App Store revenue, number of customers both reached new records for Apple in July

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple on Tuesday revealed that the month of July was the best ever for its digital software downloads, as the App Store generated more revenue and had more customers make purchases than ever before.

App Store

Apple's record setting month was disclosed by the company to CNBC, on Tuesday, though specifics about July -- including how much revenue the App Store earned or how many active customers it saw -- were not disclosed. Apple later confirmed the same information to AppleInsider.

The details show that the App Store has continued to grow over the years, becoming the top destination for not only users to download new mobile applications, but also for developers to turn a profit from their efforts.

Apple's disclosure comes amid market jitters stirred by hedge funds who are said to be concerned about a market pullback on shares of AAPL. It's possible that the company timed the release to help protect its investors and potentially stave off a downturn.

In the preceding June quarter, Apple had already disclosed that its iTunes billings grew 25 percent in the three-month span, reaching an all-time high.

The company also said at the time, with numbers that did not include July, that developers have earned more than $20 billion on the App Store to date, with nearly half of that in the last year alone, as the business continues to accelerate.

AppleInsider readers can get all of their daily news from the official AppleInsider app, which is available optimized for both iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Their digital downloads must be hitting the steep growth curve on the 'hockey stick' right now. Sounds good!

So in the past year alone, Apple made at least $3 billion on downloads? Am I right?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Their digital downloads must be hitting the steep growth curve on the 'hockey stick' right now. Sounds good!

So in the past year alone, Apple made at least $3 billion on downloads? Am I right?

Sounds like it would be in that neighborhood.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

I don't think it would make sense for this release to be to "help investors" as the article is proposing. If the stock pulls back, Apple will help investors by buying back more shares.

• Reply 4 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Not a rumor. Not an analyst.

Straight from Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 12

Hey Google, where are your numbers?

Oh, I forgot. They're so pathetic you don't even break them out on your earnings calls.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Hey Google, where are your numbers?

Oh, I forgot. They're so pathetic you don't even break them out on your earnings calls.

Google's cut of PlayStore sales last quarter was around $1.6B according to their latest financial results. That's about 10% of their reported total revenue. In addition AppAnnie was out with a report a couple weeks back indicating overall PlayStore revenue is up about 2.4x from this time last year. They're seeing some success. Perhaps not Apple-esque numbers but approaching a couple billion a quarter ain't bad. A whole lot more than most companies see in an entire year for their entire business.

With that said Eric not every Apple success has to be framed against what Google does. As a percentage of posts you might even bring them up more often than I do.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google's cut of PlayStore sales last quarter was around $1.6B according to their latest financial results. That's about 10% of their reported total revenue. In addition AppAnnie was out with a report a couple weeks back indicating overall PlayStore revenue is up about 2.4x from this time last year. They're seeing some success. Perhaps not Apple-esque numbers but approaching a couple billion a quarter ain't bad. A whole lot more than most companies see in an entire year for their entire business.

With that said Eric not every Apple success has to be framed against what Google does. As a percentage of posts you might even bring them up more often than I do.

Nah, just mentioned it to see how long it would take the Google shill to respond. Hook. Line. Sinker.

• Reply 8 of 12
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

So the App Store must be working for many.:\

At this time I've pretty given up on the App Store, my iPhone4 iOS7 App Store takes forever to start a download, it just spins!:???:

• Reply 9 of 12
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    One month ago I saw an infographic stating that for both Apple and Google about 80% of profits come from games in-app purchases. Is there something more official about it?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Nah, just mentioned it to see how long it would take the Google shill to respond. Hook. Line. Sinker.

Normally when people fish it's to catch the fish and eat it.  In this case you caught the fish but it ate you and spat your false statements back out.

Well done for catching the fish.

• Reply 11 of 12
    bradipao wrote: »
    One month ago I saw an infographic stating that for both Apple and Google about 80% of profits come from games in-app purchases. Is there something more official about it?

That's roughly correct according to what I've read. Somewhere between 80 and 90% of Google and Apple app stores revenues flow from in-app purchases and primarily in games. Do a search over at AppAnnie for more detailed info.
  • Reply 12 of 12

So posting just to get a reaction then? Not that I believe you but if you're telling the truth there is a word for that: Trolling. Fits right in with hook, line and sinker too. :\