Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
In addition to an expected bigger 4.7-inch display, Apple's next iPhone may also pack in a much larger battery, representing a 45 percent increase in capacity from the company's current flagship iPhone 5s.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

The latest rumor about the battery in Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" was posted to Chinese social media site Sin Weibo by analyst Sun Chang Xu. The note, which was highlighted by GforGames, suggests that the 4.7-inch version of Apple's next iPhone will boast a 2,100mAh battery.

If true, that would represent a huge 45.8 percent increase over the 1,440mAh battery Apple currently features in the iPhone 5s. It's possible that Apple could accomplish the increase by decreasing the size of other internal components, and also featuring more internal space with a larger display.

Apple's current flagship iPhone 5s features a display that measures 4 inches diagonally in a 16:9 ratio. The "iPhone 6" is rumored to come in two larger sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches.

Last month, an 1,810mAh battery purportedly for Apple's "iPhone 6" was shown off in photos that appeared online. But according to Sun's latest post, while the smaller battery was legitimate, it was only used for testing purposes during development of the final product.

According to Sun, the final design of the 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" will in fact come with an even larger 2,100mAh battery, which would be an increase of 660mAh from the iPhone 5s.

With "iPhone 6" rumors gaining steam as Apple heads into its anticipated fall launch, all questions will likely be answered on Sept. 9, when the company is expected to hold a media event to show off its next-generation iPhone. The device is rumored to have a next-generation "A8" processor and market watchers believe the update will lead to Apple's biggest product launch ever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103

I wouldn't mind trading some thinness and weight against a whole-day battery life... The 5S is gorgeous, but if you use LTE or the GPS a lot, an external battery or battery case is pretty much a requirement. I'd love to have the option of a 5Ah battery, even if that meant a thicker, heavier phone.

• Reply 2 of 103
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

Doesn't it have to have a bigger battery if there is a bigger screen to keep battery life the same? So at least some of that increase is necessary just for status quo. The screen on a 4.7" diagonal has 35% more area than the 4"

I don't know how that translates to actual power usage, but thinking that a 46% bigger battery is going to increase battery life by the same amount is disingenuous.

• Reply 3 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I wouldn't mind trading some thinness and weight against a whole-day battery life... The 5S is gorgeous, but if you use LTE or the GPS a lot, an external battery or battery case is pretty much a requirement. I'd love to have the option of a 5Ah battery, even if that meant a thicker, heavier phone.

Agreed.  I love my iPhone, but the battery life on my 5s is pretty abysmal, even after following all the guides that show you how to maximize your usage.

• Reply 4 of 103
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I'd rather have a thinner, lighter phone than a thicker, heavier one.  Even if it meant 10 hour battery life instead of 16.  There's a tradeoff in size and battery life, and Apple has hit that mark since they started I believe.  Need I point any doubters to the Macbook Pro Retina or MacBook Airs?

• Reply 5 of 103
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest rumor about the battery in Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" was posted to Chinese social media site Sin Weibo by analyst Sun Chang Xu.

Awesome rumor.

Hey, let's get dimsum for lunch.  Anybody?

• Reply 6 of 103
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I've only got close to running out of battery once.  I was driving using GPS for 5+ hours.  Just go buy a car charger.

You have all the answers, don't you?  Maybe this person's job doesn't involve driving.  Maybe he or she is out in the field all day w/o access to power and doesn't want a case.  There's nothing wrong with hoping for the iP6 to have a better battery life.  I work at a desk all day but I share the same hope.

Shocking to hear, perhaps, but not everyone's situation is like yours.

• Reply 7 of 103
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This only make logical sense to go to the bigger batter with more volume to utilize. 2100 sounds about right since it the same size Motorola use on their 4.7 Atriz and Razr phones. The only what they could go bigger is to grow the thickness.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    So just to be clear the 46% increase is over the iPhone 5 and not 5s cos i thought the 5s battery was worked out to be about an 1,570 mAh battery up from the iPhone 5 1,440 mAh battery,

As the article is stating the iPhone 5s has an 1,440 mAh battery which it does not the 5 had that which was released 2012.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    mrboba1 wrote: »
    Doesn't it have to have a bigger battery if there is a bigger screen to keep battery life the same? So at least some of that increase is necessary just for status quo. The screen on a 4.7" diagonal has 35% more area than the 4"

I don't know how that translates to actual power usage, but thinking that a 46% bigger battery is going to increase battery life by the same amount is disingenuous.

Great point. Very true. However , like the iPad Air. An IGZO screen could easily offset the screen size through efficiency. Additoinally, chipset improvements could make the phone run under less power than the current iPhone 5S.

My hope is baterry life is at least 1.5 times that of the iPhone 5S. Minimum. Pulling for 2.
  • Reply 10 of 103
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

I would have expected the previously rumoured 1810mAh battery to compensate for the extra screen size so hopefully this new size will bring some actual benefit in terms of battery life. Certainly larger screen sizes don't use up all additional battery power, one reason why large screen Android phones are much better than the iPhone in terms of battery life.

• Reply 11 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These kind of threads always crack me up. We all know Apple isn't going to make an iPhone that is thicker and heavier than the previous iPhone. The 3rd gen iPad was a anomaly (and people complained about it). People can complain all they want but if it bothers them that much then they need to get their phone elsewhere.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    rogifan wrote: »
    These kind of threads always crack me up. We all know Apple isn't going to make an iPhone that is thicker and heavier than the previous iPhone. The 3rd gen iPad was a anomaly (and people complained about it). People can complain all they want but if it bothers them that much then they need to get their phone elsewhere.

They also did this with the iPad mini.
    Apart from that, another limiting factor is the camera. Since I don't see them designing something with a stuck out optics then unless there is no step change in camera tech there will be not much room for decreasing the thickness.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    More baseless rumors do not make them true.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Apart from that, another limiting factor is the camera. Since I don't see them designing something with a stuck out optics then unless there is no step change in camera tech there will be not much room for decreasing the thickness.

This is the only thing that "concerns" me about the iP6.  I just don't like the lens protruding on the iPod, really hoping it doesn't on the new iPhone.  Since I don't use a case at all and my phone lies on the desk all day beside me, typing would be annoying as it wouldn't sit flat on the desk.

• Reply 15 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Give me a break. 

As a fan and investor, Apple should do better at providing better battery life. It shouldn't be the customer's problem! 

As a light-medium user who doesn't use a battery case, I've never seen so many iPhones in the wild WITH battery cases. Seeing so many out there clearly points to the fact that the current phone doesn't have an adequate battery for a lot of people.

For me, I would say it's 'okay.' But I would love to stream more and not have such a habit of plugging it in.

In an ideal world Apple would give you exactly what you need but I believe most people manage fine. Heavy users need to figure out how to top up on the go for themselves. It is not rocket science. I have a dash holder in my car where I put my iPhone whenever I drive. I don't spend huge amounts of time on the road but it takes car of 95% of all my charging needs. If you don't drive then perhaps a desktop charger would be a good move. Get to work, plug it in and stream and surf to your hearts content. If you spend most of your day on site and are never near a charging point a case would seem like a simple option. 

For me a thicker and heavier phone with longer battery life would be a loosing proposition.

• Reply 16 of 103
    I forgot about the iPad mini. Was it as noticeable as the 3rd gen iPad?
  • Reply 17 of 103
    sog35 wrote: »
    Sp you expect Apple to make the phone heavier, fatter, and uglier to satisfy 1% of the population? Really? Bottom line is most people are already satisfied with the 5s battery life.

If someone needs extended battery life they need to buy a $30 battery case. Whats easier? Have 1% of your customers buying cases or 99% of your customers mad about the size and weight of the phone?

Dont fool yourself . Apple pays millions to figure out what the optimal battery life vs weight ratio should be for the majority of there target market. Just because you have special 'needs' does not mean the rest of us have to suffer with a heavy phone.
    The only issue is IF/when competitor phones have better battery life. I don't use any Android or WP phones but if they're getting better battery life than iPhone that's a problem. Especially when Apple makes a big deal about the great battery life on their laptops. Perhaps Apple needs a battery saving mode. I believe WP has it and the Samsung Galaxy does as well.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    andysol wrote: »
    I'd rather have a thinner, lighter phone than a thicker, heavier one.  Even if it meant 10 hour battery life instead of 16.  There's a tradeoff in size and battery life, and Apple has hit that mark since they started I believe.  Need I point any doubters to the Macbook Pro Retina or MacBook Airs?

If they could somehow get an equivalent operating time increase as they did between the 2012 & 2013 macbook airs, all this hand wringing would be moot. My 2013 Haswell Air lasts forever (over 13 hours solid use)
  • Reply 19 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sp you expect Apple to make the phone heavier, fatter, and uglier to satisfy 1% of the population? Really? Bottom line is most people are already satisfied with the 5s battery life.

If someone needs extended battery life they need to buy a $30 battery case. Whats easier? Have 1% of your customers buying cases or 99% of your customers mad about the size and weight of the phone?

Dont fool yourself . Apple pays millions to figure out what the optimal battery life vs weight ratio should be for the majority of there target market. Just because you have special 'needs' does not mean the rest of us have to suffer with a heavy phone.

Asking for all day battery life is considered a special 'need?' 

• Reply 20 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The only issue is IF/when competitor phones have better battery life. I don't use any Android or WP phones but if they're getting better battery life than iPhone that's a problem. Especially when Apple makes a big deal about the great battery life on their laptops. Perhaps Apple needs a battery saving mode. I believe WP has it and the Samsung Galaxy does as well.

Yes.  For example, Moto X has a stellar battery life, especially when you consider it's "always on" listening.  I played with one for a few weeks, wasn't for me. But the battery life is terrific.