Apple continues European retail expansion with new Istanbul, Den Haag outlets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Consumers in at least two European nations are set to gain more brick-and-mortar options for purchasing Apple products and receiving service, as the iPhone maker is readying a second store in Istanbul to open next month while a new shop in The Hague will host its own debut on Saturday.

Construction progress on the second Istanbul store | Courtesy Elma Dirgisi
Construction progress on the second Istanbul store | Courtesy Elma Dirgisi

Apple will bring its retail experience to Istanbul's Akasya Shopping Center in September, according to Turkish blog Elma Dergisi. If that timeline holds true, it would be just five months after the opening of Apple's first Turkish outlet in the upscale Zorlu Center.

Unlike the Zorlu Center store -- which sits beneath unique glass box reminiscent of the flagship Fifth Avenue shop -- the Akasya location appears to be a smaller, more standard in-mall design. At least two more Turkish outlets are thought to be in the works as Apple ramps up its presence in the region.

Apple opened an online storefront in Turkey last October, and CEO Tim Cook later met with Turkish President Abdullah Gul to discuss the brick-and-mortar locations as well as additional partnerships with the government.

The future home of Apple's new outlet in The Hague, left, before construction began
The future home of Apple's new outlet in The Hague, left, before construction began

The Netherlands, meanwhile, will add a third location to its Apple Store inventory this weekend with the opening of a new outlet in The Hague. Apple has leased a prominent space in The Passage, a famous covered shopping street in the city more widely as the home of the International Criminal Court than as a shopping destination.

Apple currently operates retail stores in the Dutch cities of Amsterdam and Haarlem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Istanbul not Constantinople? :)
  • Reply 2 of 45

Hey, Apple, 

What about giving us in Desdemona, Texas, some love?

• Reply 3 of 45
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Istanbul not Constantinople? image

Definitely Istanbul unless you consider the Apple Store SoHo as being in New Amsterdam!

• Reply 4 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jungmark wrote: »

What is the source of this stupidity, which seems to be compulsory whenever Istanbul is mentioned?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    flaneur wrote: »
    What is the source of this stupidity, which seems to be compulsory whenever Istanbul is mentioned?

You're smart enough to use Google or Bing...
  • Reply 6 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

• Reply 7 of 45
    Next Apple store in Brussels, main city of europe and NATO hq....when...?
  • Reply 8 of 45

the first store in zorlu in istanbul is a flop, imo. it is spectucularly huge and empty.

• Reply 9 of 45
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Istanbul not Constantinople? image

Been a long time gone, Constantinople.... :)

• Reply 10 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Yup, grand opening in The Hague this Saturday. Will see many familiar faces there.

Meanwhile, Angela is touring Stores. Just not abroad:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/bizwomen/news/latest-news/2014/08/3-things-to-know-from-angela-ahrendts-debut-tour.html

http://tinyurl.com/pqmax5z
  • Reply 11 of 45

(link)

Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    You're smart enough to use Google or Bing...

I maybe have better things to do with my time, thanks anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    chia wrote: »
    Definitely Istanbul unless you consider the Apple Store SoHo as being in New Amsterdam!

Wow, history, in the face of junk pop-culture ignorant xenophobic insult? I sincerely wish you good luck with that.
  • Reply 14 of 45

Constanbul/Istantinople; you decide. ????
  • Reply 15 of 45
    elfig2012 wrote: »
    Next Apple store in Brussels, main city of europe and NATO hq....when...?

Not seeing the synergy between Apple (a fruit) and Brussel Sprouts (a vegetable).
  • Reply 16 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Hey, that’s supposed to [@]SolipsismX[/@]'s line. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Constanbul/Istantinople; you decide. ????

You're on a roll today, or is it a crumpet?
  • Reply 18 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Wow, history, in the face of junk pop-culture ignorant xenophobic insult? I sincerely wish you good luck with that.

I am curious how you get ignorant or xenophobic from his comment. What is wrong with history? What is wrong with a song that simply notes the name change? Your pro-Constantine comment sounds like you're doing what some people from the southern states in the US that hate America, "Yankees", want Texas to secede, and talk about how the South will rise again and display their Confederate flags with pride. You're all welcome to feel that the previous regime was better but the fact remains that it's once again called Istanbul.

PS: Would you have the same passion against a song that stated "New York City, not New Amaterdam" or "St. Petersburg, not Leningrad" or "American Midwest, not France's Louisiana Territory" or "Apple, Inc., not Apple Computers, Inc." or "David Bowie, not Davie Jones" or "KFC, not Kentucy Fried Chicken"?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"American Midwest, not France's Louisiana Territory"

Number 5 in the top 40 in Paris, strangely enough.

"KFC, not Kentucy Fried Chicken"

KFC, not Kentucky Fried Chicken,

Used to sell real food,

That was finger lickin’,

Now they’ve changed the name,

For bad legal reasons,

Try the Doub-le-Down! (with-real-flav’ring)

• Reply 20 of 45
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I am curious how you get ignorant or xenophobic from his comment. What is wrong with history? What is wrong with a song that simply notes the name change? Your pro-Constantine comment sounds like you're doing what some people from the southern states in the US that hate America, "Yankees", want Texas to secede, and talk about how the South will rise again and display their Confederate flags with pride. You're all welcome to feel that the previous regime was better but the fact remains that it's once again called Istanbul.

PS: Would you have the same passion against a song that stated "New York City, not New Amaterdam" or "St. Petersburg, not Leningrad" or "American Midwest, not France's Louisiana Territory" or "Apple, Inc., not Apple Computers, Inc." or "David Bowie, not Davie Jones" or "KFC, not Kentucy Fried Chicken"?

No, not well stated, but I was ironically congratulating ChiA for opposing—by referencing history—that cross-cultural insult that always seems to come up when Istanbul comes up.

Put yourself in the place of someone from Turkey. If you don't get a joke from the American that plays on the name of your country, the name of your greatest city, the quality of your jails (since "Midnight Express), or some aspect of backwardness (since "the sick man of Europe"), you may be excused in thinking you've finally met someone who is taking you straight as a fellow citizen of Earth..

It's particularly galling to me because I know that Anatolia was the site of the earliest towns, earliest agriculture, oldest ceremonial architecture (Göbekli Tepe), the most hospitable people I've ever encountered, the most fun to hang out with. I've seen many an American make a lout of himself when meeting one of my Turkish friends. It's made me aware of the general blindness of those from a dominant culture to the asymmetric dynamics of joking about another's culture. Civilized people dispense with all that and get right down to learning about the other.