Purported assembled 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' display shown off in new photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A set of photos out of the Far East on Sunday reportedly give an up-close view of an assembled 4.7-inch display bound for Apple's "iPhone 6," complete with cover glass, mounting structures and flex cables.

The images from Apple.club.tw are said to be production versions of both black and white faceplate options, a color scheme that mirrors Apple's current iPhone 5s offerings. Sunday's photos are the first to show a complete screen unit containing cover glass and display.

Consistent with current rumors, the display features trimmed-down side bezels to accommodate the larger format 4.7-inch LCD, while the top and bottom "chin" and "forehead" areas with holes for Touch ID and ear speaker/sensor package are also slightly modified. The new bezel widths are most apparent with the white version.

Moving to the rear, the part appears to have a complete display package with backlight installed, as seen by the protective film covering most of the panel. A central QR code and serial number are left revealed for what is thought to be manufacturing and quality control purposes. Missing is the usual electromagnetic shielding that has in the past been attached directly to the faceplate. It is possible that the metal plate will be added on during a later stage of production, or Apple may have rejiggered the phone's internal design to marry the component with the rear chassis.

A pair of flex cables are clearly seen jutting out from the display's top section, a design consistent with current and past iPhone models. The connectors themselves are noticeably different from the iPhone 5s, which are smaller and extend farther away from the display body. Also seen on both the flex cables and a nearby QR code patch are Apple logos.

Apple is expected to debut its next iPhone this fall, with recent reports claiming the company is planning to unveil the handset at a special media event on Sept. 9. Many have forecast Apple to launch both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone models for 2014, though production issues may be holding up the larger "phablet" device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And then Apple scans the QR code and nails the people responsible.

• Reply 2 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I met an Apple employee not long ago. He was really secretive. What I found strange is that he had an iPhone 5-sized screen in his office, a part directly from Apple. I asked if it was an iPhone 6, he then genuinely said "I don't know". He was being honest.

I tried to convince him to let me take it home since he was done with it. He said he should hang in to it and I respected that.

Where it gets really fishy is that around March he worked on a screen but this one was in a box with a lock and an Apple employee guarding it with his life. After he finished his work on it this screen was put back in a box with lock and sent back to Apple engineers with the employee guarding it the whole time.

He had finished work on the regular suzed screen around May. So I'm hoping the current size will also be available.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

...an Apple employee guarding it with his life. 

He had a bunch of nVidia graphics cards strapped to his chest and hooked up to a button that, when pressed, ran an overclocking program on them.

• Reply 4 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This screen doesn't match what Marques Brownlee showed off on YouTube. I call fake.

iphone%206%20glass%202.png
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I like to see the back of the case to see how the antenna separators are visible or not! That my only puzzle left for the iPhone 6. I been told that it not that hard to cover them up with a piece of plastic and then overspray the back.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    sog35 wrote: »
    yup Marques Brownlee definetly fake.
    his was scratched by sandpaper.
    No solid evidence the next iPhone will have sapphire display. IMO this one looks like a fake because it looks like just a larger 5S display. I have a hard time believing we're just going to get a larger version of the 5s display. Since the new phone is going to be bigger and Apple has already added edge swipes to iOS it only makes sense that the new iPhone will have curved edges.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cali wrote: »
    So I'm hoping the current size will also be available.
    Oh God me too.

I don't really care for the iPhone 5 ... Too tall. I'm still using my 4S, but the speed is killing me now. Plus the home and power button doesn't work reliably anymore. But I LOVR the smaller form factor.

But, if I had to chose between the iPhone 5 and an even bigger iPhone, I'd pick the iPhone 5 form factor without hesitation. I'm an Apple guy, and I'm married to e iPhone platform (seriously what else is there?). But I would hate being forced to move up to a bigger phone just to upgrade -- that's he one bit of sanity I could hold over the ridiculous Android phablet users ... would hate to be arbitrarily forced into their league.

I just have to wonder if Apple is really going to support three iPhone screen sizes. It's so not what I've come to expect from them. And considering they're still selling the 4 in some foreign markets, might they continue with the 4S as well? That's support for 4 screen sizes under iOS 8 (unless they break with tradition of giving the discontinued product one final update).
  • Reply 8 of 40
    So obvious the 5.5 is coming.
    More proof added to the pudding.
    Are you just taking the piss or is this some elaborate trolling? How does a photo of a 4.7" display mean a 5.5" phone is coming? What "proof" are you referring to?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Are you just taking the piss or is this some elaborate trolling?

It HAS to be the former at this point.

• Reply 10 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

No solid evidence the next iPhone will have sapphire display. IMO this one looks like a fake because it looks like just a larger 5S display. I have a hard time believing we're just going to get a larger version of the 5s display. Since the new phone is going to be bigger and Apple has already added edge swipes to iOS it only makes sense that the new iPhone will have curved edges.

I would like to state that I could use either of those screens one handed- so whichever is legit, I'm fine with.  Can't wait.

Quote:

Are you just taking the piss or is this some elaborate trolling? How does a photo of a 4.7" display mean a 5.5" phone is coming? What "proof" are you referring to?

If people would stop quoting him than my ignore feature would work.  Can everyone just not feed the troll?

We can all but be assured there is no 5.5" (I would have loved it, but still thrilled with 4.7").  An October launch is WAY out of the question- there hasn't been a single leak- and it's August 10th.  Only way it could potentially happen is a Sept announcement with November release.  But think how ridiculous that sounds.

• Reply 11 of 40
    I will respect Andysol's request and not quote the idiot upstairs, but I have to say again that this stuff about a display not being sapphire because it was scratched by sandpaper is totally ridiculous.

First, sharp grains of any material will handily scratch a smooth surface of the same hardness. Secondly, sandpaper is carborundum (silicon carbide), which is up to 9.5 on the Mohs scale. Alumina ("Sapphire"—still can't understand how they can legally call it that) is 9. Sandpaper will scratch anything other than diamond, pretty much.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    ^^^

None of that means I think the iPhone will have a sapphire display anytime soon, if ever.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    He had a bunch of nVidia graphics cards strapped to his chest and hooked up to a button that, when pressed, ran an overclocking program on them.

it's funny cause my friend told the guy "let's get lunch" and he replied "I can't leave the box." so they ordered delivery.

sounds fishy.
    need pics.

NO. Not gonna risk this persons job just to satisfy a few skeptics online. I'm grateful he shared these little bits with me. Plus pics will prove NOTHING to you online, only raise
    more questions. I'm just sharing what I can share without getting people fired and blacklisted.
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Oh God me too.

I don't really care for the iPhone 5 ... Too tall. I'm still using my 4S, but the speed is killing me now. Plus the home and power button doesn't work reliably anymore. But I LOVR the smaller form factor.

But, if I had to chose between the iPhone 5 and an even bigger iPhone, I'd pick the iPhone 5 form factor without hesitation...

the only strange thing is, they let my friend keep the iPhone 5 sized screen and guarded the other screen in a box with a lock.

Apple only tells him WHAT to do not WHY they need the work done. So basically he could have just been working on how to improve repairs. But the screen in the box was definitely iPhone 6. So makes me wonder why they left the other screen with him.

But whatever happens I share you're concerns. I think it would be a lot smarter to release a 5.5" for the phablet lusters and an iPhone-5 size the rest of us.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Those are crappy photos. I'm all in on the new iPhone since my AT&T contract expires. I really don't care what size is. I'm sure it will be the best iPhone I have ever owned. 

• Reply 15 of 40
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I agree in that I hope they offer the existing size. I don't care for a larger phone. I could even go a bit smaller (like 4S but thinner would be cool). I keep it in my pocket, and I don't want to have to shove a larger phone (phablet? ugh) into my pocket.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    yup Marques Brownlee definetly fake.
    his was scratched by sandpaper.

I wonder why many people believe in YouTube. Create a fake then boom money!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

I wonder why many people believe in YouTube. Create a fake then boom money!!!!

• Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It HAS to be the former at this point.

Well, @sog35 admitted on another thread that he was trolling.. specifically you TS!

• Reply 19 of 40
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Well, @sog35 admitted on another thread that he was trolling.. specifically you TS!

And with that, I cry myself to sleep yet another night. Ah, well.

Shame, too. I’d actually warmed to the idea of a 5.5” iPod touch/Apple TV remote/dedicated wise home utility controller.

• Reply 20 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    <iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6KS-ypy88fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Those are the kinds of hoaxes that test the imaginary mettle of an entire nation... Courage.