NFL Now goes live on iPhone and iPad, Apple TV to follow

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
The National Football League on Thursday officially unleashed NFL Now, its new digital content network, bringing football fans personalized video updates from around the league as well as highlights and select live broadcasts -- though games will remain television-only affairs.

The league will stock NFL Now with some 105 hours of original content each week, and viewers will have access to nearly 400 hours of archival footage. That includes historical highlights from individual teams as well as every Super Bowl between 1967 and 2009.

Also included is access to the well-regarded NFL Films archive, segments from the NFL Network, and live coverage of press conferences and shows.

The NFL appears to be especially proud of NFL Now's personalization options, which allow viewers to select their favorite teams and players, as well as link their fantasy football roster. This creates a customized video stream that the league says will change over time, "to the point where no two registered fans will have the same experience on NFL Now."

Fans looking for even more content can subscribe to NFL Now Plus, a $1.99-per-month subscription for viewers in the U.S. that will bring instant in-game highlights. NFL Now Plus will cost $4.99 per month for international viewers, but will grant those living outside the U.S., Mexico, and the U.K. access to a live stream of NFL Network as well as Sunday access to NFL Red Zone.

The NFL Now app is available now for iPhone and iPad as a free, 27.9-megabyte download from the App Store. A companion channel on the Apple TV is expected to launch later Thursday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Now if it just would let you access the nfl rewind and preseason subscriptions
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Does this require an existing cable provider subscription?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Nope.

• Reply 4 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Just give us NFL ticket already.

YES.

I have a good feeling about Apple TV. if only Apple gets their butt in gear.

yes we all know Apple doesn't have the freedom they need, but the tides are
    slowly turning and Apple is in a
    far better place now than in 2007.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    go4d1go4d1 Posts: 34member

The Motley Fool  predicted that Cablevision will be undermined by producers selling directly over the internet.  I wonder whether Ballmer bought the Clippers to start something along those lines - Setup a sports and entertainment distribution service with the Clippers as the model - He doesn't strike me as a sports junkie. 

http://flyoutmenu.com

• Reply 6 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I'm not really into sports except maybe for hockey, but I really enjoyed the World Cups iPad app. This looks very similar, very cool.

• Reply 7 of 16

This NFL Now app is nothing like the FIFA World Cup app.

It's essentially a bunch of video reels, highlight clips, interviews, behind the scenes, etc. It doesn't even provide scores (the NFL Mobile app does that). It's basically a video advertisement for the NFL disguised as an app.

• Reply 8 of 16
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Apple TV is beginning to remind me of Power Menu, a DOS based app launcher, circa 1987. It segregated apps into neat little colored text boxes. IMO the whole IOS paradigm is a graphical representation of Power Menu, not a big advancement in 25 years of computing. Lining up icons next to similar looking icons that you navigate by endlessly paging down is extremely outdated. I rarely page down through the first few lines on Apple TV. Just saying, it's time for IOS v2!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I guess I don't get:  "though games will remain television-only affairs." My Apple TV is a television-only affair - it only displays on my TV. Does this mean I can buy an NFL subscription to watch live games through my Apple TV onto my television as a "television only affair?" Guess I really don't care about mobile apps for iPhone and iPad, but YMMV.

• Reply 10 of 16

Sometimes different words or phrases mean different things to different people. They are apparently using a different, more common definition of "television-only affair" than what you are thinking.

They are using "television" to describe the traditional broadcast methods of over-the-air terrestrial broadcasting, cable television, satellite television and other transmission methods (like AT&T Uverse DSL and FiOS) that require a separate subscription for television service.

In this case, it should have been pretty easy to figure out the definition based on the status quo of NFL game broadcast rights.

• Reply 11 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Sometimes different words or phrases mean different things to different people. They are apparently using a different, more common definition of "television-only affair" than what you are thinking.

They are using "television" to describe the traditional broadcast methods of over-the-air terrestrial broadcasting, cable television, satellite television and other transmission methods (like AT&T Uverse DSL and FiOS) that require a separate subscription for television service.

In this case, it should have been pretty easy to figure out the definition based on the status quo of NFL game broadcast rights.

Cool thanks. You saw that explained somewhere on the NFL site, Dish, Apple or similar? Or that's your opinion based on the AI article?

• Reply 12 of 16

I would say it is from common sense.

You're welcome.

:)

• Reply 13 of 16
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

I would say it is from common sense.

You're welcome.

:)

Not really but thanks for being the smart kid in class. 

• Reply 14 of 16
    Lame. This app needs full access to all live games in the local market, ala OTA TV!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    As of 8 pm on August 8th, NFL Now has not been added to Apple TV.