New report elaborates on 'iPhone 6' rumors of A8 SoC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, no sapphire display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Like other consumer electronics companies, Apple sets up expectations for their customers AND shareholders from their previous history.

As a customer I couldn't care less if the next-gen iPhone ships on September 19th or October 3rd. I'm not going to buy it anyhow, I have a 5s.

However, I DO care as an AAPL shareholder. Apple has given guidance of $34-37 billion and I want them to hit the latter number since it likely reflects a timely release of the next-gen handset THIS quarter.

Again, Apple has their own internal deadlines, but they clearly set up expectations for SHAREHOLDERS by giving financial guidance for each quarter.

Remember, amongst the most important responsibilities for a publicly-traded corporation is to increase shareholder value. You think Apple's stock buyback is for fun and giggles?

Apple has to please more people than just customers.

WTF are you talking about? They didn't offered any guidance that requires a 5.5in phone to be released... It's all in your head dude.

• Reply 22 of 40
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Like other consumer electronics companies, Apple sets up expectations for their customers AND shareholders from their previous history.

As a customer I couldn't care less if the next-gen iPhone ships on September 19th or October 3rd. I'm not going to buy it anyhow, I have a 5s.

However, I DO care as an AAPL shareholder. Apple has given guidance of $34-37 billion and I want them to hit the latter number since it likely reflects a timely release of the next-gen handset THIS quarter.

Again, Apple has their own internal deadlines, but they clearly set up expectations for SHAREHOLDERS by giving financial guidance for each quarter.

Remember, amongst the most important responsibilities for a publicly-traded corporation is to increase shareholder value. You think Apple's stock buyback is for fun and giggles?

Apple has to please more people than just customers.

I too am a customer and a shareholder as well. I don't hold Apple accountable to published rumors or rampant customer expectations but I do hold them accountable to the financial guidance they provide and expect them hit their projections, not the projections that the so called professional ANALyst provide which seem to be mostly SWAG Scientific Wild As* Guessing. Unfortunately Wall Street seems to be mostly about SWAG.

I still don't consider an Apple product late until Apple misses the shipping date for a product that they publicly announced. Apple has done fairly well handling their business as they see fit to and I'll go with Apple's own internal timetable over Wall Street's, rampant customer expectations or rumors at this point in time.

• Reply 23 of 40
    bugsnw wrote: »
    Can't wait to see the performance demos of the forthcoming A8. I hope the battery life gets a boost, as well as RAM.

I can't wait to hold this in my hands. I really like my iPhone 5S in the leather case. It adds enough heft and grip that makes me feel good holding it. There is such a thing as too thin for being able to hold onto something securely.

I have no idea what surprises Apple may have up their iSleeves but I think there might be one or two 'one more things.'

I hope the sapphire glass makes the cut.
    Time to go to 32, 64, 128 storage
    Sometime in the future, the whole glass front could be a fingerprint sensor, reducing the button to those times when you need a button.
    Battery seems confirmed boost, while Ram of 2gb is almost confirmed, pretty hopeful that they replace 16 gb with 128 gb, or at least make it $50 upgrades for double the storage, as iPod is now(doubt it)

mpantone wrote: »
    It can definitely be late.

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.
    Device is un announced publicly then public could see device as late as October, November but it would still not be "late". And they likely don't haft to tell manufactures a exact date, just a estimate.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the source says Apple is unlikely to launch an iPhone integrating the super hard glass.

But what does "the source" say about a circular Mac mini with solid sapphire enclosure?

It would add stratospheric cachet to the currently glamour-challenged Mac mini.

And it would reflect the brand new Apple headquarters building's avant-garde circular style.

You heard it here first.

/s (???)

• Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

It can definitely be late.

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

Well, that was unnecessarily harsh.

• Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

another bolder to add to the mountain of evidence that the 5.5 is coming

This is something I just can't figure out @sog35. Almost every rumour posting has you commenting that it is evidence that the 5.5" is coming.

I have seen you make some very sensible posts dealing with Apple shares and stuff, but I just can't understand your obsession with this.

You even make some  protracted claims of proof like 50MM Notes selling meaning that the 5.5" is coming.

If a 5.5" does come, well that's fine. If it doesn't, that is also fine. I don't know what I want until Apple tells me what I want. But I get the impression that you are just trying to convince yourself that it is coming, rather than convince other readers.

I wouldn't bother to post if I considered you a troll. It's just surprising to see such posts in some cases when you make a lot of sense in others.

• Reply 27 of 40
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    If not iPhone 6, then what product is sapphire soon to be mass produced for?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

I expect Apple's big problem at this time, is obtaining the huge volumes of iPhones in the many locations receiving it first.

They've been manufacturing whatever for months.

It's very likely the 5.5" will arrive later, or there will be very limited volumes initially.  :smokey:

• Reply 29 of 40
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I expect Apple's big problem at this time, is obtaining the huge volumes of iPhones in the many locations receiving it first.

They've been manufacturing whatever for months.

It's very likely the 5.5" will arrive later, or there will be very limited volumes initially.  :smokey:

You may expect that your comments are acccurate but you nothing but unsubstantiated rumors to back up what you 'expect' to happen.

• Reply 30 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in.

Breaking: Apple to create shoe phone!

Originally Posted by dapple View Post

Women.

Oh, product

• Reply 31 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I would argue with the term 'hyped' in regard to sapphire screens. There is no hype per se just anticipation. It's not 'if' just 'when' IMHO. Also what product gets it first.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You are arguing semantics about the use of the word 'late'.

The dictionary defines late (when used as an adverb) as:

after the expected, proper, or usual time: she arrived late.

Even if Apple doesn't announce its internal deadlines and milestones to the general public, it doesn't mean that there is a timeline.

Note that my comments about shareholder expectations are VERY relevant. Apple provides guidance based on what they expect will happen. Major misses like a delayed iPhone release have a MATERIAL impact on revenue. Apple doesn't have to specify dates, they already set expectations by giving revenue guidance. It's not like a late iPhone release can be made up by selling more AppleTVs or iPods.

Apple rarely gives more than vague predictions about when something is coming (e.g., "this fall"). However, they do give financial guidance which in a way often reveals what the expectations are.

I assume you mean't "...it doesn't mean that there is [not] a timeline."

The financial guidance they give does in some ways does tip their hands. By itself it means nothing, historically since the iPhone has been the cash cow of late most would expect the difference (negative of guidance) to be in the number of units sold of the iPhone. I posit that the introduction of an iWatch, a larger iPad or a couple other "new products" could actually cause the bottom-line to go up even if there were a delay in the iPhone 6 model(s) of a few weeks of what has been guessed. Remember along with the guidance came the Q&A call where they reiterated that Apple was going to have new products in the pipeline -- I don't think they would have made such a big deal if they were only hobby products like the AppleTV.

You are free to guess and gamble they way the rest of us do that own AAPL, but I hope it is based on more than simple quips that one day say sapphire and the next day gorilla-type glass, or talk about major features being dropped from this release but fail to mention that there are numerous other features that were only scanned over during the WWDC keynote. They can't give out all the details as those in K-land have there copiers running full speed to try to beat Apple out the door by less than a week with their new SuperScam Note 4 (with built-in ear cleaner/nose picker).

Think what you like mpantone since its all hypothetical to it happens. Maybe this will all be cleared up by the 10th of September¡

• Reply 33 of 40
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would argue with the term 'hyped' in regard to sapphire screens. There is no hype per se just anticipation. It's not 'if' just 'when' IMHO. Also what product gets it first.

Couldn't agree more. I would add that there is no real giant hurry to get these out until they have some time to really break in the new plant and train folks with installation, etc.... Heaven knows we don't want a 'SapphireGate' on our hands, but it will be worth the premium when it is ready for prime time. Good Sapphire is much nicer than Gorillas IMHO.

I would kind of guess that maybe a watch would be a better platform to introduce sapphire on since there have actually been numerous of those products in the past (by many others) and thus some real world experience to know how you are doing. it is a long way from a 1.6 sq in watch face to a phone that is greeter than 13 sq in.

• Reply 34 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in.

Breaking: Apple to create shoe phone!

Originally Posted by dapple View Post

Women.

Oh, product

Apparently the Apple Cone of Silence has failed again...

• Reply 35 of 40
    Will there still be a 4" iPhone? I am perfectly happy with the size of my 5s and I am not looking for something larger.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I don't personally believe that the iPhone will have a "sapphire" display—not this year at least. However: that panel being scratched by sandpaper is by no means proof that it's not.

It's quite possible for sharp grains of material to scratch smooth surfaces of the same hardness. The Carborundum (silicon carbide) on the sandpaper could quite handily scratch the "sapphire" (aluminum oxide) of a flat panel like that. Carborundum is 9-9.5 on the Mohs scale, alumina is what...9?

Parenthetically, how is it legal to call pure alumina "sapphire"? I know there has to be a minimum amount of chromium in it before you can call it "ruby"—isn't there a minimum titanium content to be called "sapphire"?

Well, you know of at least two pieces on there that will be made of sapphire.  As for the cover glass, I'm hoping (because I've invested in GTAT) that it does.  Wouldn't make sense to me for Apple to be churning out all that sapphire in Mesa for nothing.

As for what it's called, I'm sure they'll come up with a name like "Retina Display."  Maybe "Sapphire Glass".

• Reply 37 of 40
    truffoltruffol Posts: 50member
    The blue mockup... is that supposed to be the 6c?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

Implying that the ‘C’ concept continues for two more years, yes.

• Reply 39 of 40
    truffol wrote: »

No; it's the 6sc.