Analyst: Apple could equip 5.5" 'iPhone 6' with more powerful processor than 4.7" model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Until now, the fact that I didn't know such a thing exists.

Do you know if they're any good?

I have a stylus for the iPad but I stopped using it after the first few days.

The fact is that, until there is a digitizer on the screen, it is very difficult to get precision, especially for drawing. There are a lot of new styluses (stylii?) with a lot of pressure points, but you still get a noticeable lag when using them.

An iPad with a Wacom-like digitizer is one thing I really want. Whether it happens or not is up in the (iPad) air.

• Reply 62 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple stopped making people have to chose with iPads, they shouldn't start doing it with iPhones.

Apple still does it with computers, though. Want a dedicated GPU? Gotta buy the bigger screen. Want easily replaceable RAM? Gotta buy the bigger one. In fact, you have to buy a bigger display just to get more STORAGE! Talk about arbitrary!

Apple is not above artificial delineation.

• Reply 63 of 82
    Quote:

Don't assume what you want is what everyone else wants. Currently Apple is selling a record number of iPhones. iPhones with a 4" display. For a long time the 4S was one of their most popular models and that has an even smaller display. You have no hard evidence to suggest most iPhone users want a phablet.

Nor does anyone have any "hard evidence" that people prefer smaller screens. What little published research we've seen has either combined screen preference with other factors like price or used moving goalposts (4.5" Phone A is classified as "Large" while 4.5" Phone B is classified as "Medium"). No one has published a survey that asked users "All else being equal, what size display do you prefer?"

"Record sales" don't necessarily mean Apple has hit the sweet spot, either. There are lots of reasons to choose an iPhone, and on this very forum we've heard from many who say they bought theirs IN SPITE of the screen size, not because of it. Maybe a larger screen will set new, even HIGHER records for sales. Or you could be right, and it may not sell well. We simply don't have good enough information to make meaningful predictions.

• Reply 64 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    harry wild wrote: »
    From what I heard; Apple is going to be competing directly with Samsung's Note 4!

So, they have to play by Samsung's rules.  Samsung's Note 4 will have better components then the Samsung S5!

I read that Apple will have these phones in September:

iPhone 6 5.5" Premium model - better screen, better SoC, 128GB storage.
    iPhone 6 4.7" Mid tier model - up to 64GB
    iPhone 5C Budget model with the 32GB option removed.  Only 16GB available in U.S. model. 

Discontinue: 5S
    except that Samsung doesn't release the Note at the same time as the Galaxy S. One is released in the spring, one in the fall. They're basically two different products with different names.

No one has yet been able to provide a good reason for screen size determining what is "premium" other than this artificial differentiation. Is there a technical reason for the 5.5" model having a better screen and higher storage? I doubt it because it's not the case with iPads any more. I understand the concept of Good($) > Better($$) > Best($$$) but screen size shouldn't have anything to do with it. Currently Apple's pricing tiers for iOS devices are based on storage, not hardware or features. I don't think they should change that.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    Nor does anyone have any "hard evidence" that people prefer smaller screens. What little published research we've seen has either combined screen preference with other factors like price or used moving goalposts (4.5" Phone A is classified as "Large" while 4.5" Phone B is classified as "Medium"). No one has published a survey that asked users "All else being equal, what size display do you prefer?"

"Record sales" don't necessarily mean Apple has hit the sweet spot, either. There are lots of reasons to choose an iPhone, and on this very forum we've heard from many who say they bought theirs IN SPITE of the screen size, not because of it. Maybe a larger screen will set new, even HIGHER records for sales. Or you could be right, and it may not sell well. We simply don't have good enough information to make meaningful predictions.
    You're right we don't. And I'm not arguing that Apple should make 4.7" the "premium" phone. I'm arguing that screen size shouldn't dictate what the best phone is.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    sog35 wrote: »
    Bottom line: Apple wants to sell a bunch of $299 contract phones.

How do you do that? Give the bigger phone more features.

iPhone 6 - 5.5 screen, faster A8, sapphire screen - $299
    iPhone 6 - 4.7 screen, A8 - $199
    iPhone Color - Plastic, 4 inch screen, A7, Touch ID - $99
    iPhone 5C - Free
    Currently Apple's pricing is based on storage. More storage = more expensive. Sure it's possible they could change that but why does screen size even have to come in to play? Settle on a screen size and have different models. Then people don't have to make compromises. It's all about price, not "I'd really prefer a 4.7" phone but I'd also like the better screen and camera". You want the best features you pay more.

If Apple is going the 5.5" route as well then they should make it a completely new device and have it be separate from the iPhone with unique features that take advantage of the larger screen. And sell it at different times of the year. Right now Apple has nothing to fill calendar Q1 or Q2. A 5.5" device could fill that gap.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:

I'm not arguing that Apple should make 4.7" the "premium" phone. I'm arguing that screen size shouldn't dictate what the best phone is.

I know, I understand. I'm saying that you may not get the product equity you're hoping for. Apple has demonstrated a willingness to make the artificial distinctions you describe.

• Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

My prediction is the 5.5" will come with a rainbow vomiting unicorn.

Oh please; as if!

Unicorns may bestow rainbows; they're certainly not going to vomit them. Try and keep some semblance of reality.

• Reply 69 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So much wrong in this comment.

1. iPhone MS isn't that large. They have a good, better, best already. Designing for everyone is designing for no one. Can't please everyone so don't waste time trying.

2. How was the 5C botched? It outsold what the 4S did last year.

3. Apple doesn't have a problem. Why would the plans change according to device?

4. Lots of people use their iPhones outdoors and have no problems. Sport version is a marketing gimmick.

My prediction is the 5.5" will come with a rainbow vomiting unicorn.

Agree with everything except for water resistance. The technology is already out there to coat PBCs with a water repellent film that doesn't affect normal operation or cooling. I wouldn't go so far as to market a "sports" model, nor to brag about "mil-spec" submersibility since this would require the use of awkward and easy to lose plastic covers for external ports (a la Samsung). Nonetheless, providing some degree of water resistance seems like a no-brainer as it would give users some peace of mind to use their devices when exposed to perspiration, an occasional rain shower or around damp, poolside environments.

If you agree with a rainbow-creating unicorn, I would have thought waterproof is more likely than water-resistant; it's got to survive a flood.

• Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

More proof that the 5.5 is coming on.

So obvious at this point.

Nope.

• Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:

Quote:

It's not about price. Not everyone wants a phablet.

buy bigger pants or lose weight.

problem solved.

You got that the wrong way round; phablets are for the fat-fingered, the clumsy and the short-sighted.

• Reply 72 of 82
    Quote:

Quote:

Bet you look great in your dad jeans.

two words:

Man.

Purse.

two letters:

No.

• Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:

Quote:

"If you see a stylus, they blew it."

- Steve Jobs

In general that's true, but there are some tasks for which, let's face it, a fingertip is just too blunt a tool. A stylus option would be welcome.

That's why styli have been on the market for four years. Your point is redundant.

• Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

From what I heard; Apple is going to be competing directly with Samsung's Note 4!

So, they have to play by Samsung's rules.  Samsung's Note 4 will have better components then the Samsung S5!

I read that Apple will have these phones in September:

iPhone 6 5.5" Premium model - better screen, better SoC, 128GB storage.

iPhone 6 4.7" Mid tier model - up to 64GB

iPhone 5C Budget model with the 32GB option removed.  Only 16GB available in U.S. model. 

Discontinue: 5S

Nope.

iPhone 6

iPhone 5sc

iPhone 5c

Think.

• Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:

Quote:

Don't assume what you want is what everyone else wants. Currently Apple is selling a record number of iPhones. iPhones with a 4" display. For a long time the 4S was one of their most popular models and that has an even smaller display. You have no hard evidence to suggest most iPhone users want a phablet.

Wrong. 100% of iPhone users prefer 4" or smaller screens.

• Reply 76 of 82
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    :rolleyes:
    sog35 wrote: »
    you yourself said it.

compare the 1st Gen iPadMini and iPad.
    The 1st Gen iPad mini was essentially identical (in terms of specs) to the iPad 2, which they were still making as an entry level unit at the time. The main difference was the size, and the Lightning connector.

The current model iPad mini (with Retina Display) is pretty much the same as the iPad Air, except for the size of the unit.
    Even Samdung uses better hardware for their Note3 vs Galaxy S5.  
    I don't see what the big deal is.
    The Note 3 isn't the same phone as a Galaxy S5. A better comparison would be the numerous HTC One models.
    So is that a model Apple should use? Is it a model that they want to use? I don't think so.
    Its like expecting the MacBookAir to be just as powerful as the top of the line MacBookPro.
    No, it's more like expecting the 11" MacBook Air to be just as powerful as the 13" MacBook Air. Which it is.
    Its just so much easier to make a device more powerful if its bigger.
    And if making it more powerful is your only concern, you should make your phones the size of a 12-place dining table. (I believe this is the plan for the Note 6. That will be a really powerful phone.)
    I know, I understand. I'm saying that you may not get the product equity you're hoping for. Apple has demonstrated a willingness to make the artificial distinctions you describe.
    No they haven't. The distinctions they have made aren't aritificial. The MacBook Pro 13" only uses a dual core CPU, and doesn't have the stand-alone GPU primarily due to the physical space available in the form factor. The 21.5" iMac uses lower base-speed CPUs (but with the same Turbo speed) than the options available in the 27", again due to fitting things into the smaller housing, and allowing for heat dissipation. Differences in the iMac GPUs are at least partly due to the different screen resolutions.

Typically, the system components of the iPhone or the iPad are much smaller (relative to device size) than those for a desktop or laptop PC. The largest component is the battery, and we can expect, should the 5.5" model be real, that it will be larger in the larger model. Oh, and the cables will be longer. Any other difference will be for technical reasons (eg better GPU to drive more pixels), not to create a "premium" phone.

Besides, Apple tends not to announce the processor speed of their phones or tablets. We only hear what they are when third-parties get hold of them and do their tests and/or teardowns. Apple say what model of processor is in it (and in the case of the A7 that it's 64-bit) and that's it. They don't even say how much RAM is in it. Apple clearly don't care about creating a "premium" phone model, the only people who do seem to be those who want to justify their desire for the larger screen. If you want a 5.5" phone, why do you care that it's better than the 4.7"? If they're otherwise identical, get the screen size you want, and shut up.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

iPhone 5SC

*shudder*

• Reply 78 of 82
    [QUOTE name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/181676/analyst-apple-could-equip-5-5-iphone-6-with-more-powerful-processor-than-4-7-model/80#post_2574473"]

[QUOTE]
    iPhone 5SC

[/QUOTE]

*shudder*
    [/QUOTE]

I, too, shudder with delight at the prospect of the 5SC.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

No they haven't. The distinctions they have made aren't aritificial. The MacBook Pro 13" only uses a dual core CPU, and doesn't have the stand-alone GPU primarily due to the physical space available in the form factor. The 21.5" iMac uses lower base-speed CPUs (but with the same Turbo speed) than the options available in the 27", again due to fitting things into the smaller housing, and allowing for heat dissipation. Differences in the iMac GPUs are at least partly due to the different screen resolutions.

The space inside the smaller iMac is not so constrained as to make it impossible to include a GPU. If it is, then it is truly a case of form over function, isn't it?

What about the example of storage capacity? Is the 21" too small to accommodate a 1TB SSD? Is that why the maximum available in the machine is 512GB?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

Apple clearly don't care about creating a "premium" phone model, the only people who do seem to be those who want to justify their desire for the larger screen. If you want a 5.5" phone, why do you care that it's better than the 4.7"? If they're otherwise identical, get the screen size you want, and shut up.

Apparently you haven't been keeping up, yet you're okay with telling people to shut up. Nice. :no:

This is NOT about those who want a larger screen calling for it to be better. The ARTICLE says the larger device may have features the smaller one doesn't, and the people who want the SMALLER screen are saying "It better NOT!"

(Edit: Corrected typos)

• Reply 80 of 82
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    The space inside the smaller iMac is not so constrained as to make it impossible to include a GPU. If it is, then it is truly a case of form over function, isn't it?

What about the example of storage capacity? Is the 21" too small to accommodate a 1TB SSD? Is that why the maximum available in the machine is 512GB?
    I'll admit I hadn't checked the available SSD sizes. I've had a look at the teardown photos on iFixit, and it's hard to say. It's also hard to get a look at the relative sizes of 1TB and 512GB PCIe SSDs. Maybe they don't fit. Or maybe Apple are making a non-Technical distinction between the two models I was unaware of.
    Apparently you haven't been keeping up, yet you're okay with telling people to shut up. Nice. :no:
    I apologise if this statement caused offence. It wasn't meant to, it was a reaction to the posters on this thread who have been posting "The 5.5 is going to be better! Suck It!" over and again on this discussion thread.
    This is NOT about those who want a larger screen calling for it to be better. The ARTICLE says the larger device may have features the smaller one doesn't, and the people who want the SMALLER screen are saying "It better NOT!"
    I believe the article, and the analyst's report it is based on, is wrong. I believe this position is supported by Apple's current product line, and their past policies with their mobile devices. Other people on this thread believe the article is correct, and have been refusing to acknowledge arguments to the contrary, and have essentially resorted to a combnation of name-calling and non-sequiturs to shore up their position.

Again, I apologise if I offended anyone with my remarks. I merely meant to demonstrate how Apple's current product line and apparent policies indicate that making a "premium" phone of the type described is unlikely.