ABC News on Apple TV proves more popular than desktop & mobile in first month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2014
Apple TV users have flocked to ABC News's recently-unveiled live video offerings, the network said on Wednesday, with Apple TV viewers consuming 50 percent more live ABC News programming than viewers on desktops and mobile devices combined.

Live programming accounted for some 20 percent of the channel's total views, making the live stream the channel's most-watched video content. Viewership peaked on July 17, as Apple TV users tuned in for live coverage of the Malaysia Airlines flight that was downed over Ukraine.

Apple TV users also spend more time with ABC News's content in total. Those using the set-top streamer racked up 65 percent more viewing time than those on desktop computers.

Viewers also appear to be turning to the Apple TV in lieu of traditional cable programming, as ABC News reported that daily usage peaks at 9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. That comes in the middle of the hours traditionally referred to as "prime time," which generally runs from 8 p.m. Eastern to 11 p.m. Eastern.

ABC News launched on Apple TV in late June, bringing live and on-demand content to users with a cable subscription. Thanks to the channel's success, existing local content from New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, Fresno, and Milwaukee is set to be augmented by affiliates in Albuquerque, Boston, and Honolulu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Now if we could do without needing a cable subscription to watch certain things that would be a dream come true
  • Reply 2 of 20
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Now if we could do without needing a cable subscription to watch certain things that would be a dream come true

That will be a long time, if ever.. Comcast and other cable and satellite tv providers have a death grip on much of the networks. If they didn't they'd see a mass exodus and they are very afraid of seeing that. It's all about who's greasing who's palms.. 

Only way to break that really is for someone like Apple to come out with a great, easy, "Channel Store", similar in concept to the App Store,  where independent digital streaming broadcasters and the like can be born and can buy-in cheaply and bypass the networks, al la carte. That would require a lot of change with the Apple TV though and Apple would need to get into the TV advertising as such and that would open a whole NEW can of worms.. 

The Apple TV UI would need a MAJOR overhaul though.. it's current form is clunky and would not be very good for a massive volume of streaming digital broadcasters. 

• Reply 3 of 20
    AppleTV users turned to Apple and cried "save us from cable!" and Apple turned to the cable companies, who just shook their heads. "Not on our watch," they said to Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

And that's supporting only a handful of local regions- think about if they supported all the local regions.

The PBS app, for example, uses your location to determine what programming you get.  Why couldn't ABC do the same?

• Reply 5 of 20
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

You actually don't need a cable subscription to watch that particular channel.  

• Reply 6 of 20
    adrayven wrote: »
    The Apple TV UI would need a MAJOR overhaul though.. it's current form is clunky and would not be very good for a massive volume of streaming digital broadcasters. 

Maybe. But I see essentially the same UI of a grid of tiles or icons on the PlayStation Network or Xbox Live content libraries, and wonder why Apple's is especially worthy of criticism. Why?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AppleTV users turned to Apple and cried "save us from cable!" and Apple turned to the cable companies, who just shook their heads. "Not on our watch," they said to Apple.

The accumulated backlog of all their shows and movies will foam up about their iTunes Libraries and all the users will look up at Apple and shout “Save Us!” and the cable companies will whisper in Apple’s ear “No.

• Reply 8 of 20
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Not surprising to me at all. Even with the explosion of screen options for viewing video content, the TV remains the dominant viewing device by a wide margin, for the simple reason that it allows for comfortable viewing while lounging around the house. Computers don't allow that, as they are "lean forward" devices and video viewing is best done while leaning back. Mobile devices are nice for viewing on the go, but again, most video content viewing occurs at home. This has been reiterated in every credible tracking study of viewing habits.

As far as Apple TV goes, it never ceases to amaze me that people expect it to be some kind of cord cutting panacea by which to unshackle themselves from the cable/satellite/IPTV companies. Simply put - it won't happen. Too much money has been contractually tied down between the content providers and the pay TV carriers for Apple or anybody else to just swoop in and redistribute a full slate of programming for free or for a low cost.

Plus, you now have cable companies forming or acquiring their own networks, particularly with sports programming. The carriage agreements now run in the billions of dollars and can last for upwards of a decade or longer (for example, ESPN's newly inaugurated SEC Network requires a 20-year carriage commitment at ~$1.35 per household per month in SEC markets). With that kind of money and long-term lock down, the pay TV carriers have considerable leverage and Apple simply does not have an opening to disrupt the cable cabal in the near future. That's why any expansion of Apple TV will have to include the cable/satellite/IPTV companies at the table.

• Reply 9 of 20
    kotmarkotmar Posts: 17member

Yeah, its pretty good.  And so far no ads!

• Reply 10 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Viewers also appear to be turning to the Apple TV in lieu of traditional cable programming, as ABC News reported that daily usage peaks at 9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

Instead of banging their heads against the wall-of-Television-as-we-know-it, Apple is gradually building a better wall.  More and more icons appear in the Apple TV home screen, each one representing a brick moving from the old-TV wall to the Apple TV wall.

• Reply 11 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Not surprising to me at all. Even with the explosion of screen options for viewing video content, the TV remains the dominant viewing device by a wide margin, for the simple reason that it allows for comfortable viewing while lounging around the house. Computers don't allow that, as they are "lean forward" devices and video viewing is best done while leaning back. Mobile devices are nice for viewing on the go, but again, most video content viewing occurs at home. This has been reiterated in every credible tracking study of viewing habits.

As far as Apple TV goes, it never ceases to amaze me that people expect it to be some kind of cord cutting panacea by which to unshackle themselves from the cable/satellite/IPTV companies. Simply put - it won't happen. Too much money has been contractually tied down between the content providers and the pay TV carriers for Apple or anybody else to just swoop in and redistribute a full slate of programming for free or for a low cost.

Plus, you now have cable companies forming or acquiring their own networks, particularly with sports programming. The carriage agreements now run in the billions of dollars and can last for upwards of a decade or longer (for example, ESPN's newly inaugurated SEC Network requires a 20-year carriage commitment at ~$1.35 per household per month in SEC markets). With that kind of money and long-term lock down, the pay TV carriers have considerable leverage and Apple simply does not have an opening to disrupt the cable cabal in the near future. That's why any expansion of Apple TV will have to include the cable/satellite/IPTV companies at the table.

Agree almost completely.  Just a minor comment about this sentence:

"Too much money has been contractually tied down between the content providers and the pay TV carriers for Apple or anybody else to just swoop in and redistribute a full slate of programming for free or for a low cost."

I'd be happy to pay a little more (but too much more) than I'm currently paying f-ing DirecTV if I could have a vastly better front-end to all of that content.  It's torture typing keywords on-screen with the remote.  It's torture trying to remember what show is on what network. It's torture trying to remember 3- and 4-digit channel numbers.  IMHO all of that needs to go away.  Eventually, I want to say this to Siri: "Are there any new episodes of Mad Men?  Good.  Show me the first one now."

I don't care about "free or for a low cost."  You're right: it's never going to happen.  On the other hand, as long as it's not too expensive, I'd pay more for a better content organization and discovery mechanism.  And that probably means eliminating the old-school 45-button remote, by the way.

• Reply 12 of 20
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    This is bad news! (No pun intended.) it is going to scare the shit out of the cable companies who are the real obstacle in the acquisition of content for Apple TV. They already fear that they will lose control of their monopolies if Apple gets their way and this just reinforces it. Apple has enough cash. They should just purchase Time Warner and take control of their own content and delivery system. Further, the Justice Department needs to wake up and do their job and prevent further consolidation in the cable industry. We pay far too much for horribly bad service under the current monopolistic system. Communities need to be barred from granting exclusive deals to these companies thus shutting off price and service competition. It is time to shake up this industry in a big way. But as long as this country insanely let's these big companies consolidate more and more lining the pockets of the 10% (really more like the 1%), while they put a stranglehold on competition, the rest of us are screwed.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I wish Apple would just buy an cable co and eliminate the cable box and force customers over to Apple TV. The uptake of iPhone, iPad, and Mac would skyrocket.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I wish Apple would just buy an cable co and eliminate the cable box and force customers over to Apple TV. The uptake of iPhone, iPad, and Mac would skyrocket.

No cable company has universal coverage. They all have their alloted markets and are not allowed to operate outside of them.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They all have their alloted markets and are not allowed to operate outside of them.

Ah, forced monopolies. That’s the American way!

• Reply 16 of 20
    Ah, forced monopolies. That’s the American way!

The funny thing is that they're called natural monopolies and there's not one thing natural about them.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

That will be a long time, if ever.. Comcast and other cable and satellite tv providers have a death grip on much of the networks. If they didn't they'd see a mass exodus and they are very afraid of seeing that. It's all about who's greasing who's palms.. 

Only way to break that really is for someone like Apple to come out with a great, easy, "Channel Store", similar in concept to the App Store,  where independent digital streaming broadcasters and the like can be born and can buy-in cheaply and bypass the networks, al la carte. That would require a lot of change with the Apple TV though and Apple would need to get into the TV advertising as such and that would open a whole NEW can of worms.. 

It's why it's time for Apple to build there own network and completely bypass the cable & mobile companies. This way they can have a direct link to all their devices (home, mobile, auto) via fiber and wi-fi and control the network for the best speeds possible.

• Reply 18 of 20
    It's why it's time for Apple to build there own network and completely bypass the cable & mobile companies. This way they can have a direct link to all their devices (home, mobile, auto) via fiber and wi-fi and control the network for the best speeds possible.

It would take all of their cash, and then some to do that. It would probably take decades to recover the cost.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-it-would-cost-google-to-build-a-cable-network-2012-12
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I already get HD ABC local tv here in Honolulu with an antenna. In fact, ABC and FOX are practically the only 2 channels you can get on antenna here. Apple TV needs NBC and CBS.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    To me, the writing is on the wall. Apple TV hasn't been updated in a long time, yet it's still breaks a sales record and people are still watching? Apple TV could in fact be The Next Big Thing.

The next big thing was supposed to be Wii U, its interface and capabilities are genius but Nintendo's marketing and execution is GARBAGE.
    Apple needs to redesign this box and add some innovative and unexpected features which would get more people involved. I don't think gaming is this revolutionary thing.

They just might have to spend the dough tho'.
    I would like to see them acquire Time Warner or something that would give them the advantage needed(if government allows).

There's an obstacle here, but my spider senses are telling me this thing CAN be huge.