What is it with Apple and ram?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I cant believe that they intend to ship off the base iMac with only 128 megs, what are you thinking, Apple!?

To me it should be the following:

iMac base - 512

iMac midrange - 512

iMac highend - 1024

low end G4 - 1024

mid G4 - 1024

High - 1500

low iBook - 256

mid - 512

high - 512

low PBG4 - 512

high PBG4 - 1024

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Dude, put down the bottle!

128-256MB is fine (although I don't like how the new iMac and its RAM is handled...see various other threads).

1024? 1.5GB? Uh, yeah...

• Reply 2 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually, I take that back...a LITTLE bit. With OS X wanting 128MB RAM, Apple should perhaps consider having all three iMacs ship with 256MB. 128MB DOES seem a bit skimpy these days.

BUT, I still can't believe the other high-ass amounts you call for.

• Reply 3 of 16
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Major Matt, I might be able to see 256 across the line, but then people would complain about how Apple always overcharges for RAM and that they should allow computer buyers to install their own.

As for your grid, let's look at what the computers ship with now.

The 'low' PBG4 ships with 256 MB RAM, the 'medium' ships with 512, and the 'high' ships with 1024. That's basically what you're asking for.

These are the machines that Apple is the most 'generous' with memory.

The iBook, iMac, and Power Mac G4, however, ship with 128 on the lower side, and 256 on the high end. It's not like Apple doesn't give you the option to upgrade these machines with RAM, either.

The only machine that really requires more RAM is the Power Mac G4. 128 MB RAM is embarassing. I'd like to see them ranging from 256 on the low end to 1024 on the high end like the Professional laptop (PBG4). The Consumer machines, however, are fine with their current memory.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Forget about the iMac, they shouldn't have 128MB on the G4s like they do.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    For any machine that comes with OS X standard, it should atleast have 256mb of RAM. It's not that expensive and it kinda bites with you have to upgrade right on the spot.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    solosolo Posts: 89member
    Y do they charge so much for extra ram? Even after their recent price drops they still charge 3 times or more than other places!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    RAM prices are skyrocketing right now.

256 MB of CL2 PC133 will set you back $75-85 from <a href="http://www.crucial.com"; target="_blank">www.crucial.com</a>

I paid ~$20 for CL2 PC100 from OWC in 2001.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Even so, I was astounded to see Apple's how LOW Apple's RAM prices are, at least compared with what they used to be. You can now order a PowerMac with 1.5 GB of memory for $500 above the base price, not $1000+ like it used to be.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I just got my wife an iBook (not here yet). It was the combo model but I got 256MB RAM instead of 128. I also got an aiport card.

It cost $48 at the ed. store. That isn't bad. I paid $120 fo 256MB from OWC (I believe) for my Pismo last year and it was a steal at the time.

Remember, the RAM is then installed by Apple as is the airport card. After having installed it myself once in a Pismo, I can say it wasn't that hard, but still a little tricky in a laptop. For $48, I'll let them do it using actual Apple certified RAM.

There prices have come down like 50%....finally.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 16
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Holy Crap! 512 is up to 80 dollars! When did that happen?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Why does this issue still come up?

Apple has historically put only a bare minimum of RAM into their machines (particularly the low-end ones) to allow their VARs to offer a free RAM "upgrade" as a buying incentive. Check any 3rd-party Mac seller - MacMall, MacWarehouse - and you'll see these models being sold with more RAM than Apple ships them with at the same price. (MacWarehouse is <a href="http://www2.warehouse.com/default.asp?home=mac&cat=mac"; target="_blank">already</a> doing it and the machines haven't even hit the streets yet.)

Hint: If you want a deal on a new Mac, don't buy direct from Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    There's one thing you need to keep in mind that I did not realize till it happened to me. I bought my new iMac from MacMall and they had their typical "free RAM" deal. They give you 256 MB for a $30 install few. The thing is Apple installs the RAM themselves and apparently it is an Apple program. So, when you see high prices on the Apple store my belief is that at least part of that cost is labor.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    I've heard that Apple also locks itself into multi year contracts (like most major computer companies do) with it's memory supplier. This is to protect Apple's component costs incase ram prices were to suddenly increase. Of course this also means that if they suddenly plunge (like they did in 2001) then Apple ends up paying more then they would if they paid current market price.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>There's one thing you need to keep in mind that I did not realize till it happened to me. I bought my new iMac from MacMall and they had their typical "free RAM" deal. They give you 256 MB for a $30 install few. The thing is Apple installs the RAM themselves and apparently it is an Apple program. So, when you see high prices on the Apple store my belief is that at least part of that cost is labor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You sure? A few years ago my dad got an iMac from MacConnection and the box was re-sealed so I figured that they installed the RAM, not Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

You sure? A few years ago my dad got an iMac from MacConnection and the box was re-sealed so I figured that they installed the RAM, not Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that's what the rep said, but I have no proof of that.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

Ok?