Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Acquiring www.Beats.com would be worthwhile.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">...due to terrible build quality...</span>

So morons who don’t know how to take care of things is Apple’s fault?

I bought a pair of Beats a couple of years ago. Don't use it all that much, yet, the cord is totally frayed, with copper exposed. And that's the one with the volume etc. controls. Annoying.

I take very good care of my electronics.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Agreed, and it will probably happen. Apple doesn't say 'MacBook Air by Sir Jony', for instance.

I think that the acquisition may not be formally (legally) completed yet, and that's the reason.

I thought the same thing, but this Dr. crap seems to be staying around. He's a good producer I'm sure, but it's time this Beats equipment looked and felt like an Apple product and not a Dr. Dre product.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    trumptman wrote: »
    He should be turning over in his grave seeing entire sections of Apple accessories rated at 1.5 out of 5 stars on their own website due to terrible build quality with mostly lightening cables and laptop power supplies.
    I'm sorry, but what do you expect when stupid people buy these accessories and abuse the crap out of them? Do you know how many people come to my desk and complain of the cable not working, and when I look at it, it looks like it's been chewed by a cat (and sometimes it has), and I point that out and they say, "well it should handle that kind of abuse", and I just tell them to go buy a new one and GET OUT.

People tend to not take care of their possessions, and then get all whiny and pissy when it brakes on them, and blame everyone but themselves, and this is usually reflected in the feedback ratings on the stores' sites.

In 10 years of owning iPod's, and now iPhone's and iPad's, not ONCE has a cable or headphone ever failed on me. In 3.5 years of owning my MBP, I've NEVER had the cable on the power brick fray, or even fail. Why? Because I don't twist, pull, kink, yank, or chew on the damn things!
  • Reply 25 of 99
    ireland wrote: »
    I thought the same thing, but this Dr. crap seems to be staying around. He's a good producer I'm sure, but it's time this Beats equipment looked and felt like an Apple product and not a Dr. Dre product.
    Give it some time, I'm sure Jony will get around to sprucing them up soon enough :smokey:
  • Reply 26 of 99
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what do you expect when stupid people buy these accessories and abuse the crap out of them? Do you know how many people come to my desk and complain of the cable not working, and when I look at it, it looks like it's been chewed by a cat (and sometimes it has), and I point that out and they say, "well it should handle that kind of abuse", and I just tell them to go buy a new one and GET OUT.

What a nice customer assistant you must be, I bet everyone's so happy to come to your store.

My lightning cable broke after two months, and it was fixed in position in my car. Frayed at the strain relief as usual with Apple cables. It would be impossible to mistreat it in its fixed location, the only movement it gets is plugging in and unplugging from the phone, certainly no teeth come near it..! Apple doesn't seem to understand what "strain relief" means, since their strain reliefs don't even bend...
  • Reply 27 of 99
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Next up for Apple: Heartbeats by Dr. Oz

sorry:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002P8OYEI?pc_redir=1407352139&robot_redir=1
    Agreed, and it will probably happen. Apple doesn't say 'MacBook Air by Sir Jony', for instance.

I think that the acquisition may not be formally (legally) completed yet, and that's the reason.

1. it's not a bad idea to drop Dre's name.

2. It's a bad idea to drop Dre's name from ALL Beats products. Really it's a dumb idea. Most headphones are sold because his name is on them.

3. I could have sworn Dre's Beats line is separated from the others. I don't remember his name on all products. Which is smart.

4. Ive is not a famous music producer. He likes staying behind the scenes. Dre's name fits well behind stuff like headphones.

I honestly like the pill dude!!!
    I wish Beats quality was good I'd definitely buy one of those little guys!!

now that Apple owns the brand they really need to look beyond profit and make higher quality Beats accessories. They got the cool and want factor down but the quality is keeping millions more from purchasing. (sorry pill dude!)

oh and:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36YhS9pzkM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Reply 28 of 99
    elijahg wrote: »
    What a nice customer assistant you must be, I bet everyone's so happy to come to your store.

Who said anything about me being in a store?
    My lightning cable broke after two months, and it was fixed in position in my car. Frayed at the strain relief as usual with Apple cables. It would be impossible to mistreat it in its fixed location, the only movement it gets is plugging in and unplugging from the phone, certainly no teeth come near it..! Apple doesn't seem to understand what "strain relief" means, since their strain reliefs don't even bend...

*starts pulling on strain relief point of his Lightning cable*

Weird, seems to be just fine to me, a hell of a lot better and more robust than the ones used on Monster and Beats gear...
  • Reply 29 of 99
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

...due to terrible build quality...

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Steve did release the iPod HiFi.

Which was gorgeous and with utility. Unlike...

Well the morons in this case happen to be Apple customers commenting on Apple products. Apple cables have been pure crap for a long time. As others have noted they constantly fray in the same way at the same points. That isn't operator error. That's a design problem.

Also you sound sort of pissed about the whole proof that Apple isn't killing the Beats brand claim you made. Clearly Apple wouldn't be doing this if they planned on keeping the products and people, but flushing the brand. You were dead wrong on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Quote:

Apple isn't perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality.

The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief, and due to Greenpeace's constant attemps to make Apple "greener": non-PVC cables are crap.

Non-PVC plastic just doesn't have the flexibility, and so Apple makes their cables out of foamed plastic. Eventually the non-flexible plastic weakens and cracks. That just doesn't happen with PVC. So instead of keeping one cable for years, I get them replaced bi-monthly by driving to the Apple store. That's so much more "green" than using PVC, eh Greenpeace? Why anyone pays any attention to those hippies is beyond me.

I had £65 Apple headphones do the same, Beats headphones probably use PVC and so are most likely better build quality than Apple's.

Perfect explanation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:

He should be turning over in his grave seeing entire sections of Apple accessories rated at 1.5 out of 5 stars on their own website due to terrible build quality with mostly lightening cables and laptop power supplies.

People tend to not take care of their possessions, and then get all whiny and pissy when it brakes on them, and blame everyone but themselves, and this is usually reflected in the feedback ratings on the stores' sites.

In 10 years of owning iPod's, and now iPhone's and iPad's, not ONCE has a cable or headphone ever failed on me. In 3.5 years of owning my MBP, I've NEVER had the cable on the power brick fray, or even fail. Why? Because I don't twist, pull, kink, yank, or chew on the damn things!

Apple didn't do this because of operator error. It's bad design and continues to be bad design.

I take care of all my possessions. I've never had water damage nor cracked a button, port, screen, anything on my Mac, iPhones, iPad, etc. In this case the problem is Apple. The rule is not thousands of Apple owners all crapping all over their expensive Apple items and then docking Apple stars on their own website due to those actions. Apple makes crap cables.

Quote:

Quote:

As you note, the problem is known and common. You can be an Apple defender and still note that. You just can't be a blind fan boy and ignore it though.

• Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:

Quote:

Apple isn't perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality.

The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief, and due to Greenpeace's constant attemps to make Apple "greener": non-PVC cables are crap.

Non-PVC plastic just doesn't have the flexibility, and so Apple makes their cables out of foamed plastic. Eventually the non-flexible plastic weakens and cracks. That just doesn't happen with PVC. So instead of keeping one cable for years, I get them replaced bi-monthly by driving to the Apple store. That's so much more "green" than using PVC, eh Greenpeace? Why anyone pays any attention to those hippies is beyond me.

I had £65 Apple headphones do the same, Beats headphones probably use PVC and so are most likely better build quality than Apple's.

If you replace your cables every two months, you clearly don't know to handle electronics, unlike the rest of the human race.

• Reply 31 of 99
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I bought a pair of Beats a couple of years ago. Don't use it all that much, yet, the cord is totally frayed, with copper exposed. And that's the one with the volume etc. controls. Annoying.

Oh, THOSE. Okay; it was ambiguous at first.

Apple isn’t perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality. The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief…

Yeah, wrong. Take better care of your stuff.

• Reply 32 of 99

So you take an old cable design from 6 years ago to try and prove your point that Apple makes crap cables? Nice try... You do know they re-designed these many years ago, right?
    I take care of all my possessions. I've never had water damage nor cracked a button, port, screen, anything on my Mac, iPhones, iPad, etc. In this case the problem is Apple. The rule is not thousands of Apple owners all crapping all over their expensive Apple items and then docking Apple stars on their own website due to those actions. Apple makes crap cables.

Good for you, glad to hear you've never spilled anything, smashed anything, cracked anything, on any of your Apple gear. Now if only you can learn to be as nice to your cables. Every single Apple product that's ever come across my desk has had the cables mangled almost beyond recognition. Even those that baby the actual device, torture the cables. This is not Apple's fault, this is sheer stupidity of the consumer.
    As you note, the problem is known and common. You can be an Apple defender and still note that. You just can't be a blind fan boy and ignore it though.

Stupidity is a known and common affliction these days too, just look at the average American consumer, or better yet, your average Congress senator. Enough said.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

So you take an old cable design from 6 years ago to try and prove your point that Apple makes crap cables? Nice try... You do know they re-designed these many years ago, right?
    Quote:

Good for you, glad to hear you've never spilled anything, smashed anything, cracked anything, on any of your Apple gear. Now if only you can learn to be as nice to your cables. Every single Apple product that's ever come across my desk has had the cables mangled almost beyond recognition. Even those that baby the actual device, torture the cables. This is not Apple's fault, this is sheer stupidity of the consumer.
    Quote:

Stupidity is a known and common affliction these days too, just look at the average American consumer, or better yet, your average Congress senator. Enough said.

We presume that man gets more intelligent with each generation. I'm not so sure.

• Reply 34 of 99
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Ugh.

They should just put them all in the Refurbished section of the site.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    We presume that man gets more intelligent with each generation. I'm not so sure.
    Neither am I, just look at the content on YouTube
  • Reply 36 of 99
    allenbf wrote: »
    Ugh.

They should just put them all in the Refurbished section of the site.
    Some of the new generation Beats designs have gotten much better, especially where sound quality is concerned. The build quality still needs work though, especially on the low to mid-range models.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Neither am I, just look at the content on YouTube

I've come to the conclusion that YouTube is geared towards teenagers and children, which makes sense when you look at its owner, Larry Page. It's a shame that it's such a cacophonous mess, though; you can be sure that if Apple were to own it, it would be a pleasant user experience. Vimeo is getting better; I like the interface and absence of ads.

• Reply 38 of 99
    I've come to the conclusion that YouTube is geared towards teenagers and children, which makes sense when you look at its owner, Larry Page. It's a shame that it's such a cacophonous mess, though; you can be sure that if Apple were to own it, it would be a pleasant user experience. Vimeo is getting better; I like the interface and absence of ads.
    So you like Vimeo? I've been debating whether I should sign up for it. I already have the apps on my iOS devices for it, just haven't had the time to explore yet...
  • Reply 39 of 99
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    If you replace your cables every two months, you clearly don't know to handle electronics, unlike the rest of the human race.

Ah, then why does the cable have just 1 star with 1000 reviews? With virtually every review saying it's frayed at the strain relief? I make electronics for a living, I think I know how to handle them thanks. This is just really bad design, which you are blindly defending. When thousands of people are having the same identical problem, it's not a usage problem, its a design problem, just as Trumptman said. There was a recall on iMacs for a HDD failure, was that the user's fault too? Maybe they were using them too much? And Apple's battery recalls? Maybe the user shouldn't have let the battery charge up to more than 50% so it wouldn't catch fire. Apple isn't perfect, despite what you like to think. Head in sand comes to mind.

Yeah, wrong. Take better care of your stuff.

Hello fanboy king. Even if you did have a cable fail (which you likely have) you'd never admit it, lest you chastise your beloved Apple.
    Who said anything about me being in a store?

"GET OUT" generally assumes someone is inside somewhere, and since people come to you with these broken cables, my best assumption is a store. Unless your family comes to you with the cables, and you tell them to "GET OUT" which would be equally unpleasant.
    *starts pulling on strain relief point of his Lightning cable*

Weird, seems to be just fine to me, a hell of a lot better and more robust than the ones used on Monster and Beats gear...

Do that a few more times and I can guarantee it'll break.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Ah, then why does the cable have just 1 star with 1000 reviews? With virtually every review saying it's frayed at the strain relief? I make electronics for a living, I think I know how to handle them thanks. This is just really bad design, which you are blindly defending. When thousands of people are having the same identical problem, it's not a usage problem, its a design problem, just as Trumptman said. There was a recall on iMacs for a HDD failure, was that the user's fault too? Maybe they were using them too much? And Apple's battery recalls? Maybe the user shouldn't have let the battery charge up to more than 50% so it wouldn't catch fire. Apple isn't perfect, despite what you like to think. Head in sand comes to mind.

Does Apple make their own drives? No, they were made by Seagate, and it was Seagate's manufacturing defects, which also included drives outside of Apple's products.

Does Apple make their own batteries? No, they were made by various third-parties, and it was them who discovered the design flaws.

Apple makes their own cables, and people abuse the crap out of them, pure and simple.
    "GET OUT" generally assumes someone is inside somewhere, and since people come to you with these broken cables, my best assumption is a store. Unless your family comes to you with the cables, and you tell them to "GET OUT" which would be equally unpleasant.

So now you're trying to drag my family into this? Nice attempt at hitting below the belt. If anyone from my family comes to me with a mutilated wire, I will chastise them to a lesser degree, and just replace the cable for them. If they do it habitually, I just tell them to start taking better care of them.
    Do that a few more times and I can guarantee it'll break.

*does that a few more times*

Nope, still not broken, nor are the two other 30-pin cables I have in my drawer that are more than 7 years old. Nor is this 6 year old MacBook first-yen MagSafe power adaptor I salvaged from a dead laptop, and the cable is in pretty rough shape...