Google tests new 'Listen Now' music ads promoting Apple's Beats Music, others

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Google on Friday rolled out a new ad option for users looking for music and artists through the tech giant's search engine, with direct links pointing to Google Play, Spotify, Rhapsody and Apple's Beats Music.

As seen above, Google searches for music tracks, albums and performers will return the usual information box, but with a new "Listen Now" ad and at least three links to streaming music services and stores. The addition is meant to simplify the process of buying music online, reports The Wall Street Journal.

For example, when searching for "The Corrs," Google returns information about the band, its history, selected tracks and pictures, with the Listen Now ad block squeezed in near the top. It looks as though all listings feature the Google Play music store first, followed by Rhapsody, Spotify and Apple's recently acquired Beats Music.

As noted by the publication, music sellers have been able to purchase ad space, but Google's unified grouping and labeling of services in line with track and artist information is new. The publication cites a person familiar with the mater as saying the ads are performing well, and Google said music services pay on a per-click basis.

"We're happy to help users quickly find legitimate sources for their favorite movies, music and more via Google search," said a Google spokesperson.

It is unknown when exactly Google rolled out the new feature, but sources told the WSJ that testing has been ongoing for the past few weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

As noted by the publication, music sellers have been able to purchase ad space, but Google's unified grouping and labeling of services in line with track and artist information is new. The publication cites a person familiar with the mater as saying the ads are performing well, and Google said music services pay on a per-click basis.

"We're happy to help users quickly find legitimate sources for their favorite movies, music and more via Google search," said a Google spokesperson.

Seems a good deal for Spotify, Apple-owned Beats and Rhapsody. I'd imagine Google can deliver quite a few potential music buyers their way. Grouping them gives the whole segment a higher profile.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    This is the side of Google I like, the website side and the Obkective-C side as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    "Apple-owned Beats by Apple-owned Dr. Dre."
  • Reply 4 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I would imagine for 3 billion dollars you would allow such a hyphenate as well.

• Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I would imagine for 3 billion dollars you would allow such a hyphenate as well.

Hi Relic-hope you're okay and not being worn out by your hospital mothering.

• Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Nah, their great, I even accepted a new roommate on Thursday.  The little girl in question had problems sleeping and was crying at night, keeping the other children in her room awake. Quite a sad situation really, her mother is from Iraq, came to Switzerland as a refugee, she's a single working mother who lives in the Italian part of Switzerland, the hospital is in the French part, so it's not easy for her to visit her daughter, so she is alone during most of the week.  She's a really cute little girl, chemotherapy isn't very pleasant, for an adult to go threw it is bad, a child, down right horrible. The nausea is enough to drive the strongest person to tears. Unfortunately I'm not the pillar of health myself at the moment to comfort her, I'm bleeding a little internally after my last operation. I blew a stitch, but the doctors don't want to go back in until my BP and other vitals are stable enough and to add insult to injury, I'm incubated, I look like a character out of Star Wars. Death be knocking at my door matey, aaaarrrrrhhhh.

Oh, if I watch Frozen one more time I'm going to toss my tablet against the wall.

• Reply 7 of 8
    relic wrote: »

Nah, their great, I even accepted a new roommate on Thursday.  The little girl in question had problems sleeping and was crying at night, keeping the other children in her room awake. Quite a sad situation really, her mother is from Iraq, came to Switzerland as a refugee, she's a single working mother who lives in the Italian part of Switzerland, the hospital is in the French part, so it's not easy for her to visit her daughter, so she is alone during most of the week.  She's a really cute little girl, chemotherapy isn't very pleasant, for an adult to go threw it is bad, a child, down right horrible. The nausea is enough to drive the strongest person to tears. Unfortunately I'm not the pillar of health myself at the moment to comfort her, I'm bleeding a little internally after my last operation. I blew a stitch, but the doctors don't want to go back in until my BP and other vitals are stable enough and to add insult to injury, I'm incubated, I look like a character out of Star Wars. Death be knocking at my door matey, aaaarrrrrhhhh.

Oh, if I watch Frozen one more time I'm going to toss my tablet against the wall.

Your spirit in the face of dark adversity is amazing.

I hope you find some spaghetti to fling at the wall in lieu of your tablet.

You earlier mentioned the violin—it's something I'd love to learn, though I think I'd be bad at it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your spirit in the face of dark adversity is amazing.

I hope you find some spaghetti to fling at the wall in lieu of your tablet.

You earlier mentioned the violin—it's something I'd love to learn, though I think I'd be bad at it.

Not really, I'm just on so much medication I would probably push down the detonator button for a bomb if someone handed me the remote.  Not because I'm evil or anything, it would just be to shiny not too? You'll never know till you try, however the violin is also like Pole Vaulting, you either have it in you to learn or you don't.