Apple suppliers reportedly start production of next-gen iPad Air with anti-reflective coating

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Ahead of an expected special event in September, Apple suppliers are supposedly ramping up manufacturing of both 9.7-inch and 7.9-inch iPad models, with the larger version expected to debut as soon as this quarter.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Bloomberg reports Apple's partner suppliers in Asia have started mass production of the next-generation 9.7-inch iPad, while a new iPad mini version enters early stages of assembly.

The larger version, thought to be a follow-up to Apple's iPad Air, should see launch by the end of the third quarter or early fourth quarter, sources said. Initial stock may be constrained, however, due to manufacturing issues related to the application of an anti-reflective screen coating, a new feature for Apple's tablet lineup. Previously, iOS device screen treatments have been limited to oleophobic, or fingerprint-resistant, coatings.

As for the iPad mini, not much was offered in the way of new information aside from claims that the tablet is also entering production and should hit store shelves by the end of the year.

The next-gen iPads are expected to be a revision of current hardware, with the most notable change being the inclusion of Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Aside from the reported anti-refelective coating, the iPad should get the usual performance upgrades and minor design tweaks consistent with an annual product refresh.

Most recently, photos of a "leaked" chassis supposedly bound for the "iPad Air 2" showed off recessed volume control buttons and a revamped speaker grille layout.

While the exact launch dates are unknown, Apple is rumored to be planning a special media event for Sept. 9, which is expected to focus on the next iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Starting production right now would be good for a September launch. I'm a bit excited and are hoping that Apple upgrades the device properly to convince me to upgrade. As it is even my iPad 3 is running better with iOS 8.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Although I'm purchasing them myself, it seems Christmas is coming early what with a new iPad Air to replace original iPad 3G and iPhone 6, to replace, well, nothing - this will be my first iPhone, and both with iOS 8 "under the tree" plus Yosemite for my iMac to enjoy 'Continuity'. What a time it is to be an Apple Fan!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    It really is crazy that Apple has no non-glossy products in their entire lineup. All of the iOS devices are completely unusable in bright sunlight. I tried to use my iPhone as a bike computer with the Stava app. The app is great, but I cannot see the screen of the phone mounted on the handlebars if there's any appreciable level of sunshine. I get it that some people like the glossy screens, but non-glossy ones should at least be a BTO option.

The thing I worry about is this "anti-reflective coating". Coatings wear off, often in uneven ways that make the device look worn out and ratty. Make a screen that isn't glossy to begin with.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So does Apple think iPad mini owners don't read?
  • Reply 5 of 35
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Starting production right now would be good for a September launch. I'm a bit excited and are hoping that Apple upgrades the device properly to convince me to upgrade. As it is even my iPad 3 is running better with iOS 8.
    Hardly, iPhone production started in June/July, and if I'm correct it is 90% of production threw September so it could easily be august.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

All of the iOS devices are completely unusable in bright sunlight.

Well, no, but…

• Reply 7 of 35
    If the new iPads don't have at least 2GB RAM I'll save my money and stick with the Air. Very sick of the constant tab reloads in Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

It really is crazy that Apple has no non-glossy products in their entire lineup. All of the iOS devices are completely unusable in bright sunlight. I tried to use my iPhone as a bike computer with the Stava app. The app is great, but I cannot see the screen of the phone mounted on the handlebars if there's any appreciable level of sunshine. I get it that some people like the glossy screens, but non-glossy ones should at least be a BTO option.

The thing I worry about is this "anti-reflective coating". Coatings wear off, often in uneven ways that make the device look worn out and ratty. Make a screen that isn't glossy to begin with.

The solution to your problem using an iPhone in bright sunlight is to increase the brightness to full.

Problem solved! That was easy.

• Reply 9 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All of the iOS devices are completely unusable in bright sunlight.

Well, no, but…

Perhaps not completely, but substantially, depending on the application. In his description, the device is mounted to the handlebars of his bike so he can't easily tilt or adjust the device to not have reflections. If you think about how it might be oriented on a handle bar, it would be generally facing upward and during midday, a common time of the day for bike riding, it would be facing the sun a good deal of the time. I'm not sure that any anti-reflective coating would help in his case but I can certainly understand the problem from his perspective.

I just went outside. It is cloudy around 5 PM and I could easily recreate the scenario I described above where nothing but the reflected clouds was visible on the screen even with the brightness set to maximum.

• Reply 10 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If the new iPads don't have at least 2GB RAM I'll save my money and stick with the Air. Very sick of the constant tab reloads in Safari.

I should think that 2 gigs on the iPad 6 and iPhone 8 is guaranteed.

I should also think that more than 2 gigs is guaranteed not to happen. Not until… Marvin, when was it that the new RAM that can selectively power only what is in use is slated to hit mass production? I can’t remember anything.

• Reply 11 of 35
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

The thing I worry about is this "anti-reflective coating". Coatings wear off, often in uneven ways that make the device look worn out and ratty.

Are you serious??

Did you build a time machine and go back to 1993?

• Reply 12 of 35
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Although I'm purchasing them myself, it seems Christmas is coming early what with a new iPad Air to replace original iPad 3G and iPhone 6, to replace, well, nothing - this will be my first iPhone, and both with iOS 8 "under the tree" plus Yosemite for my iMac to enjoy 'Continuity'. What a time it is to be an Apple Fan!

Good to see your addiction to Apple being weaned!
  • Reply 13 of 35
    rogifan wrote: »

Almost as sick as we are of hearing of them.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Isn't it so obvious that a 5.5" iPhone 6 is coming? /s
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Almost as sick as we are of hearing of them.
    I'd love to know what iPad you have that doesn't have this issue. :wow:
  • Reply 16 of 35

I should think that 2 gigs on the iPad 6 and iPhone 8 is guaranteed.

I should also think that more than 2 gigs is guaranteed not to happen. Not until… Marvin, when was it that the new RAM that can selectively power only what is in use is slated to hit mass production? I can’t remember anything.
    I'll take anything that makes Safari a better experience on the iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'll take anything that makes Safari a better experience on the iPad.

IOS 8 helps a lot! Safari does have more than a few bugs in beta though.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Absolutely.  I'll grab an iPad Air (hopefully with Touch ID) to replace my iPad 3rd gen (first Retina model) handing that one off to a family member.  And I'll take one of those 4.7" iPhones, selling on my iPhone 5 64GB.  And my MacBook Air is the late 2010 model, so its time for a new one, but I've been waiting for a retina display model to come available.  Hopefully get my wish there too.  I also would like to see a new AppleTV.  I don't own one and have waited to see what the next one will offer.  Updated my iPod Nano to the new generation this spring.  And I'll look hard at the iWatch when that arrives.  That should about set me for another year.  LOL!

• Reply 19 of 35
    wizard69 wrote: »
    IOS 8 helps a lot! Safari does have more than a few bugs in beta though.
    Ooh I like hearing that. Just today I was trying to view the new Your Verse and on Apple's website and Safari kept crashing. So frustrating.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Are you serious??

Did you build a time machine and go back to 1993?

Don't be ignorant. Most luxury watches feature AR coating. It's common for it to wear so some manufacturers only coat the INSIDE of the glass.