New report elaborates on 'iPhone 6' rumors of A8 SoC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, no sapphire display

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A report on Wednesday corroborates earlier rumors that Apple's next-gen iPhone lineup will feature a faster processor and advanced communications package, but will not include a much-hyped sapphire screen.

In what can be described as a "rumor roundup" sprinkled with bits of new information, VentureBeat reports a source familiar with the matter has confirmed much of the speculation surrounding Apple's next iPhone.

In the way of new information, the person claims Apple's iPhone 6 will include a multi-core A8 processor supposedly clocked at 2.0 GHz, a massive jump from the current 1.3GHz dual-core SoC found in the iPhone 5s.

Communications are to be handled by a communications suite that includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Qualcomm's latest MDM9x35 modem and an NXP near-field communications chip, the source says. While a purportedly leaked logic board pointed to NFC integration, the chip manufacturer has been heretofore unknown.

In a dubious assertion, the person also says Apple will use NFC for a mobile payments solution. An Apple entry in the digital wallet space has been rumored for years, but recent rumblings have suggested a build-out of iBeacon technology rather than NFC.

The final tidbit of new information concerns Apple's Beats acquisition. According to the person, the iPhone 6 could incorporate technology that would facilitate a special "handshake" between the device and Beats headphones, possibly through the Lightning port. Apple announced a similar solution -- the Lightning headphone module -- to developers and third-party hardware makers at this year's WWDC. The protocol allows compatible headphones to plug in to an iOS device's Lightning port for high-level device control, direct analog audio-out and power.

The remainder of VentureBeat's report reads like a compilation of existing rumors and parts "leaks" that have quickly made their way out of the Far East as Apple's anticipated iPhone 6 launch date nears.

As for for the oft-rumored sapphire display, the source says Apple is unlikely to launch an iPhone integrating the super hard glass, but will instead use a material "slightly harder than Gorilla Glass but not as hard as sapphire." A purportedly leaked iPhone 6 "sapphire" display made the rounds in July, but the rumor was ultimately debunked in a video showing the component was susceptible to scratches from sandpaper.

Source: Marques Brownlee via YouTube

A report last month said much the same in regard to the inclusion of sapphire as a major component, noting Apple would not employ major sapphire components in 2014 due to poor ingot yield rates compounded by processing problems. Further, Apple's partner sapphire manufacturer recently reported it has just now started mass production, suggesting raw materials may not be available in quantities sufficient for inclusion in tens of millions of new iPhones.

Finally, the iPhone 6 will come with enhanced Touch ID fingerprint recognition. A purported component leak last week highlighted differences in the design of what is supposedly Apple's next-generation home button, but did not specify any major hardware changes.

VentureBeat claims Apple plans to launch a 4.7-inch handset in mid-September, a date that corresponds with a report on Tuesday saying the company plans to unveil the new iPhone at a special media event on Sept. 9. If Apple applies its usual device launch pattern of starting sales on the second Friday after announcement, the iPhone 6 is looking at a Sept. 19 release.

The source also says a larger 5.5-inch model is coming this cycle, but notes the phablet could debut weeks or months after the 4.7-inch version hits store shelves. This is in line with multiple rumors saying the big-screen iPhone will be delayed, citing production issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Wow if the 6 looks like that gold phone in the mockup AI constantly uses then it will have the classiest hardware on the market. If it has those broad white lines as seen on other i6's, however, then for once a case will be doing an iPhone justice.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    An iPhone is never late. It arrives exactly when Apple intends it to.

Sapphire or not, iPhone 6 5.5" all the way for me. Wife is likely getting the 4.7" and I'm keeping an iPhone5 as a backup.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

It's not "late" if it's unannounced. Thanks, Internet noise machine.

• Reply 4 of 40
    There seems to be a dearth of rumours about the next iPhone. I'm glad to see that Apple Insider have managed to find one or two, at last.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Um, VentureBeat was the one who reported Apple was working with Swatch, which Swatch denied same day. And their report is full of 'subject to change' not final verbiage.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Can't wait to see the performance demos of the forthcoming A8. I hope the battery life gets a boost, as well as RAM.

I can't wait to hold this in my hands. I really like my iPhone 5S in the leather case. It adds enough heft and grip that makes me feel good holding it. There is such a thing as too thin for being able to hold onto something securely.

I have no idea what surprises Apple may have up their iSleeves but I think there might be one or two 'one more things.'

I hope the sapphire glass makes the cut.
    Time to go to 32, 64, 128 storage
    Sometime in the future, the whole glass front could be a fingerprint sensor, reducing the button to those times when you need a button.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It can definitely be late.

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

• Reply 8 of 40
    bugsnw wrote: »
    I hope the sapphire glass makes the cut.

*rimshot*
  • Reply 9 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Perfectly fine - I'd rather have the horsepower anyway.

• Reply 10 of 40
    I don't personally believe that the iPhone will have a "sapphire" display—not this year at least. However: that panel being scratched by sandpaper is by no means proof that it's not.

It's quite possible for sharp grains of material to scratch smooth surfaces of the same hardness. The Carborundum (silicon carbide) on the sandpaper could quite handily scratch the "sapphire" (aluminum oxide) of a flat panel like that. Carborundum is 9-9.5 on the Mohs scale, alumina is what...9?

Parenthetically, how is it legal to call pure alumina "sapphire"? I know there has to be a minimum amount of chromium in it before you can call it "ruby"—isn't there a minimum titanium content to be called "sapphire"?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    So excited for this. Wish we could get a 5.5", but clearly we have seen no 5.5" case leaks, so can we shelve that idea already? We saw the 4.7" leaks, what, 2-3 months ago?
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Dudes. Not so sure "hyped" is the right word for the sapphire screen, since Apple has never mentioned it, no not once. Of course, they did spend half a billion on a solar powered sapphire plant in the desert. But that could just as easily be for windows in the new spaceship office building, and the stores, and windscreens for scooters as the employees scoot about the spaceship corporate headquarters. Is what I am writing hype? It's drivel. Slap a headline on it and ship it!
  • Reply 13 of 40
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones...

...Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen...

...Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

You are arguing semantics about the use of the word 'late'.

The dictionary defines late (when used as an adverb) as:

after the expected, proper, or usual time: she arrived late.

SpamSandwich correctly points out that Apple has not even announced a product therefore there is no public deadline to hold them to. Is the iWatch late or the iTV because a number of analysts have said Apple would have them several quarters ago (even years)? Just because analysts and the media second guess by looking at supply chains and reading teas leaves or chicken entrails does not make a date they guess at the due date. On the other hand mpantone is correct in pointing out that Apple definitely has an internal timeline and reality is that the later they ship the shorter the holiday buying season and the less revenue over that period (although I believe it will be made up for after holidays since it is not an impulse buy for a bunch of consumers). IMHO Apple's announcement times have varied from at least early June to well into September with shipping times to follow within a day to weeks or more; this would not allow anyone to say that there is a proper or usual time for an update. However the expected time might be able to be argued because of all the rumors based on analysts, supply chains, Chinese newspapers and fake mockups or pictures of the new product in all its glory.

Bottom line is in a bit over a month we will know for sure -- unless the rumored media event is for something else in which case the announcement will be late¡

• Reply 14 of 40
    Iphone 6s (S is for Sapphire). Let's get 2015 rumors going already. Lol
  • Reply 15 of 40
    sog35 wrote: »
    another bolder to add to the mountain of evidence that the 5.5 is coming

Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in. As you say, the evidence is overwhelming.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in. As you say, the evidence is overwhelming.

Yes- he's easy to make fun of, but in his defense- the stuff he says at least makes him sound smarter than a bolder boulder.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You are arguing semantics about the use of the word 'late'.

The dictionary defines late (when used as an adverb) as:

after the expected, proper, or usual time: she arrived late.

Even if Apple doesn't announce its internal deadlines and milestones to the general public, it doesn't mean that there is a timeline.

Note that my comments about shareholder expectations are VERY relevant. Apple provides guidance based on what they expect will happen. Major misses like a delayed iPhone release have a MATERIAL impact on revenue. Apple doesn't have to specify dates, they already set expectations by giving revenue guidance. It's not like a late iPhone release can be made up by selling more AppleTVs or iPods.

Apple rarely gives more than vague predictions about when something is coming (e.g., "this fall"). However, they do give financial guidance which in a way often reveals what the expectations are.

• Reply 18 of 40
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

A product is only late when a manufacturer or retailer has announced a specific availability date for a given product and doesn't make the product available by that date. An unannounced product can't be late.

A product may be late according to Apple's own internal projections, which I doubt Apple would ever admit to publicly until well after the fact if ever, but it is not late to the world in general if was never publicly announced to start with.

How can YOU have timetable for a product that was never announced to start with? Sounds like you are always going to be disappointed waiting for the next great thing that was never announced. Almost sounds like the people that say I won't buy this generation of the iPhone or product X because the next one will be better and never end up buying period.

• Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

A product is only late when a manufacturer or retailer has announced a specific availability date for a given product and doesn't make the product available by that date. An unannounced product can't be late.

A product may be late according to Apple's own internal projections, which I doubt Apple would ever admit to publicly until well after the fact if ever, but it is not late to the world in general if was never publicly announced to start with.

How can YOU have timetable for a product that was never announced to start with? Sounds like you are always going to be disappointed waiting for the next great thing that was never announced. Almost sounds like the people that say I won't buy this generation of the iPhone or product X because the next one will be better and never end up buying period.

Like other consumer electronics companies, Apple sets up expectations for their customers AND shareholders from their previous history.

As a customer I couldn't care less if the next-gen iPhone ships on September 19th or October 3rd. I'm not going to buy it anyhow, I have a 5s.

However, I DO care as an AAPL shareholder. Apple has given guidance of $34-37 billion and I want them to hit the latter number since it likely reflects a timely release of the next-gen handset THIS quarter.

Again, Apple has their own internal deadlines, but they clearly set up expectations for SHAREHOLDERS by giving financial guidance for each quarter.

Remember, amongst the most important responsibilities for a publicly-traded corporation is to increase shareholder value. You think Apple's stock buyback is for fun and giggles?

Apple has to please more people than just customers.

• Reply 20 of 40
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    *rimshot*