Apple brings iOS 7-style iconography to Apple TV in newest beta

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2014
The latest Apple software to receive a Jony Ive-led user interface revamp is the company's Apple TV operating system, which sports an iOS 7-style "flat" look with new icons and updated typography in the latest beta.

Each of the default icons has been reworked with a more modern veneer, eschewing the now-defunct iOS "gloss" effects for a matte appearance. The background starburst effect has also given way to gradients that match those found in iOS 7.

The pictographs themselves have also been made more sleek. The "Settings" icon underwent the most radical change, gaining the same nested gears icon found in Apple's newest mobile and desktop operating systems.

In addition, the weight of the typeface is slightly thinner and icons no longer cast reflections. Finally, the "glow" surrounding the currently-selected icon has been tightened up to include a more defined white ring offset by a small black margin.

Overall, however, the Apple TV user interface paradigm remains largely unchanged from its debut in 2007. Rumors of an all-new Apple TV have been circulating for years, and picked up steam in 2011 following the publication of Steve Jobs's autobiography in which the late Apple CEO was quoted as saying he had "finally cracked" the television problem.

Those rumors came to a head in early 2014, as numerous media outlets suggested that a refresh was imminent, though none materialized. More recent reports have signaled that Apple's new set-top solution has been stalled as negotiations with content providers drag on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm not a fan of Computers" being a button/channel. I have an iTunes Server that I always access with my Apple TV but I have to jump through extra steps to get there. Just let me put my iTS Movies and iTS TV Shows channels on the main page.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Is this still 3rd Gen only?
  • Reply 3 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Is this still 3rd Gen only?

All previous updates have been 2nd AND 3rd gen. There is no reason to believe this won’t be the same.

• Reply 4 of 84
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Finally!
    Once they get around I hope they'll open the new content store for old units. There are so many Apple TV's out there it's a mystery they haven't pushed it more..
  • Reply 5 of 84

The @TV interface has become more and more annoying to use.... it was cool seven years ago when first introduced, but it now looks pathetically dated. (For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

The main thing going for it is that it only costs $99.

• Reply 6 of 84
    (For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

I don't understand this desire.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

There is... hold down the play/pause button for about 5 seconds...

• Reply 8 of 84
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Computers" being a button/channel. I have an iTunes Server that I always access with my Apple TV but I have to jump through extra steps to get there. Just let me put my iTS Movies and iTS TV Shows channels on the main page.

100% agree. And also having the ability to search my library from the Apple TV via the keyboard on the remote app would be nice as well. Much quicker than manually searching through 800+ movies.
  • Reply 9 of 84

You can turn it off by holding down the Play/Pause button. You have to be in the main menu for it to work. You can get to the main menu from anywhere by holding down the menu button. 

• Reply 10 of 84
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

I designed software for a lot of years.  This news, to my mind, suggests that Apple is in the process of making significant changes to AppleTV, a first step of which is to simply apply the same design language to the existing UI, to be followed by the actual reworking of that UI and associated functionality, which Apple is undoubtedly doing behind the scenes and away from the visible beta program.  

If there's any product in Apple's suite that would benefit from a major refresh during the holiday season, it's AppleTV.  I'm hoping that's what we;re getting hints of here.

• Reply 11 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I guess you don't mind the 7 - 10 button presses typically needed to get it to sleep?

• Reply 12 of 84
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    anantksundaram 08/04/2014 03:48 PM (For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

There is: just hold down the Play/Pause button on the remote and it will shut the AppleTv off.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    All previous updates have been 2nd AND 3rd gen. There is no reason to believe this won’t be the same.

Not according to this AI story.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Simple concept actually. Some one would like to turn something off when they're done using it. Make sense to me.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    I guess you don't mind the 7 - 10 button presses typically needed to get it to sleep?

1) You originally stated "turn the damn thing off" not sleep.

2) I hit one button to get it to sleep. I pause the video or go back to the menu and it will auto-sleep in a few minutes. I think once I switch the HDTV's input the Apple TV it will go to sleep even sooner.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Signaled? surely, signalled!
  • Reply 16 of 84
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

And I hope Jony can get rid of the gloss on the Cinema Display as well. The glossy screen is unsuitable for professional uses in anywhere but a perfectly dark room.

• Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) I hit one button to get it to sleep. I pause the video or go back to the menu and it will auto-sleep in a few minutes. I think once I switch the HDTV's input the Apple TV it will go to sleep even sooner.

I did not know that. Will try it. Wish I had known this seven years ago.....

• Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

Signaled? surely, signalled!

Am. v. Br.

• Reply 19 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I designed software for a lot of years.  This news, to my mind, suggests that Apple is in the process of making significant changes to AppleTV, a first step of which is to simply apply the same design language to the existing UI, to be followed by the actual reworking of that UI and associated functionality, which Apple is undoubtedly doing behind the scenes and away from the visible beta program.  

If there's any product in Apple's suite that would benefit from a major refresh during the holiday season, it's AppleTV.  I'm hoping that's what we;re getting hints of here.
    I hope you're right and it comes this fall. Would make a great Christmas gift for a lot of people. :)
  • Reply 20 of 84
    jonnejonne Posts: 18member
    What much a do about nothing