Found a page with the new iBook and how it compares to the small iBook and TiBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/bud_d/PhotoAlbum7.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/bud_d/PhotoAlbum7.html</a>;

The new ibook looks really big :eek:

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I really don't like the 14" iBook at all. It's just too big.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Great pics. I always thought the small size of the iBook was a "feature".
  • Reply 3 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You know, it's funny, I could have sworn I heard bitching for so long about how people would like an iBook if they'd just bump up the screen size a little...

Now everyone hates the thing.

I guess we'll see what sales are like. Personally, I'm reserving comment until I see one in person. It will probably look strange at first though, being so used to seeing the 12" version.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I like it. But then again, I have a Pismo.

The reason people 'complain' is that it doesn't get better than 1024x768. What's wrong with that? That's what my Pismo has. It's a NICE Display! One of the reasons that the TiBook doesn't fully appeal to me is the Widescreen resolutions (not that I don't drool at the machine any way).

The new iBook is a good machine for those who NEED a big screen but not the G4 power. There are some older people with declining eye sight that would like a laptop, but don't need the PowerBook G4 for web browsing, email, word processing, etc. This laptop would be GREAT for them.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I think a 14.1 ibook was a great idea. It puts a mid range laptop in apple's line that they've been needing for quite some time. If anyone has a problem with how big it is, dont bitch, just get the smaller, cheaper (by what? $200?)

ibook with the same specs albeit the 14.1 display (12.1). Good work, apple.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Why all this "its great for old people" sh!t???? I just ordered the dang iBook 14 and have perfect eyesite... its just damn nice to have a BIG screen.

I was seriously thinking to get the small iBook 12 because I just want to be able to pack it in everywhere I go... but the much better specs of the iBook 14 persuaded me otherwise
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I think it looks ugly...

its just a ibook in a bigger shell with a larger LCD...

the two inches of useless space at the ends of the keyboard... make it even worse...

this 14inch ibook was unnecessary...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 8 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>You know, it's funny, I could have sworn I heard bitching for so long about how people would like an iBook if they'd just bump up the screen size a little...

Now everyone hates the thing.

I guess we'll see what sales are like. Personally, I'm reserving comment until I see one in person. It will probably look strange at first though, being so used to seeing the 12" version.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Acutally I didn't really bitch about the screen size. I was only wondering if Apple can fit a 13.3" screen to the case without really modifiying it.

But 14" screen and the new case just really breaks the purpose of iBook - Compact and Lightweight....
  • Reply 9 of 14
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Well, did people bitch alot over the old Powerbook G3, it had the same size as the new iBook and weighed even more (AFAIR)?

I think the iBook will sell OK, and remember not all people have to carry around their portable every day, maybe they just like the freedom. I would always go with a bigger screen...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by :-):

<strong>Well, did people bitch alot over the old Powerbook G3, it had the same size as the new iBook and weighed even more (AFAIR)?

I think the iBook will sell OK, and remember not all people have to carry around their portable every day, maybe they just like the freedom. I would always go with a bigger screen...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple should have made a mini TiBook instead.

maybe a 13.1 inch version. I think it would have sold better. could have been real light too
  • Reply 11 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think Apple will keep both models around for a while. I think I'd buy the 14 as my only machine, but If I owned a competent enough desktop then I'd buy the 12.
  • Reply 12 of 14

<strong>Well, did people bitch alot over the old Powerbook G3, it had the same size as the new iBook and weighed even more (AFAIR)?

I think the iBook will sell OK, and remember not all people have to carry around their portable every day, maybe they just like the freedom. I would always go with a bigger screen...</strong><hr></blockquote>

There weren't any other Mac portables that were smaller at the time, that's the diffference.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

There weren't any other Mac portables that were smaller at the time, that's the diffference.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Avialability doesn't usually stop people from bitching, with your post count you should know that :cool:
  • Reply 14 of 14

<strong>

Avialability doesn't usually stop people from bitching, with your post count you should know that :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's true, but since there were not portables that small then from Apple people could only bitch about what they wanted which couldn't compare to what was actually availible.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>