Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple on Thursday updated its online storefront to give newly-official subsidiary Beats by Dr. Dre its own section under the store's "Accessories" category, days after shuttering Beats's own internet shop.

The new section offers Beats's entire hardware product line, including headphones and portable speakers. Also up for grabs are accessories like protective sleeves and the "Pill Dude" personified speaker stands for the Beats Pill.

While Apple already sold most Beats product even before acquiring the company, they were previously lumped into the generic "Headphones" and "Speakers" sections.

Apple rarely re-arranges its online store, though more shakeups are expected under new retail chief Angela Ahrendts. The last major alteration came in January, when the Apple TV gained its own shopping category alongside the Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod.

Thursday's change comes some six days after Apple officially closed the $3 billion acquisition. At that time, Beats closed its online store and began referring potential customers to Apple's outlet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99

You could say that they have their own Beat on Apple's Store.

• Reply 2 of 99
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Sweet!
    loving it
    Steve is turning over in his grave seeing those pills accessories. :embarrass
  • Reply 3 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »

They're at least pretty amusing to look at. ;)
  • Reply 4 of 99
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sweet!

loving it

Steve is turning over in his grave seeing those pills accessories. image

He should be turning over in his grave seeing entire sections of Apple accessories rated at 1.5 out of 5 stars on their own website due to terrible build quality with mostly lightening cables and laptop power supplies.

• Reply 5 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves. Call them Beats. Simple.

• Reply 6 of 99
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves.

That makes no sense. People buy Beats because of Dr. Dre, not because it's called Beats nor the audio quality either.

If Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine weren't important, Apple would have shown them the door. The fact that Dr. Dre is involved with and promotes the Beats brand has been a crucial part of the brand's success.

• Reply 7 of 99
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »

Steve did release the iPod HiFi.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

...due to terrible build quality...

So morons who don’t know how to take care of things is Apple’s fault?

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Steve did release the iPod HiFi.

Which was gorgeous and with utility. Unlike...

• Reply 9 of 99
    Apple doesn't want to put its name on those products for at least one reason and keeping Dre's name on it for good measure.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    LOL

you are in denial

you don't spend $3B to hide something.
    Can anyone say "payola".
  • Reply 11 of 99
    so Apple buys beats so it can hide it?
    Fiction.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Gross.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve is turning over in his grave seeing those pills accessories. image

Massively overpriced, pathetically overhyped - in summary, just crap; with a different owner now.

And that's Tim Cook for you, Ladies and Gentlemen! Clap clap clap!

• Reply 14 of 99
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LOL

you are in denial

you don't spend $3B to hide something.

Point is: they shouldn't have spent those USD 3 billion in the first place.

• Reply 15 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    All this music talk made me remember I had a box of old Apple stuff in the attic. I went up (it was only 200°F up there) and found a box in which were old iPods and even one of those boom boxes that charged and played the iPod. I brought it down, waited for it to be cool enough to touch and plugged it in and popped a 60 GIG iPod in. It worked first time and plays as good as new. Now that is quality manufacturing. It's been up there for years.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Point is: they shouldn't have spent those USD 3 billion in the first place.

I've talked to some of friends who still are in the recording industry and they are actually stoked about the deal. Regardless of what a lot of folks think about the quality of Beats, they are very profitable company and I think with the right resources in production, they can even do better. Plus they have a music service that I personally like. It's library isn't as big as Spotify's, but its curation is great.

Plus, focusing just on the now instead of the long game is a bit short sighted IMHO. There is a lot that Iovine and Dre bring on top of their already profitable business.

• Reply 17 of 99
    I want a pill dude
  • Reply 18 of 99
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    So morons who don’t know how to take care of things is Apple’s fault?

Apple isn't perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality.

The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief, and due to Greenpeace's constant attemps to make Apple "greener": non-PVC cables are crap.

Non-PVC plastic just doesn't have the flexibility, and so Apple makes their cables out of foamed plastic. Eventually the non-flexible plastic weakens and cracks. That just doesn't happen with PVC. So instead of keeping one cable for years, I get them replaced bi-monthly by driving to the Apple store. That's so much more "green" than using PVC, eh Greenpeace? Why anyone pays any attention to those hippies is beyond me.

I had £65 Apple headphones do the same, Beats headphones probably use PVC and so are most likely better build quality than Apple's.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Next up for Apple: Heartbeats by Dr. Oz
  • Reply 20 of 99
    ireland wrote: »
    I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves. Call them Beats. Simple.

Agreed, and it will probably happen. Apple doesn't say 'MacBook Air by Sir Jony', for instance.

I think that the acquisition may not be formally (legally) completed yet, and that's the reason.