facing camera, while the Apple logo cutout first seen with the iPad mini with Retina display makes a return. Currently, Apple fills the space with radio-transparent material to ensure on-board communications hardware can suitably transmit and receive Wi-Fi, cellular, GPS and other signals.

The final design tweak appears to be larger speaker holes arranged in a single row flanking a central Lightning connector port, unlike the current two-row grille design seen on current iPads.

While not much is known about the next-generation iPad Air, many expect the forthcoming tablet to come with a faster "A8" processor, minor performance increases and the inclusion of Touch ID fingerprint scanning. In April, a batch of photos suggested the future device will feature a bonded display like existing iPhone products, though the claim has gone unsubstantiated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That definitely looks authentic and larger than the current iPad Air display.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To me, the third pic makes it look more like a Mini.

• Reply 3 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    To me, the third pic makes it look more like a Mini.

I agree that the third pic does look closer to the iPad mini's size. If I then hone in on the fingertips on the first pic I could see how that could also be an iPad mini even thought the forearm area makes it look like it's even larger than the iPad Air, to me.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

I agree that the third pic does look closer to the iPad mini's size. If I then hone in on the fingertips on the first pic I could see how that could also be an iPad mini even thought the forearm area makes it look like it's even larger than the iPad Air, to me.

Agreed. The first pic makes it look huge.

• Reply 5 of 28
    Nobody ever takes a picture of the allegedly leaked parts next to a ruler for scale. How come?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    First pic is the iPad Air successor and the third pic is the iPad Mini succesor.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So a gold iPad Air this year?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Is that gold iPad ? I love Goooooooooold. The look of it, the taste of it, the smell of it, the texture. I love gold so much that.....
  • Reply 9 of 28
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I don't think the sound on the iPad Air is lacking, but I'm all for higher quality sound when possible. The air def. Made a decent jump in sound quality vs the iPad 4- mainly due to the speaker location.
    Curious what bigger holes means- or what the advantage would be.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't think the sound on the iPad Air is lacking, but I'm all for higher quality sound when possible. The air def. Made a decent jump in sound quality vs the iPad 4- mainly due to the speaker location.

Well, the primary advantage would be letting more sound pass through. Don't know of any other advantages; we haven't seen speaker grilles used for anything else in other iDevices.

• Reply 11 of 28

Boring !!!!

Another dull release, seriously 2014 is a really dull year.

• Reply 12 of 28
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Couldn't agree more about the improved sound.  I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and basically need some music to help me fall asleep.  I just put on some Diana Krall or something similar on my Air, and the sound is actually fairly impressive considering.

• Reply 13 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Sure hope it's lighter. My Air is a definite improvement over my previous pad, but my arm still gets tired holding it in space, as when laying on my back in bed. Of course the stock Apple full cover adds to the problem.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    That's not a mini, That's the new 5.5 iphone 6 :j>
  • Reply 15 of 28
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adre Naline View Post

That's not a mini, That's the new 5.5 iphone 6 :j>

LOL!  Nice :)

• Reply 16 of 28
    andysol wrote: »

The larger holes will allow whole notes and especially dotted notes to get out of the enclosure easier. It should allow bridged note to escape too without having the bridge getting broken. The net effect will be butter smooth sound quality.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    darendino wrote: »
    Boring !!!!

Another dull release, seriously 2014 is a really dull year.

You really should consider changing your user name to "Debbie Downer."
  • Reply 18 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Sure hope it's lighter. My Air is a definite improvement over my previous pad, but my arm still gets tired holding it in space, as when laying on my back in bed. Of course the stock Apple full cover adds to the problem.

Sit up. Ergonomically, that is the worst position to sit while reading. I've never heard a mechanic complain being on a dolly, under the car, but I can always count on people complaining about 1lb while reading.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

How can you tell? It’s China: small people, small hands.

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Boring !!!! Another dull release, seriously 2014 is a really dull year.

Just shut up.

• Reply 20 of 28
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Yawn - let me know when I can read an iBook on a beach.