Report debunks claims of Chinese ban on Apple product purchases for government agencies [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Countering a rumor that claimed China recently banned state agencies from purchasing Apple products, a report on Thursday says the company was simply not included on a list of energy-efficient devices that some government bodies look to for appropriating new equipment.

Xidan Joy City Apple Store in Beijing, China. | Source: Apple

Update: Separate statements from the Chinese Central Government Procurement Centre and the company's finance ministry, released Friday, state that Apple's exclusion from the list of energy-saving products was not due to national security concerns. Apple has never been on that particular procurement list.

According to Chinese language publication Caixin, Apple was not included in a semi-annual "shopping list" of energy-saving products approved for purchase with public money. The last version of the list was published in March as a joint effort from China's Ministry of Finance and National Development and Reform Commission.

A person familiar with the government's appropriations system said Apple's exclusion is far from a formal ban, as was widely reported yesterday, and may instead be the result of a simple filing error.

At this point, it is unknown why Apple failed to make the cut, but authorities are reportedly investigating the matter. The publication guesses that appropriate documents proving iPhones, iPads and MacBooks meet governmental energy-saving standards were not filed, meaning they were not included for consideration.

Although Apple's devices are not part of the directory, Chinese agencies that do not currently abide by special energy-saving requirements can purchase the company's wares as long as fair bidding practices are followed.

On Wednesday, Bloomberg cited anonymous Chinese officials as saying security concerns kept Apple's iPad and MacBook lines off a procurement list. With China's huge consumer market, the claims of government mistrust were widely reported as being a potential drag on Apple's growth in the region.

Yesterday's report noted Apple was on a supposed procurement list in June before being removed when the final version was distributed in July. Whether the procurement list is a separate document from the energy-savings list is unclear. While mere speculation, it is possible that the unnamed officials are part of an agency that subscribes to the aforementioned special energy-savings standards and would therefore not see Apple products as a purchase option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I still say Russia.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    So are they or aren't they banned, I'm confused, the story had more double talk then a sociopaths alibi.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I think they are not on the green energy list because of some technicality.

But government can still buy them using other means.  I think its just faster to buy stuff if you are on the green list.

Probably all Apple needs is to file paper work (or probably already did and just waiting for it to be processed) to get back on the list.

Wall STreet manipulation at its best.

It is surely an error as what company and its products is greener and more energy efficient than Apple? Especially if you stop Flash running on the Macs!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

The google translation was a little rough but it sounds like Apple just didn't fill out all the paperwork required to make the list. This doesn't surprise me because they weren't the best at submitting to our own ridiculous amount of government paperwork to get Apple equipment on the US government purchasing programs. Anyone who has worked for the US government knows about all the problems getting Apple products through the many certifications, especially FIPS 140-2. Some of these certifications have to be done with every hardware and software upgrade and the testing departments, like NIST, take too much time. When Apple finally gets certification, they've already released the next OS version. Our government also seems to fast track Windows updates, which could be the other reason all the Chinese mobile vendors made the list and Apple didn't. Either way, government lists usually are temporary and in many cases don't mean much in the end. If a Chinese government official wants to buy a Mac or iPhone, there are ways to do it. If they are important, the products will be purchased no matter what list is in place.

• Reply 5 of 23
    relic wrote: »
    So are they or aren't they banned, I'm confused, the story had more double talk then a sociopaths alibi.

It's going to happen when AppleInsider is your "news" source. Nothing is checked, nothing is verified. Just hand-picked clickbait for the win.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You're confused because you think that tech rumor blogs are the same as old-school media sources like the NY Times or Wall Street Journal.

They're not.

Stop thinking of sites like MacRumors, AppleInsider, BGR as credible media sources, then your confusion should lessen.

Best of luck.

• Reply 7 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

I don't believe this article.

I'm still awaiting the official rumor.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    wmsfowmsfo Posts: 28member

@rob53 

Perhaps this is why Apple has teamed up with IBM for SMB and Enterprise ...

Let a company focus on their core strength ... IBM's core strength is SMB and Enterprise - Apple's core strength is making consumer products

If IBM wants the services account for the iOS devices at a particular foreign/domestic business (remember IBM is primarily a Services company) then IBM would take into account all regulatory/government filings/certifications.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

You're confused because you think that tech rumor blogs are the same as old-school media sources like the NY Times or Wall Street Journal.

They're not.

Stop thinking of sites like MacRumors, AppleInsider, BGR as credible media sources, then your confusion should lessen.

Best of luck.

Oh no, please believe me when I say, I take most of the rumors I read here with a grain of salt. I'm confused to the actual resolution of the story, you know so I can weigh in with my 3/4 of a penny opinion. As of right now though I'm kind of glazed over in a stuper but that also could be the morphine. Let me push this button to see ............... yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeepppppppppp, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ttttttthhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnkkkkkk iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttsssssssssssssssss tttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeee mmmmmmmmmmooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.:err: 

• Reply 10 of 23
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I sense Scamsung's footprints leading away from the crime scene
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I sense Scamsung's footprints leading away from the crime scene

Well look at you with your plastic Junior detectives badge found in the bottom of a box of Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch's, go get'em Sparky.

• Reply 12 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's going to happen when AppleInsider is your "news" source. Nothing is checked, nothing is verified. Just hand-picked clickbait for the win.

Plus...Bloomberg.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Plus...Bloomberg.

I like Bloomberg.

• Reply 14 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I like Bloomberg.

I used to.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I used to.

Reporting just not accurate enough anymore?

• Reply 16 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Every little penny slashed here or inflated there adds to the bottom line of short sellers and hedgers.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I still say Russia.

Oh no!

Russia threatens to go beyond food blacklist

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7d63dcb2-1e18-11e4-ab52-00144feabdc0.html

Threat includes Aerospace and more!!! Oh my!

I guess Boeing and Airbus will have to redistribute those outsourced contracts back to in-sourced contracts and create more jobs in Europe and the USA.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It’s like something out of a parody... When you think that THIS is a point of advertisement, what does that say about your product?

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I guess Boeing and Airbus will have to redistribute those outsourced contracts back to in-sourced contracts and create more jobs in Europe and the USA.

[monotone] Oh no what a shame how will we ever survive by increasing the solidarity of our own economies ahhhhhhhhhhhh [/monotone]

Silly Russkies.

• Reply 19 of 23
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

to be fair Bloomburg, CNBC, CNN, NYT, ect all reported this also.

If you call picking up a blog off a newswire or another news site, then posting it under your mast head and call it, "reporting," you are right, in your own eyes only.

• Reply 20 of 23
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I posted this link yesterday on the China ban thread.

Thanks Apple Insider for being so quick.

It was reported as fact by the clown at AI who never check if it is fact or make believe.