Editorial: Why Apple, Inc. isn't worried about iPad's IDC tablet "market share"

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    matt45matt45 Posts: 9member
    Interesting fact: 45%/22 unknown companies equals 2.05% market share for each of the 22 unknown companies equally.

So IDC is trying to tell us that there is no company between the 22 other companies that standout more than the other and they all hold an equal 2.05% of the market... I cry oligopoly!!

/sarcasm
  • Reply 42 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    I just read that article. It was was an ad for reasons to BUY an iPad. Despite the headline the article was vastly pro apple. Idk if it was intentional on the writers side to do that but that article was a +1 for iPad

It wouldn't be expected to be an anti or pro-Apple article. I've always perceived Ars to be as un-biased and fair a site as any I can think of.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Another officeworker did use a Google tablet, but gave up on it and bought an iPad after it had screen problems and Google's "customer service" turned into a bunch of finger-pointing emails and no actual support.

LOL!

One of my favorite Fandroid memes in these forums is the "Android users are l33t" meme, which assumes all Android users are more tech savvy than the average iOS user because they root their own phone and would never download Android malware or virus so it must not be a real problem for the platform.

Google's "go google the help forums" idea of customer service is a DIY solution suited only to tech savvy users who are used to digging through IRC logs and mailing lists to solve some esoteric bug that prevents their Linux install from working. For ordinary people, it's woefully inadequate support.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

. . . Monsanto, and a lot of other US companies that export stuff would be in a whole lot of trouble.  Well, maybe I don't mind that much about Monsanto. 

I was thinking Monsanto was Swiss! But sure enough, based in St. Louis. "Roundup" herbicide is a good old American creation -- I'm saddened we have no one to blame it on but ourselves.

• Reply 45 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL!

One of my favorite Fandroid memes in these forums is the "Android users are l33t" meme, which assumes all Android users are more tech savvy than the average iOS user because they root their own phone and would never download Android malware or virus so it must not be a real problem for the platform.

Google's "go google the help forums" idea of customer service is a DIY solution suited only to tech savvy users who are used to digging through IRC logs and mailing lists to solve some esoteric bug that prevents their Linux install from working. For ordinary people, it's woefully inadequate support.

Google doesn't make phones, if you have a problem with your Nexus 5 you contact LG. That being said I have never had a problem contacting Google's support, their very friendly and helpful. When was the last time you talked with their customer service?

• Reply 46 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mnbob1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of an article I read awhile back. It spoke of the technology company graveyard and how it was filled with companies ran by executives who didn't know the difference between market share and profit. Attempting to continually increase market share while sacrificing profits leads to poor product quality and design. Poor customer service. Returned product. Failed company without enough money to continue business. The assets are purchased and many times the once high flying brand name appears as a special promotion. Compaq or Gateway anyone?

Reminds me of googles own graveyard:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/map_of_the_week/2013/03/google_reader_joins_graveyard_of_dead_google_products.html
  • Reply 47 of 55
    SS DDED
  • Reply 48 of 55
    relic wrote: »
    Google doesn't make phones, if you have a problem with your Nexus 5 you contact LG. That being said I have never had a problem contacting Google's support, their very friendly and helpful. When was the last time you talked with their customer service?

The first Nexus One was originally sold and serviced entirely over the web by Google. There wasn't anyone you could call--support was entirely online, and no retail partners sold, services, or supported the handset's customer initially. Sounds like they pulled their heads out of their asses. That's good.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    gatorguy wrote: »
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    I just read that article. It was was an ad for reasons to BUY an iPad. Despite the headline the article was vastly pro apple. Idk if it was intentional on the writers side to do that but that article was a +1 for iPad

It wouldn't be expected to be an anti or pro-Apple article. I've always perceived Ars to be as un-biased and fair a site as any I can think of.

Biased in favour of technical art? ????
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Good editorial. I thought you dissembled all the controversies that I could think of. I particularly enjoyed the paragraph where Samsung were furiously flinging tablet spaghetti at the wall.

What struck me was watching the clip of Steve Jobs introducing the iPad. One of the figures flashed on screen was '125 million accounts with credit cards.' In four short years, that figure is now over 800 million. Astounding! That's over 500% growth. That, to me, more than anything, exemplifies Apple's moat.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

that is a great website, I never realize google had so many public failures, I know you have to through a lot of ideas at the wall to see which on stick, but most successful company hide more of the idea flinging and do not let them go pubic.

I think googel gets away with it since it is just software, image if they were a hardware company than threw this many ideas out in the wilds of the public and have them fail like this. The will be backup up lots of garbage truck at google to clean up the mess.

• Reply 52 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    cali wrote: »

Funny to see an imminent (?) Google Glass there.

Strange they didn't sort the graves by year deceased, or by name.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    that is a great website, I never realize google had so many public failures, I know you have to through a lot of ideas at the wall to see which on stick, but most successful company hide more of the idea flinging and do not let them go pubic.

I think googel gets away with it since it is just software, image if they were a hardware company than threw this many ideas out in the wilds of the public and have them fail like this. The will be backup up lots of garbage truck at google to clean up the mess.

Many of those, maybe even most, were rolled into/combined with other Google services. So at least some were not so much failures as better when part of another service.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    IDC has zero credibility any more. They have not provider credible estimates in the last 2 years. They act more like paid by Apple competitors and mere Astroturfers.