Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

…so the impact on Apple’s next smartphone isn't entirely clear.

It’s obvious, at least, that it was Apple’s fault. If they just made products out of plastic instead of aluminum, this never would have happened.

• Reply 42 of 157
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Learn to read for content, that was not a Foxconn plant. The Foxconn plant is only shut down due to mandatory inspections required after this incident.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's a braking news report from about 6 hours ago of another aluminum dust explosion at a Foxconn plant killing 75 people. That factory is said to be producing parts for GM but because the Chinese government is said to have put an emergency halt to all similar aluminum production at Foxconn facilities the iPhone 6 may see delays now due to the accident. It's still early tho so the impact on Apple's next smartphone isn't entirely clear.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/iphone-6-release-expected-be-delayed-following-chinese-factory-explosion-1459840
  • Reply 43 of 157
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Learn to read for content, that was not a Foxconn plant. The Foxconn plant is only shut down due to mandatory inspections required after this incident.

Thanks. I had already gone back to correct as well as braking to breaking. :embarrass
  • Reply 44 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to the re/code article: Apple declined comment.

Until Dalrymple says 'Not Likely' I'll live with a Mossberg minion's statement as 'stronger than rumor'

• Reply 45 of 157
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Further clarification:

The accident actually took place two days ago, with Foxconn's similar metal polishing now halted by the government until their procedures can be examined and any required changes put in place.
    http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/874070.shtml
  • Reply 46 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I think people missed a bit in the parsing of this article. It referenced the two iPhone sizes AND a new form factor. Could this mean that iWatch is a new cell phone, or does Apple have something else up its sleeves? Maybe a folder?
    iWatch will be a ring that controls the new Apple TV.
  • Reply 47 of 157
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...Chinese government is said to have put an emergency halt to all similar aluminum production including those at Foxconn facilities the iPhone 6 may see delays now due to the accident. 

If the iPhone 6 uses a liquid metal case as some of the leaked photos suggest, perhaps there is no aluminum being polished by Foxconn for Apple, hence no delay.

• Reply 48 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Isn't it a bit interesting that we don't have Wall Street analysts and other talking heads going on and on about how Apple needs a low cost iPhone? That's all anyone talked about last year. Now crickets. Did they finally get religion?
  • Reply 49 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If the iPhone 6 uses a liquid metal case ....

My portfolio hopes and prays that this rumor comes true...... :D

• Reply 50 of 157
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    neilm wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    4.7" this 5.5" that....where's my 4" iPhone?

I don't think we should assume that the current form factor will be discontinued, at least not in the near future. If demand for it peters away in favor of a larger iPhone, then that's a decision that can be taken at the time.

Good point. Can't see the 4" disappear myself. Further, I think even with a 4.7" screen iPhone they would update the current 4" screen model with new innards. Or at least, I hope so.

mstone wrote: »
    If the iPhone 6 uses a liquid metal case as some of the leaked photos suggest, perhaps there is no aluminum being polished by Foxconn for Apple, hence no delay.

That would be way too large for the use of Liquid Metal.
  • Reply 51 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You're dreaming of Steve Jobs's style too much. It's his signature keynote presentation and no one else at Apple would want to do that to make the fool of himself. Tim Cook has his own way of presenting keynote by delegating others SVP to present their parts. What you have seen so far under Tim Cooks is the format now, no surprise, no "One More Thing" whatsoever.

Although, 

"Can't Innovate, My Ass"

is a nice catch phrase;-)  But it's needs a lot of spacing and a real innovation to make it work.

Also, Product Releases at WWDC or MacWorld had the Fandom reaction....   'Media Events' are supposed to be filled with dispassionate reporters with pads and pencils....   'One More Thing...' slide is a 'treat' for the consumer, not fodder for the press deadline.   

In fact, I liked it better when Apple did the 'One More Thing' as a simple press/product release a week after the event.

• Reply 52 of 157
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I am really curious how Apple solved the one handed use of 5.5" Display phone. I am not sure how many of you played with a 5.1" Samsung phone, I recently had the chance to use one and could not believe how they claim you can use it one handed.

What they have do is calibrate the reach of thumb by moving it back and forth across the display then is shrinks the actual display to the reach of your thumb. What you end up with is a phone with a 5.1" physical display that has been shrunk down to about a 4.5 display with the balance of the display all blacked out. 

This just show you how stupid it is to have a larger display when they have to start doing stuff like this to make it usable, this just demonstrates what Steve Jobs has said, do not ask consumers what they want they have not clue, They ask for things which do not work.

This is also another example of technology is a failure and software types think they can fix a hardware issue with software.

You know how this discussion went, hey the phone is too big to use one handed and not big enough to put both hands on it comfortably, the software team says we can fix that we just shrink the usable space to size which make it work with one hand.

• Reply 53 of 157
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am really curious how Apple solved the one handed use of 5.5" Display phone.

By not making one?

What you end up with is a phone with a 5.1" physical display that has been shrunk down to about a 4.5 display with the balance of the display all blacked out. 

Proving, of course, that the display is too large to be used.

• Reply 54 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.

I agree, looking at Note 4. Can't deal with this constant ugrading every two years with incremental upgrades from most devices nowadays. Want a phone now that will last me a while now and I get my monies worth out of it.

I have a Mac,iPad Air and iPhone 5, looking like i'll miss the 6 as just wider and longer like the change from 3.5 form factor to 4 with no change in how iOS works within the device, unless something changes next month i'll make the switch to the Note 4 and b4 happy. I like both brands despite people arguing over who is better.

• Reply 55 of 157
    rogifan wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit interesting that we don't have Wall Street analysts and other talking heads going on and on about how Apple needs a low cost iPhone? That's all anyone talked about last year. Now crickets. Did they finally get religion?

No, no! In punditopia, they need to do both. In order to succeed and expunge their current miserable record of failure, Apple needs to:

A) Emulate the huge screen remedial phones that have seized ~20% of the market (If shipments were sales and beggars would ride...or something), and:

2) Bring out a cheap phone that will make them absolutely no money.

This is the only road to success of the kind that giants like Samsung are enjoying.
  • Reply 56 of 157
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

fortunately most people have 2 hands.

Which, as we know, are available at ALL times, and for ALL uses, to manage your cell phone, regardless of the situation in which you want to use it¡

• Reply 57 of 157
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I am really curious how Apple solved the one handed use of 5.5" Display phone. I am not sure how many of your played with a 5.1" Samsung phone, I recently had the chance to use one and could not believe how they claim you can use it one handed.

This just show you how stupid it is to have a larger display when they have to start doing stuff like this to make it usable, this just demonstrates what Steve Jobs have said do not ask consumers what they want they have not clue, They ask for things which do not work.

Consumers want a faster horse ;)
  • Reply 58 of 157
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

And come September 12th your 4inch iPhone will be $100 cheaper;-)

Good it isn't just me that thinks that the first Friday after the proposed unvieling date isn't the 19th that AI mentioned.

• Reply 59 of 157
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post

I agree, looking at Note 4. Can't deal with this constant ugrading every two years with incremental upgrades from most devices nowadays. Want a phone now that will last me a while now and I get my monies worth out of it.

I have a Mac,iPad Air and iPhone 5, looking like i'll miss the 6 as just wider and longer like the change from 3.5 form factor to 4 with no change in how iOS works within the device, unless something changes next month i'll make the switch to the Note 4 and b4 happy. I like both brands despite people arguing over who is better.

I don't understand your point.  Everything about iOS8 was announced earlier this summer at the WWDC.  Lots of interesting and powerful stuff built in that will allow developers to make great new apps (and update existing apps).  No new hardware required to take advantage of that.  If the next iPhone has hardware features you like, then feel free to upgrade to new hardware.  To get new OS features just wait for the free update option to appear in a month or two.

• Reply 60 of 157
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Consumers want a faster horse image

No, we want sleeker, more stylish buggy whips.