Federal Judge To Microsoft: NO WAY!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
January 11, 2002

Judge Rules Against Settlement Plan in Microsoft Class-Action Suit

By REUTERS

Filed at 2:45 p.m. ET

BALTIMORE (Reuters) - A federal judge on Friday scuttled Microsoft Corp. (news/quote)'s (MSFT.O) proposed multimillion-dollar settlement of the class-action antitrust suits filed against the software company.

U.S. District Court Judge J. Frederick Motz said he could not endorse the settlement even though it would have committed Microsoft to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on software and computers for poor schools.

The ruling means Microsoft will have to start from scratch in negotiating a new settlement or fight the scores of suits in court.

The settlement would have resolved more than 100 class-

action antitrust cases pending against Microsoft. Class-action attorneys from California have argued the money should be reimbursed directly to customers who were overcharged for Microsoft software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    yea!!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Ouch...this'll cost MSOFT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$444
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Remember this is the civil suits brought by various states, not the Federal suit brought my the government. M$ is in deep doody. But they'll keep on delaying and dodging for many months and possibly years ahead. Apple has to be pleased, however.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    I knew that retarded settlement would get overturned. I am sure groverat is biting nails

Damn you Steve! Mind your own!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Remember this is the civil suits brought by various states, not the Federal suit brought my the government.</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, I believe this is the class-action suit filed by individuals, rather than the feds OR the states.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]I am sure groverat is biting nails<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 7 of 8
    it's a bit confusing but this was indeed the class action suit that some 8 or 9 states agreed to settle. The other states involved (don't remember how many) did not. So it's back to the drawing boards for M$. The other suit, from the Federal Government, is still awaiting a decision by another Judge. And the beat goes on!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    No, BRussell is right. This Baltimore case involves more than 100 class-action suits brought by private citizens.

The state/federal lawsuit -- the nine states that agreed to settle as well as the nine that didn't -- is being heard in Washington. The judge in that case is Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, not Motz.