1Password for iOS/Mac gets temporary price cut, upcoming iOS 8 version to be free update [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
It was announced on Thursday that popular iOS and Mac password management app 1Password is on sale for a limited time, and that a future built-for-iOS 8 version with Touch ID support will be available as a free update for existing users.

In a post to its official blog on Thursday, 1Password developer AgileBits said the price cut to $9.99 comes as the result of a New York Times report on Wednesday that claimed Russian hackers have amassed over one billion Internet passwords.

While the origin and extent of the breached password data is unclear, AgileBits notes users should still have strong protections in place in case their information is one day stolen.

When Apple's next-generation iOS 8 launches this fall, 1Password will be ready with Touch ID support, meaning users will no longer have to remember long pass phrases to open the app. In addition, with iOS 8's app extensions, 1Password can finally see integration with other apps, bringing comprehensive protection to titles like mobile Safari.

The last major 1Password updated came in June, when AgileBits overhauled the app with AirDrop compatibility, better integration with 1Password for Mac and a clean iOS 7-inspired redesign.

1Password weighs in at 14.9MB and is available now for $9.99 from the iOS App Store. The accompanying Mac version is also on sale for for $34.99 on the Mac App Store.

Update: AgileBits has also cut $15 off the price of 1Password for Mac. The article has been updated to reflect this change.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I don’t remember why I’d need this over what OS X/iOS does natively. Anyone?

• Reply 2 of 97
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member

I'll be getting my hands on it tomorrow. One for the wife and one for me. Tough remembering passwords these days.

• Reply 3 of 97
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This makes me wish Apple offer Mac and iOS app bundles when iOS 8 and Yosemite is released. There will be iOS app bundles though, which is good.

On 1Password.. I love this app!!
  • Reply 4 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1Password (and the Password Manager app I use/love on all my iOS/OSX/Win7 devices - DataVault) is more than a password manager. It is a means of providing secure encrypted storage of information.

• Reply 5 of 97

I have 1Password for my iMac, iPhone and iPad. I just read in the paper today, that a password such as "Ihatepasswords" is  better than "#wsyfgr59sgoa."

Oh well.

• Reply 6 of 97
    Quote:

Because of the solid integration with all browsers, not just Safari, plus the convenience of telling it a site you want to go to and having it launch your browser, navigate to that site, and log you in with a single click. Also secure storage of credit card info (again, this can be used in browsers other than Safari), software licenses, notes, bank account info (I use it to store my account and routing numbers), membership (gym, auto club, etc), as well as multiple identities (as in, you can populate your address info into an order form with a single click whether it's the address of your home, office, girlfriend, parents, or nemesis).

Also, unlike iCloud Keychain, 1Password works. iCloud Keychain is very handy when it does work, but I have found its syncing to be unreliable. 1Password syncs via Dropbox or a number of other methods (including peer-to-peer if you don't want your information, encrypted as it is, routed through a third party).

I too was wondering if I would continue to rely on 1Password after Mavericks and I have to say definitively, yes I do.

• Reply 7 of 97
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I have 1Password for my iMac, iPhone and iPad. I just read in the paper today, that a password such as "Ihatepasswords" is  better than "#wsyfgr59sgoa."

Oh well.

I tend to doubt that the example you give is better -- assuming your definition of better is 'more secure'. The first can be hacked with a dictionary attack whereas the second is totally random an uses a mix of lowercase alpha, numbers and punctuation. By simple reasoning alone your 14 char passwords are made up of a common simple phrase consisting of 3 words (one being the most common password used) whereas the other could be stronger and contain as many english language pairs I would consider it stronger. Care to share your source?

• Reply 8 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I tend to doubt that the example you give is better -- assuming your definition of better is 'more secure'. The first can be hacked with a dictionary attack whereas the second is totally random an uses a mix of lowercase alpha, numbers and punctuation. By simple reasoning alone your 14 char passwords are made up of a common simple phrase consisting of 3 words (one being the most common password used) whereas the other could be stronger and contain as many english language pairs I would consider it stronger. Care to share your source?

I thought it odd, too, DIH....

Source: Arizona Republic

Ken Colburn Founder and CEO of DataDoctors:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/08/06/steps-protect-russian-hackers-breach/13690497/

Best,

• Reply 9 of 97
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Apple's keychain offers only a subset of the functionality you get in 1Password.

For starters, Keychain is less secure in that anyone who gets access to your computer can access your passwords. 1Password can lock itself after a predetermined time, and require re-entry of the master password, which can be separate from your Mac or iOS login/passcode. 1Password is  both a standalone app and a web plug-in (and not limited to just Safari), and it has a much richer interface for managing your passwords and personal info.

It also has advanced security features, such as highlighting websites that have been recently compromised by security exploits so you can change your password. It gives you many configuration options when suggesting passwords, and can show you existing weak or duplicate passwords.

In web browsers, 1Password can log you into websites even when the websites are set to disallow saving of passwords, which is a common annoyance with banks, for example. For credit cards it can not only remember your account number but also your expiration date and CVV code, as well as additional customizable fields.

With Yosemite and iOS 8, 1Password will take advantage of Extensions so that it can even enter passwords in apps, instead of just on web pages, and prompt you for a fingerprint scan instead of requiring the master password.

• Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/936:_Password_Strength

Tl/DR: A long password comprised of simple words is more secure and easier to remember than a shorter alphanumeric password with symbols and punctuation.

• Reply 11 of 97
    Quote:

Oh well.

Quote:

Quote:

I thought it odd, too, DIH....

Source: Arizona Republic

Ken Colburn Founder and CEO of DataDoctors:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/08/06/steps-protect-russian-hackers-breach/13690497/

Best,

I just read what he said and although the concept is correct, the way he said it is wrong.  A passphrase with at least 8 parts is more secure than a totally random password that you have to write down to remember (It is the writing down part that makes it insecure).   Just like P@ssw0rd is a bad choice because it is so common, IHatePasswords! is also bad for being so common (Not to mention short).  Having said that however, using a password vault like 1Password and a fully randomized password is the most secure, as your password is not available in "plain text" but you have the full randomness of a crazy password like #wsyfgr59sgoa.  Also you have the added benefit of a different password for each site, so if one password is compromised, not all of your passwords are compromised.  Just make sure that your Master password is a high security but easy for you to remember password/passphrase.

Edit: I just saw FreeDiverX's post and his cartoon demonstrates the concept of passphrases perfectly.    I still like the longer 8 part passphrases, but if the words are random, he is correct that 4 should be enough.

• Reply 12 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I don't see the point either. Maybe people are unaware of the iCloud keychain? 

• Reply 13 of 97
    hotbluehotblue Posts: 16member
    1Password is amazing. iCloud Keychain is alright but as others have said its a subset of 1Password. I work with it everyday. It is indispensable to me.
  • Reply 14 of 97
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

This.  Why use this over Keychain?  I'm curious if anybody has user feedback.

• Reply 15 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Perhaps you should read some of the comments...

• Reply 16 of 97
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

I just read in the paper today...

Well it must be true then.

• Reply 17 of 97
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

1. You're not always on a Mac or iOS device

2. You're not stuck to using Safari

3. Not all websites support iCloud Keychain in fact when I tried it, barely any did. 

4. iCloud keychain doesn't seem to support complex forms such as banking login's while 1Password does

5. There are better complexity choices for 1Password

6. Passwords for 1Password are not stored in the cloud so if iCloud goes down, so does your ability to login. I tend to believe its more secure to not have your passwords stored elsewhere. Yes, my 1Password database is stored in iCloud, but only for syncing purposes and its an encrypted proprietary file. 

Simply put, iCloud Keychain isn't really that great vs using something like 1Password. Its much more versatile. 

• Reply 18 of 97
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't see the point either. Maybe people are unaware of the iCloud keychain? 

See freediverx's first reply (post #10).

He touches on all the major valid points and correctly identifies the numerous instances where iCloud keychain comes up short.

Moreover, 1Password has built-in templates for a wider variety of data types, like driver licenses, reward programs, memberships, social security numbers, passports, software licenses, wifi routers, bank accounts (including routing number, Swift, IBAN, etc.) and allows for customizable fields as well (e.g., multiple security questions/answers for banks).

I occasionally book travel for family members, so having their details (passport, drivers license, frequent flyer memberships, etc.) is useful, as are social security numbers for designating beneficiaries.

The app's default security is tighter than iCloud keychain by default. If someone busts into your iDevice (or if you loan it to someone), they still need to enter a password to access 1Password, by default a longer alphanumeric password (not a 4-digit PIN).

Most of these shortcomings were pointed out when iCloud keychain debuted (iOS 7.0.3 on October 22, 2013) which is why 1Password has been a very successful app, even after iCloud keychain became available to the general public. iCloud keychain itself was discussed at the WWDC 2013, so it has been well over a year when its limitations were revealed.

Personally, I would be happy to ditch the spendy 1Password app for something native to the iOS operating system, but it needs to have a reasonably similar level of usefulness, flexibility, and security, none of which are present in the current version of iCloud keychain.

And hey, I haven't given up my Yahoo Mail IMAP account, Flickr account or Dropbox account either!

:D 

• Reply 19 of 97
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

1. You're not always on a Mac or iOS device

2. You're not stuck to using Safari

3. Not all websites support iCloud Keychain in fact when I tried it, barely any did. 

4. iCloud keychain doesn't seem to support complex forms such as banking login's while 1Password does

5. There are better complexity choices for 1Password

6. Passwords for 1Password are not stored in the cloud so if iCloud goes down, so does your ability to login. I tend to believe its more secure to not have your passwords stored elsewhere. Yes, my 1Password database is stored in iCloud, but only for syncing purposes and its an encrypted proprietary file. 

Simply put, iCloud Keychain isn't really that great vs using something like 1Password. Its much more versatile. 

It sounds like a lot of dubiously useful fluff to store a list of passwords.  I'm guessing more and more are using iCloud keychain: hence the sale.

I only use iCloud keychain for a few less critical entities. For the important stuff, a password protected Numbers document on iCloud containing a list of needed log/passes is a lot more desirable than introducing another third party, 1Password, into the mix.  I have no reason to suspect they aren't secure, but its just one more point of failure.

Then again, I'm the kinda guy who uses the built-in tools on max, and only go 3rd party for extras when absolutely needed.  This leaves a lot of third party stuff at the door, including everything Google makes (which includes the bloatware Chrome).  All this gives me a total +5 security power advantage over other nerds in this specific dork quest. :smokey: 

• Reply 20 of 97
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Sounds like a paid endorsement/ad. Not news or rumor. Apps are updated all the time. Big whoop-dee-doo.