Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple is reportedly set to hold a "big media event" on Tuesday, Sept. 9, where it's expected the company will reveal its next-generation iPhone, rumored to come in two larger screen sizes and an all-new form factor.

Details of the anticipated media event were first revealed on Tuesday by John Paczkowski of Re/code, who has reliably disseminated such information in the past. He reiterated rumors that the so-called "iPhone 6" will come in screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches, and that they will run next-generation A8 processors.

No rumored release date for the anticipated iPhones was given, but Apple has historically launched new models the next Friday after their public unveiling. If the company holds to that release pattern again this year, its next-generation handsets would become available to own on Friday, Sept. 19.

But recent rumors have suggested that Apple may be facing some struggles in bringing the larger 5.5-inch variant to market. A number of recent reports have claimed that Apple may be forced to push back production of the larger model.

If that's the case, then it's possible that a jumbo-sized iPhone model in the 5.5-inch range may not debut until after the 4.7-inch variant goes on sale. That wouldn't be unprecedented for the company: Just last year, the iPad Air went on sale 10 days before the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display.

Last year, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c both launched on the same day, but both were based on the same design established a year prior by the iPhone 5. This year it's expected that the "iPhone 6" will have an entirely new look, boasting rounded edges along with larger screens.

This year's iPhone launch is expected to be the biggest in the company's history, with reports pegging orders of up to 80 million units through the end of 2014. Hopes for the new iPhone are also high on Wall Street, where investors believe that customers have been clamoring for larger display sizes from Apple.

The "iPhone 6" is likely to be part of a busy fall for the company, which has been particularly quiet thus far through the first seven months of 2014. But executives at Apple have teased that they have a big lineup of new products, and entirely new product categories, coming before the year's end.

In particular, Apple's most anticipated device may be the new "iWatch," which is expected to be a wrist-worn smart accessory that will track and provide users with health and fitness data. It is expected to tie into the new Health application that will be featured in the upcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system.

Apple is also expected to launch revamped iPad models this fall, with both the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display rumored to receive Touch ID fingerprint sensors within their home buttons, much like the iPhone 5s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 157
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    YAY!
  • Reply 2 of 157
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    4.7" this 5.5" that....where's my 4" iPhone?
  • Reply 3 of 157
    Great news. Seems believable that they pull it a little earlier this year. Before more leaks happen
  • Reply 4 of 157
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Oh yeah, baby. Do the Funky Chicken.
  • Reply 5 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to the re/code article: [SIZE=5]Apple declined comment.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 6 of 157
    philboogie wrote: »

In stores now. :)
  • Reply 7 of 157
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There's no credible evidence a 5.5" is coming.
  • Reply 8 of 157
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to the re/code article: Apple declined comment.

They have a lot of practice at that.
  • Reply 9 of 157
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Let's understand clearly. If Apple make available 5.5" inch iphone later in October is not becaue of production or any such logistics issues. It is by design because of marketing strategy. So, all morons coming out with production issues is baseless because when apple release final design for the production than it is well done for the final production without hitch. So, if any media tells you other-way, it all BS. Smart people knows.
  • Reply 10 of 157
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »

In stores now. :)

I wanted to reply with:

"I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Surely you can understand that some people may find a possible 4.7" iPhone (screen size) too large"

But fortunately you added a smiley, which do not come through over the email. Whassup wit dat, Huddler?
  • Reply 11 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    tons of evidence.

50,000,000 to be close to exact.
    I think you know what that number means.
    Tons of evidence in your fantasy land. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 157
    Since Apple releases the iPhone on the Friday following the Public Unveiling that would put the Release date as Friday Sept 12, and not Sept 19 that is in the article.
  • Reply 13 of 157
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    tons of evidence.

No one with any high-level knowledge of Apple believes a 5.5" is imminent.
  • Reply 14 of 157
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

where? it's currently available called iPhone 5S

• Reply 15 of 157
    I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.
  • Reply 16 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

tons of evidence.

Like power button leak and some analyses from Ming Chi Kuo? lol...dream on.

• Reply 17 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There’s no credible evidence a 5.5" iPhone is coming.

Fixed. I’m totally in favor of a 5.5” iPod touch.

tons of evidence. 50,000,000 to be close to exact.

Fifty million evidence? What’s the exchange rate for an evidence? If you could, in USD and FUD please.

• Reply 18 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.

LOL.. Unstable "several" system apps out of 1.2 million apps...when an iOS with over 92% penetration, Apple can just ignore those the comments above. 

Gimmicky step back like: activation lock? iPhone audio? AirDrop? Control center? Camera burst mode? iTunes Radio? automatic apps update? Multitasking? 

You must be trolling.

• Reply 19 of 157
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No one with any high-level knowledge of Apple believes a 5.5" is imminent.

Anyone with a high-level of knowledge of Apple has no comment so we don't know what they believe.

• Reply 20 of 157
    Quote:

Its 50,000,000 instances of evidence for a 5.5 phone.

You still don't know what that is?

I guess they're not the only ones. Why don't you just enlighten us.... thanks.