Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Well I will chill you a little bit it just about 35% bigger as the iPhone 5S got an 5.92 Wh battery (1560 mAh) which is rather huge for a ultra thin 4" phone. But going back to 4S to 5 transition, we saw noticeable battery life gains with just about 3% battery size increase. And this is far bigger than that, so its safe to say the new iPhone will get a noticeably better battery life as well, there will be that hard battery capacity that will not let it down. It will be biggest battery size increase in iPhone history (if true) eclipsing even iPhone 3GS to 4 transition at about 16% and boy that was an incredible battery life on the 4 compared to 3GS back then.... Ok so maybe I didn't chilled anyone with such post.

You shouldn't talk like this, it may be perceived as if you imply that Apple intentionally has sacrified a tiny weight decrease thereby maybe admitting that their previous trade off was less than perfect.

• Reply 42 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My proof is that every year Apple sells more and more iPhones.  If it was such a huge problem they would have improved it long ago.

Must be why they don’t make a phablet, then, huh. 

• Reply 43 of 103
    Quote:

I have the best documentation.

Money.  people vote with their wallet.  iPhone sales are exploding up every year.

Then please document that no other trade-off of the iPhone parameters could have resulted in a larger sale!

• Reply 44 of 103
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

No you are wrong.

you need to test these things in a controlled environment.  It blows my mind you don't understand this.   You do know that if you have a weak LTE or Wifi signal it will take a ton of battery life?  There are thousands of variables that will make your real world test flawed.

Oh. My. God.

I'm SAYING that the AVERAGE USER isn't going to run tests such as this.  They're simply going to compare with friends or with other phones they themselves have owned.  How are you not comprehending this?

Again - for ME, I'm happy but wouldn't mind a bit better battery life for the days I'm out and about all day.

• Reply 45 of 103
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I forgot about the iPad mini. Was it as noticeable as the 3rd gen iPad?

I guess that's subjective. For me it was the clear reason (together with the weight) not to upgrade from my old mini. As much as I love its from factor and the retina display of my bigger iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 103

Here's the thing- you are one of the lucky ones that don't have problem with it. I am not unfortunately. My battery is abysmal. Even with plugging in all the time, can't go a couple hours without it draining. Seems hit an miss- but there seem to be a LOT of people with battery issues.

• Reply 47 of 103
    Quote:

The professional reviewers do.

And that's why I added two links.  And in both instances the iPhone either out performed or was equal to the MotoX.

You don't get it.  Never mind.

• Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:

One of the main attractions of an iPhone is its appearance.

Stuffing a large azz battery in it will detract from it

Why fix it if it isn't broken?  Why risk BILLIONS by putting a large azz battery in teh phone a risk losing millions of users?

There appears to be two parameters in the iPhone design that when criticized here make a number of people go ballistic. One is the trade-offs related to thickness and battery, and the other one the size of the screen. Based on the article leading to this discussion, and the general belief that there will be at least one larger iPhone launched, it MAY look like Apple is rethinking these parameters. I don't think that will result in Apple loosing millions of users, but rather quite the opposite. 

• Reply 49 of 103

the tech wasn't ready.

No, it has always been ready. People aren’t ready. Because they don’t want to be.

The professional reviewers do.

And in what universe are those regular users, then?

• Reply 50 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Moll View Post

Here's the thing- you are one of the lucky ones that don't have problem with it. I am not unfortunately. My battery is abysmal. Even with plugging in all the time, can't go a couple hours without it draining. Seems hit an miss- but there seem to be a LOT of people with battery issues.

You sure you didn't misspell your name? Shouldn't it be Russell Troll?

• Reply 51 of 103
    Quote:

I do get it. 

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Numerous test PROVE that your opinion is wrong.  The MotoX battery life is not significantly better than the iPhone.   There's no other way to say it.  You are comparing using the Moto for 1 week compared to an iPhone for years.

3 weeks.  You fail at comprehension.

• Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And in what universe are those regular users, then?

• Reply 53 of 103
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure if a large population of people could only go through half a day of battery life there would be a ton of lost sales.

Maybe, but not necessarily. There are lots of reasons to buy an iPhone, so people MAY choose to buy them IN SPITE of knowing they have poor battery life. Buying it anyway doesn't mean they're happy, they're just less UNHAPPY than they would be with an Android device.

• Reply 54 of 103
    Quote:

One of the main attractions of an iPhone is its appearance.

Stuffing a large azz battery in it will detract from it

Why fix it if it isn't broken?  Why risk BILLIONS by putting a large azz battery in teh phone a risk losing millions of users?

And where does it end?  If you give 15 hour battery life why not 24 hours? or 48 hours? Just make it bigger, fatter, and heavier?

When does it end?

Do you SERIOUSLY think a $600,000,000,000 company does not do extensive research to see what their clients want?  Seriously!!!

Which is why they're going to release a phone with a bigger screen and battery.

Also, your ridiculous "where does it end" argument can work against you as well.  Why not make the next iPhone smaller, lighter, so it only lasts 4 hrs on a charge?   People care about the appearance.  Shouldn't they make a tiny phone that even Zoolander would like?  

Obviously there's a limit in either direction.  Just because someone is suggesting that a longer-lasting battery is better doesn't mean and he is arguing that a 48-hour heavy-use capability is a necessity.

Also, the point of fixing something BEFORE it is broken is because Apple is accountable to its shareholders and always fighting to keep its profits high.  Large screen phones are a growing trend and Apple is already 2 years behind the times in producing one.  Quite clearly, they've come to the conclusion that this is something their customers want.  

• Reply 55 of 103
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Never could get the hang of that place. It’s always Thursday.

Tim Cook said it himself.  He said the tech wasn't ready for a large screen iPhone.  So should i believe you or Mr Cook?

... You don’t have a clue why he said that, do you.

And one reason he gave was......battery life. LOL.

You’re trying to get me to believe that Apple is incapable of creating a larger phone with good battery life? Is that what you’re trying to say? They’ve probably been able to do it since the iPhone’s inception and absolutely since the iPhone 4. They don’t do it because you can’t use a larger phone and the majority doesn’t want a device YOU CANNOT USE.

Apple had no choice but to stick with the 4 inch screen last year.

Wrong.

Plus the large phone fad was a shock to everyone

You said it yourself. Fad.

Two years ago the iPhone5 and Galaxy S3 came out.  The big phone did not take off until 2013.  So Apple was 12 months late to the party.  

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.

• Reply 56 of 103

To anyone who thinks it's a bad idea (or a waste) to improve battery life, I think the less often you have to tether your mobile device to a wire the better.  Inductive charging could also help reduce the frequency.

• Reply 57 of 103
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The iPads were created with "a day of work" in mind, I'm sure. The iPhones seem to be created with "a day of phone" in mind. I think the iPhones should be designed with "a week of phone, a day of work." in mind. The iPhones are being used much more than most iPads, I'm sure. Bigger batteries and super smart CPU power saving ftw!
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Inductive charging could also help reduce the frequency.

40% more power wasted and twice the charging time. No, thank you.

THIS is the real future: ludicrously high capacities and ludicrously short charging times.

• Reply 59 of 103
    Quote:

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.

"The days of the 3.5-inch or 4.0-inch screen are gone. The entire smartphone market has been trending toward the phablet category over the past few quarters."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-phablet-phenomenon-trends-and-growth-forecast-for-the-device-that-is-taking-over-mobile-sai-2014-6#ixzz39e9kRWPJ

• Reply 60 of 103
    Quote:

Thanks for making my point for me.

You have no point to make, other than "the iPhone is perfect, anybody who criticizes anything about it is an idiot and should be shot".

You have been behaving like a clueless, petulant brat throughout this entire thread.

People like you were the same who screamed that the iPhone screen size was perfect and only idiots would buy smartphones with larger screens, and laughed at the Samsung Note phablets. You have to grow up and learn to deal with constructive criticism (of Apple -- this is no constructive criticism of you, we're past that point)