Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads

Comments

• Reply 101 of 288
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Surface user does virus scans all the live-long day FTW

• Reply 102 of 288
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yup nearly half the weight of a Pro3.

EDIT: Ooops... misread as an Air instead of Macbook Air. . The Pro3 actually weighs less than that Macbook I think.

EDIT2: the Macbook Air is heavier by about half a pound.
    Surface Pro 3: 2.42 pounds (with keyboard)

MacBook Air: 2.96 pounds
    People have too much incorrect information.  If we want to have proper discourse on all these great technology devices then let's get facts straight.  I've spent a lot of time here correcting people about weights and sizes.  Unbelievable as it is the Surface is very thin and very light.

And yet, the Surface at 2.42 pounds weighs almost 150% more than the iPad Air. Seeing as Microsoft have never shown it being used without the keyboard, they seem to expect you to buy it, which makes it so much heavier than the iPad.

It's worth drumming into you and the other Microsoft apologists on this thread: Microsoft don't get tablets and they never have. They show no signs of doing so, either, which means that the future of computing, starting with the iPad in 2010, belongs to Apple; Microsoft are on course to be a footnote in computing history.
  • Reply 103 of 288
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post

No it's thinner and lighter than the MBA, sorry should have explained it better.

Some of the things you say are true but others would need some sources behind them.  For example the MBA creaming the Surface in performance is not supported by any performance comparisons or benchmark test run by multiple tech blogs.  Looking at Anandtech, PC Advisor, Engadget, Techradar there is no creaming evident.  The MBA is better in some areas but marginally.  If performance is a big issue then there is the i7 Surface.

The kickstand is what makes it more usable, not less.  It's a tablet form factor with a kickstand that allows it to sit freely in 'laptop mode'.  It can sit on the desk, in your lap or on the plane drop table.  It also allows full range of motion which is useful for my artistry work where I like to have whatever I'm drawing on at and angle and also allowing my palm to rest on it without interfering.  If you feel having a kickstand is unsightly and doesn't fit with the beautiful one-piece device then that's fine, but saying it has usability issues is laughable.

If you don't want to sit at your desk and use the kickstand long-term (who would), then use the docking station and turn it into a more traditional PC.

Compared with the majority of Windows laptops (el cheapos) it is excellent, both in hardware and build quality.  There are premium Windows laptops that are better but that takes nothing away from the Surface.  I would argue it's the best hybrid on the market.  The Lenovo Yoga is the closest.

Sure battery is not as good.  Can't argue with that.  They'll tweak a bit more out of it.

Spend time with it and the interface works.  The 3:2 aspect ratio and time they've spend on optimising scaling means there isn't an issue with classic desktop being too small.  You get more information on the screen and in beautiful retina display quality.

MS have been trying for a long time and are getting better products out each year.  The idea of a perfect all-in-one device is great in my mind, but we're not there yet.  As of now the Surface fits my need of one device, with portability, performance, laptop and tablet modes, a pen, touchscreen and the ability to wind down with a game of something.  Now I never have to carry 2 devices (excluding the phone (I confess it's a Lumia 1020)).

Dude you sound like a beaten wife in denial, desperately trying to cover for her husbands aberrant behavior.

You take MS's tact of moving the goalpost around so much you have even confused yourself, You said:

"Yes the screen size is larger than the iPad air but why take the accessories off?  It's both thinner and lighter with the accessories."

There is no "should have explained it better" to it.

Go be happy with your surface, it will no doubt be a colossal flop just like all the other surfaces (and the long line od windows tablet flops) but why does that matter to you? I know someone that bought 4 or 5 of the hp tablets when they dumped them (got them at $99) and is perfectly happy playing with them. The difference between him and you is he isn't deluding himself.

• Reply 104 of 288

The ads correctly depict the Surface's differentiating features... none of which seem to produce market share for MS.

• Reply 105 of 288
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member

EDIT: Ooops... misread as an Air instead of Macbook Air. . The Pro3 actually weighs less than that Macbook I think.

EDIT2: the Macbook Air is heavier by about half a pound.

Surface Pro 3: 2.42 pounds (with keyboard)

MacBook Air: 2.96 pounds

Uh... you are sliding the goalposts around again:

The 11" MBA (which has a similar sized screen (11.8") and more runtime) is 2.38 LBS

The 13" MBA IS 2.96 lbs but creams the surface in runtime (12+hours vs 6 to 7), has a 12.8" screen and performs significantly better.

• Reply 106 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

And yet, the Surface at 2.42 pounds weighs almost 150% more than the iPad Air. Seeing as Microsoft have never shown it being used without the keyboard, they seem to expect you to buy it, which makes it so much heavier than the iPad.

It's worth drumming into you and the other Microsoft apologists on this thread: Microsoft don't get tablets and they never have. They show no signs of doing so, either, which means that the future of computing, starting with the iPad in 2010, belongs to Apple; Microsoft are on course to be a footnote in computing history.

You're missing the point.  If you're using it as a tablet, like the iPad Air, you don't have the keyboard attached.  Just like if I'm not at my desk I don't use the docking station.

Plus the older iPads weigh 150% and more than the iPad Air but that was never an issue.  A lot of people are still on the iPad 4 but aren't suddenly finding it too heavy.

• Reply 107 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Dude you sound like a beaten wife in denial, desperately trying to cover for her husbands aberrant behavior.

You take MS's tact of moving the goalpost around so much you have even confused yourself, You said:

"Yes the screen size is larger than the iPad air but why take the accessories off?  It's both thinner and lighter with the accessories."

There is no "should have explained it better" to it.

No you're taking the replies out of context.  Look at the original.

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Compare the screen size to the iPad air, take off the keyboard and pen and compare weight to the 13 macbook air and on and on..

You don't need to take off the accessories to be lighter than the 13" MBA.  I could have written it better, maybe by using 'and' instead of 'but'.  I don't know why the conversation has turned to attacks on me and my grammar.  The weights of these devices are static so no goal posts are moved.

For example:

11 inch MBA: 1.08 kg

13 inch MBA: 1.35 kg

Surface: 0.79 kg

Surface with keyboard: ~1.08 kg

Everything is weighing about the same.  There is no need for a peeing competition.  The Surface is light and lighter some of the Apple devices and the marketing people at MS are targeting this in their ads.  That's their job.  Please continue ranting about goalposts.

• Reply 108 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

The 13" MBA IS 2.96 lbs but creams the surface in runtime (12+hours vs 6 to 7), has a 12.8" screen and performs significantly better.

Is it 10-12 hours or 12+ hours?  You keep quoting different numbers, plus repeating 'performs significantly better'.  I previously stated that the comparisons and benchmark tests show otherwise.

One factor in the battery life is that the Surface has retina quality display and the MBA doesn't.  In your words this means the Surface looks significantly better.

• Reply 109 of 288
    They make me laugh at how desperate they are for attention. Meanwhile the surface can't even begin to image to handle game processing such as Minecraft.
  • Reply 110 of 288
    Hello, I'd like to sell my MacBook Air for a MS Surface Pro; said no one ever....
  • Reply 111 of 288
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Good Lord, these ads are odious. They remind me of Samsung ads taking snide asides at Apple.

A few observations:

The Surface is never shown in portrait mode. This, alone, tells me that Microsoft don't get tablets, as portrait is the most comfortable way to use a tablet.

The Surface is never held, but kept in a stand, detached. It lacks that personal element that we love in our iPads.

Whilst the Air's keyboard is seen being used, the Surface keyboard is never used, perhaps because it's crap.

Well... these adds are trying to sell S3 as laptop replacement, so it makes some sense to compare it to laptop, and present it in laptop mode. I think at some point we might see adds focusing on S3 as tablet, too... but not many of those; as a tablet, S3 is bigger, heavier and much more expensive than competition, and raw power/storage/... advantages are mostly irrelevant for typical tablet usage. In short, S3 does not have (m)any advantages over any ARM (or even Atom) based tablets. But as amalgamation of laptop and tablet? Personally, I see some values there. I usually travel with both laptop and tablet, and add to that eReader, smartphone, camera or two... a lot of gadgets. When I was younger, I'd consider all that "gear" kind of cool, but I'm in my '40 now and I am starting to prefer concept of comfort to concept of "there's a gadget for THAT". Almost only thing I need from laptop when travelling is Lightroom, but since typical tablets still cannot do Lightroom in reasonable fashion for my needs, there is no way around it... unless I merge laptop and tablet in something like Surface.

In that light, presence of pen makes a lot of sense. I don't know how well S3 pen is executed, but if it is done good enough, S3 could be good tool for photographers (including aspiring ones, like myself) in general. It is closest thing to having PC and Wacom tablet away from the desk than anything else available out there. As additional small travel benefits for me, 12" screen would make nicer comics books reader, and screen size with integrated stand would not hurt watching videos, too.

Re S3 keyboard. I had a chance to play with one for a while. It is quite solid, actually surprisingly so. Big, flat, no-gap-between keys take some time to get used to, but even with relatively short travel, keys movement is well defined and backlight is executed well. Even touchpad is surprisingly well done - for Windows side of fence - even if with touch screen present, the importance of touchpad is somewhat marginalised.

Re the touch screen on computer. I don't like idea of large, desktop screens with touch - they are too big and too far from my eyes and hands to be comfortable for any longer usage, but on smaller screen that usually sits much closer to me? It actually works well. When I got my ThinkPad Tablet 2, I thought that I will not use touch screen when tablet is in laptop mode (with keyboard and mouse), but I actually found that scrolling and, occasionally, tapping links/buttons on screen feels nicer for me than reaching for mouse.

In short, it is compromise device, but for my usage scenarios, benefits could be stronger than compromises. I might wait to see how's Broadwell Surface (4?) going to fare, but when I finally decide to replace my good old ThinkPad 410, Surface Pro will be short-listed, at least.
  • Reply 112 of 288
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The truth of the matter is the Surface 3 is a good product, until any of you have actually used one for a duration of time longer then a day most of your comments are nothing but hot air. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using or owning a Surface 3. I use mine predominately for Abelton Live and FL Studio Groove and it's an absolute dream machine for those apps. I would love it if my MacBook Air had a touch screen but it doesn't so I had to look elsewhere for that capability, the Surface 3 fit those requirements. I didn't bother with purchasing the Surface keyboard as I already have a MS Wedge keyboard and mouse that works great, however most of the time I just use the onboard keyboard which is very accurate and one of the few virtual keyboards that I can type more then 30 words a minute on. It's light, great built quality, looks nice, fast, has an active digitizer and can run full desktop applications. Yes desktop apps work just fine with a touch interface as the Surface 3 display is very accurate. The MS commercial was ridiculous and I think they should suspend them, I didn't like the I am a Mac commercials for the same reason, I hate it when company's try's to show that their product is better then their competition by belittling them.

There is no such thing as the perfect computer so we all use what we think will get us closest to that goal, and specifically get the job done. The Surface 3 fill's a need in my digital life and does it wonderfully, so no amount of silly elitist comments will change my views on a product that I know is good because I actually own one.
  • Reply 113 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post

Quote:

You're missing the point.  If you're using it as a tablet, like the iPad Air, you don't have the keyboard attached.  Just like if I'm not at my desk I don't use the docking station.

Plus the older iPads weigh 150% and more than the iPad Air but that was never an issue.  A lot of people are still on the iPad 4 but aren't suddenly finding it too heavy.

Microsoft have never demonstrated the Surface used as a tablet; they always have the add-on keyboard attached to make it look like a pseudo-laptop. And for good reason: it isn't designed to be used in portrait mode as it is too long and thin; just another way in which Microsoft doesn't understand tablets.

The original iPad weighed 1.5 pounds, 50% more than the iPad Air, not 150% as you incorrectly state. That's still almost a pound lighter than the Surface-that's four year old technology. The iPad 4 weighed 1.44 pounds, which is 0.98 pounds lighter than the Surface. Anyone who went from a 1.5 pound tablet (the 2010 iPad) to a 2.5 pound tablet (the 2014 Surface) would be bound to find the Surface much too heavy. When you add to that the extra bulkiness, sharp edges and poor design, you have a surefire loser in Microsoft's abject offering.

• Reply 114 of 288
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    They make me laugh at how desperate they are for attention. Meanwhile the surface can't even begin to image to handle game processing such as Minecraft.

What do you mean?

It is not gaming machine, but it still is i5/i7 PC.
  • Reply 115 of 288
    Quote:

Microsoft have never demonstrated the Surface used as a tablet; they always have the add-on keyboard attached to make it look like a pseudo-laptop. And for good reason: it isn't designed to be used in portrait mode as it is too long and thin; just another way in which Microsoft doesn't understand tablets.

The original iPad weighed 1.5 pounds, 50% more than the iPad Air, not 150% as you incorrectly state. That's still almost a pound lighter than the Surface-that's four year old technology. The iPad 4 weighed 1.44 pounds, which is 0.98 pounds lighter than the Surface. Anyone who went from a 1.5 pound tablet (the 2010 iPad) to a 2.5 pound tablet (the 2014 Surface) would be bound to find the Surface much too heavy. When you add to that the extra bulkiness, sharp edges and poor design, you have a surefire loser in Microsoft's abject offering.

You state that MS demonstrates Surface as a pseudo-laptop, but then make a weight comparison of the Surface w/ keyboard cover to the iPad.  A better weight comparison would probably be of iPad to Surface w/o the keyboard cover and Macbook Air to Surface w/ keyboard cover. 

Also, the aspect ratio of the Surface Pro 3 is now 3:2, which makes it more portrait friendly.

• Reply 116 of 288
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    indyfx wrote: »
    Uh... you are sliding the goalposts around again:

Nope. You meed to go back and read the post I was replying to.
  • Reply 117 of 288
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    knowitall wrote: »
    So funny MS.

By the way A.I. the iPhone A.I. app doesn't let me pinch and zoom (most important feature of iOS) and doen't follow the screen rotation even when i'm playing it fullscreen ...
    And why is the web page the slowest I know of?
    Could you please fix this.

Totally agree with your comment that AI is the slowest POS of all websites I visit. For god's sake AI, you're a fking tech website! Act like it! Fire your IT staff and hire some competent people to redo your website properly. Absolutely pathetic! Aren't you at all embarrassed at what a POS it is?
  • Reply 118 of 288
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I owned one of the Samsung Windows 8 "Surface prototypes" that Microsoft gave away early on in the development of Windows 8. It was a bit of a novelty and a decently built machine with a dock and keyboard. I found a few things about it that still remain in the Surface 3 and Windows 8 that are quite jarring. The first was the presence of a fan. A tablet with a fan kind of blows the intimacy of a handheld device, at least for me. Perhaps they could move to a piezo electric fan to mask the fan-ness of the fan, but it threw me for a loop.

Another thing was that it never really felt like a tablet. It was more like a miniature all-in-one that stayed planted on the desktop surface (hence the name "Surface"). Using it as you would use an iPad seemed clunky and unnatural, but it was admittedly far better than the previous generations of Microsoft tablet edition devices.

The third strike was Windows 8. I found the Metro stuff incredibly useless. Granted, the first generation of Metro apps were by Microsoft's admission cobbled together by summer interns. But the final released versions didn't really raise the bar very much above what the interns had done. I still use Windows 8.1 for work purposes and have a VM of it on my iMac. I still find the Metro aspects of the OS only slightly little more useful than an interactive screen saver. I actually don't want a dumbed down version of a news site or a half baked maps application on my desktop.

In any case, I gave away the Surface prototype and its predecessor folding Windows tablet edition (Microsoft's first foray into PC hardware design) but I keep checking back to see if the newer Windows devices are any better. I am a gadget junky and used to build my own machines and still have a full time Windows 7 PC and a Linux box setup at home. I will always give credit where credit is due, and no company that I know of other than Microsoft has been able to get an OS running quite well on such a variety (and disparate levels of quality) of hardware devices on the planet. There are some things that Windows does pretty darn well, like device and hardware support. Getting there requires some compromises and having to run on so many el cheapo marginal platforms results in a somewhat geeky, boring, and generic operating system. Windows is still better than Linux for device and driver support. If Microsoft had concentrated on optimizing one OS for one device family then we'd be able to compare them to Apple. But Microsoft has always been about compromise and the Surface carries on with that tradition.

I still wonder what the hell Microsoft is doing with the huge army of engineers they have at their disposal. Personally I hope they are reinventing Microsoft Office because other than Excel it's as horrible today as it was in 1992.
  • Reply 119 of 288
    Yep, thanks to Microsoft.  That's a positive for MS and Windows.

Microsoft has FK all to do with it. It's because Apple uses the intel processor. The irony is that Windows runs better on a Mac. Go figure!

I'm sure MSFT planned it that way. /s
  • Reply 120 of 288
    In the consumer world that what it seems like.  In the enterprise and cloud they are dominant and worthy of it.

Hey Sammy, wake up and stop trolling! Your BS is so transparent. The iPhone and iPad are dominant in the enterprise in their respective categories. For good reason. So go troll somewhere else.