Only a Mac-hater Would Say "Go Buy a PC"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, let's end this once and for all...

I worked at an Apple Authorized dealer for 2.5 years. If a potential customer came in and started bitching about a Mac, and I told him/her, "Well if you don't like it, then go buy a PC", my boss would have my ass fired so fast my balls would hit my head.

Seriously, any Mac user who uses that line is doing their favorite platform a huge disservice. It's a short-cut to thinking, and not a very imaginative or intelligent one at that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ..and only a Mac zealot would make a thread like this.

Go buy another Mac and STFU.

People say that because they get sick of the whining and ranting from other members here. Those members have already made up their mind about Apple but just have an idiotic urge to whine about it. By saying "Fine, go buy a PC" we are trying to silence them, not that it does much good.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Kestral, in all my previous experiences, I have found the opposite to be the case. If I introduce to a potential customer the suggestion that maybe a Mac really isn't for them, they'll be more likely to listen to what I have to say. If I'm on a single-track, trying to sell them a Mac while also pretending PCs don't exist, they'll pass me off as a mac zealot.

This works best with first time buyers and older buyers. They won't have any preconceptions...or at elast those preconceptions won't be burned into their synapses. If I tell a customer that PCs are definitely cheaper, but the experience may not be as whole, they may start to listen. You have to explain why a Mac is worth more money than a PC, especially since raw MHz and other stale, common measures of PC power still linger.

With PC zealots, just let them have their way and shoo them away.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i have to agree with the last two posts....i am often the one lately telling malcontents and trolls to just stop saying you are going to buy a pc and go ahead and do it...i will argue in favor of the mac and i personally love the mac and apple...but when people demand that apple match pcs in specs and price and basically just become a pc or they won't buy one...well then, buy a pc...the thing is, the new iMac and the new iBook do just about match pcs in price and specs and still there are complaints that they are too expensive and are not upgradable....once again, apple will never be the same as pcs...if you want a pc, buy a pc...if you want a mac, buy a mac...i think the new apple consumer line is fantastic--old iMac for low end costs, new iMac with great features at a very good price...iBook kicks ass in form, function and price....apple just needs to update the pro/power line and all will be right with the world again....g

i personally want everyone to buy a mac...but a mac isn't for everybody...do we want people buying macs and then hating them and complaining loudly, or do we want people who buy macs to love and cherish them like we do....??
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I agree. The thing that we are sick and tired of is people coming on to the boards saying that they will go and buy a PC unless Apple releases a machine with a 4 GHz G5, 300 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, and a 512 MB Video card for under $1000.

Either that, or they come on to the boards to be 'convinced' to buy a Mac, and then counter everyone's posts on why they should with why their home built water cooled PC is better.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I suggest people go buy a Pc because many of them seem so unhappy around here.

Maybe a change of OS would do them some good.

Besides, I'd fire you, too if you worked for me but always tried to sell the competitors products.

But since I don't work for Apple, I don't see how it's my job to evangelize the platform.

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If I was a sales person at an Apple Store and a kid said: "Hi. I need a computer for nothing but gaming. What computer do you recomment for me?" I would say "Go buy an XBox, don´t buy a computer. Put the money you saved in the bank and save them for when you are going to college. Then you will be able to finance an iMac which serve your purpose far better at that time".

If the kid follow my advise he will say "Hey that guy in the Apple Store is pretty smart and he told me the truth and not what would make me buy one of his machines at any cost. Perhaps he is right I should buy an iMac when I need a new computer. Those computers must be pretty good."

If I had said "Then the iMac is just for you. It comes with the best graphics and is sooo cool. Yes its a bit expensive but remember the price include the game of the century Bugdom" six month from now he would hate me and Apple and make everybody around him do the same. Not good for buisness.

A couple of years ago I worked in customer service at the largest mobile telephone company here in Denmark. We had the largest number of plans and in my eyes had the best products in the buisness here except if you only used your telephone less than 20 minutes per year. One day a customer called and asked if there was a plan that was cheaper for his use. I could see that he NEVER used his phone and he told me that he only had it in case of emergency. I told him that the best he could do was to unsubscribe and either have it without a plan (you can always call 911 even w/o a plan here) or go to our competitors. He said thanks and cancelled his plan. My supervisor had the desk in front of mine and thougth it was the right thing I had done.

One week later I saw a post at a danish usenet group where he told his story and everybody responded that it was great service from my company and you could always trust my company aso. If I had lied to him and kept him on his plan and he had asked in the group whether what I had told him was right the responce had been the opposite. So always tell the truth even if the result is that you loose the customer. Its much better to have a non-customer that are happy with your service than a customer that aren´t. Too many companies don´t realise that.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>..and only a Mac zealot would make a thread like this.

Go buy another Mac and STFU.

People say that because they get sick of the whining and ranting from other members here. Those members have already made up their mind about Apple but just have an idiotic urge to whine about it. By saying "Fine, go buy a PC" we are trying to silence them, not that it does much good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

some people get sick of the constant praise and denial of apple's weaknesses by members here too.

you are looking at this from your point of view here.

people have every right to complain as much as the 80% that praise every move apple makes here.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I used to work in a computer store, I used to say " Find the software you want to use and buy the system it runs on". Apple is making so much hot software these days that's gonna sell a lot of macs, without being too outfront and crazy. By the way, I was discussing web pages with some PC hot shots in my class, they were showing me their web pages and stuff, so I pulled out my iBook connected to iTools and put up a page in about 7 or 8 minutes. They sat there in stunned silence for about a minute , then went over to the PC's and loaded it, just to make sure it was really there on the web. ( Like my iBook might have been lying eh?)The next question of course " Is there software like that for PC's?" I did cheat a little bit by using pictures that had already been loaded on my idisk, but hey, they were PC weenies, like they're ever honest with me about their computers.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: norfa ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by norfa:

<strong>I used to work in a computer store, I used to say " Find the software you want to use and buy the system it runs on". Apple is making so much hot software these days that's gonna sell a lot of macs, without being too outfront and crazy. By the way, I was discussing web pages with some PC hot shots in my class, they were showing me their web pages and stuff, so I pulled out my iBook connected to iTools and put up a page in about 7 or 8 minutes. They sat there in stunned silence for about a minute , then went over to the PC's and loaded it, just to make sure it was really there on the web. ( Like my iBook might have been lying eh?)The next question of course " Is there software like that for PC's?" I did cheat a little bit by using pictures that had already been loaded on my idisk, but hey, they were PC weenies, like they're ever honest with me about their computers.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: norfa ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL!