Rev. Jesse Jackson & Rainbow PUSH Coalition praise Apple for releasing detailed workforce diversity

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That is a FACT.

lolno.

• Reply 42 of 98

So has Rainbow Push released their diversity numbers? Do they have enough whites to be considered diverse? Inquiring minds want to know.

What are they doing about promoting IT training to minority youth and careers in the IT field? If there are few minorities graduating in these fields, how do you expect employers to increase the percentage of minority workers?

Ah well, once we're all bodiless entities living inside a computer/robot and we have no race, gender, religion, etc, everything should be great.

• Reply 43 of 98
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'll agree with you there. I was and still am 100% behind Ron Paul. I wish more Americans were then we wouldn't be in the shithole we are now.

I like Ron Paul, too.  At the time I thought some of his foreign policies were...odd...but now look at where we are.  He isn't as nuts as a few people in the media like to portray him to be.

• Reply 44 of 98
    Don't no why the Latin population or still being view as minorities but that's for another post. Despite Jesse track record which I find irrelevant, his push is a step in a good direction. There is a logical reason why the technology sector is not diverse. To change this we must address root issues that have long been ignored and not get entangled with "white man" this or that. No technology firm should hire people based on their color or ethnicity while overlooking talent or the lack thereof.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Large companies live and die internally on politics. The nice thing about Jobs was he instilled enough internal fear in the organization that no one felt safe in their job.
    The biggest complaint was work/life balance; that you're basically on call 24/7. I wonder what Cook is doing about that.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The biggest complaint was work/life balance; that you're basically on call 24/7. I wonder what Cook is doing about that.

I don't see that as a problem, to be honest. If a person is in an upper level position, they are on call 24/7. If they don't like it, they shouldn't take the position. If you own your own business, you are on call 24/7 also. 

• Reply 47 of 98
    Yes ur right. With a dominant white male workforce. Of course there is a reason for that and it's not racially motivated as some on this thread are going to assume, but the availability of talent. Consider the school systems in suburban and urban communities and you will see the connection with race and ethnicity. It's only logical if u have as a result particular groups dominating particular fields. (I.E. MEDICAL)
  • Reply 48 of 98
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I seen some comment is other threads along this line, You can not hire someone no mater what their background is if they do not exist.

I been part of organizations who were trying to diversify for very good reason since different people from different background can bring ideas which a homogeneous group may fail at seeing. I can tell you ever single time they fail to achieve their goal. It was not because they did not try hard, they did. They even went into the communities which they were trying to hire from and promote getting the necessary skills to make them marketable. These people are not interested in being Techie, engineering scientists and so on.

In the end they still failed and Apple is destine to do the same in spite of what Cook will like to see happen. The reason is you can not hire what does not exist. People who work for Tech Companies have set of skills which not everyone in the world possess. You have to be good in math and science and most people are not good at this so it leaves a very small group of people who excel in this space. Then you have every tech company in world looking to hire that same group of people and thus the reason they get paid so well.

For the very few minorities who happen to fit the bill, they end up getting over paid since they have 10 or more companies all trying to hire them to meet these goals. in the end 9 companies fail to hire the person and the company that wins has and over price worker which they eventually figure out and find a way to get rid of them.

I agree every person should have ever opportunity to get the best job, but saying that every company should minor society is unrealistic, since some company do not match society in their make up and Apple is one of them. To say they could hire them in their stores is stupid, would you want someone waiting on you who have no clue or does not understand technologies when you have technical question. My experience with apple store people is they know their stuff and they are not their to just process your order, like someone at McDonald's.

• Reply 49 of 98
    LOL! Don't know where that came from but it is something to consider. Had he been black growing up in south central or Compton I don't think he would have been in a garage building computers. Not impossible but highly unlikely.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I'm going to apply at apple now. 

• Reply 51 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't see that as a problem, to be honest. If a person is in an upper level position, they are on call 24/7. If they don't like it, they shouldn't take the position. If you own your own business, you are on call 24/7 also. 

Agreed. I pretty much expect to be in a situation where I could be called to work at anytime. That's standard. If I need to get something done. I just want to be able to get it done even if it means staying late to meet a deadline or something. It's part of the job IMO.

• Reply 52 of 98
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have no idea if these were upper level positions or not.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'll agree with you there. I was and still am 100% behind Ron Paul. I wish more Americans were then we wouldn't be in the shithole we are now.

Nope. I considered Ron Paul in 2004 but his economic policies made no sense upon further study of The Great Depression. I agreed with Ron Paul's foreign policy but disagree with him on economic, women's health issues and other civil rights issues. I think the government does have a place as it relates to protecting the people from big business etc... I think Ron Paul is too much theory and not enough reality which is why many see him as a cook. Young people are drawn to him but I'm not exactly sure why they are drawn to him tbqh. Much of his theories have been tried before and failed spectacularly with the exception of his measured foreign policy ideas. What Ron Paul does not seem to understand is that lower taxes and no government/regulation does not necessarily a great economy make. 

Take California and Kansas for instance. California raised taxes to pay for the things they need and their economy improved. Kansas cut taxes and cut the things they need and their economy tanked. Government regulation exists to help out businesses not hurt them. Sure some of the regulations might be ideal. However, he argues that regulation as a whole and government as a whole is bad and that is as much a part of the reason we are in a "shithole" as we are in as anything else one might point to. Economics is complex. It's not some simple crap about no government and low taxes will somehow magically make the economy improve. That has never happened. The Economy/Businesses need the government regulations. We saw what happens when there is too lax regulation in 2008. Bill Clinton signed a bank deregulation bill he shouldn't have and now we have 2008 8 years after he's left office. 

The government's job is to first protect the rights and liberties of the people. Everything else is secondary to that goal. Business goals are not always in line with the government's job protect the rights and liberties of the people.

• Reply 54 of 98
    As an "African American", I too do not agree with all of Jackson's tactics but we shouldn't lose the importance of the message. We have an imbalance of diversity in the U.S. when it comes to privilege. I understand how "European Americans" may not see it, but tell me what it feels like to be a kid and 98% of your superheroes look nothing like you, or 98% of the most beautiful people in the world look nothing like you, or 98% of your senators look nothing like you. Can this damaging to your self value? So yes, talent should be the driving force in selecting people for IT positions but when you live in a country where as a "minority" (13%), 50% of the people that are incarcerated do look like you, you wonder if the system is actually working against you to achieve the "American Dream" to include being able to work for a celebrated company like Apple.
  • Reply 55 of 98

LOL... When Jesse Jackson is for you... you know you're doing it wrong.

• Reply 56 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Nope. I considered Ron Paul in 2004 but his economic policies made no sense upon further study of The Great Depression. I agreed with Ron Paul's foreign policy but disagree with him on economic, women's health issues and other civil rights issues. I think the government does have a place as it relates to protecting the people from big business etc... I think Ron Paul is too much theory and not enough reality which is why many see him as a cook. Young people are drawn to him but I'm not exactly sure why they are drawn to him tbqh. Much of his theories have been tried before and failed spectacularly with the exception of his measured foreign policy ideas. What Ron Paul does not seem to understand is that lower taxes and no government/regulation does not necessarily a great economy make. 

Take California and Kansas for instance. California raised taxes to pay for the things they need and their economy improved. Kansas cut taxes and cut the things they need and their economy tanked. Government regulation exists to help out businesses not hurt them. Sure some of the regulations might be ideal. However, he argues that regulation as a whole and government as a whole is bad and that is as much a part of the reason we are in a "shithole" as we are in as anything else one might point to. Economics is complex. It's not some simple crap about no government and low taxes will somehow magically make the economy improve. That has never happened. The Economy/Businesses need the government regulations. We saw what happens when there is too lax regulation in 2008. Bill Clinton signed a bank deregulation bill he shouldn't have and now we have 2008 8 years after he's left office. 

The government's job is to first protect the rights and liberties of the people. Everything else is secondary to that goal. Business goals are not always in line with the government's job protect the rights and liberties of the people.

It would take more time than I am willing to take to tear your arguments apart, but I'll relate that nearly every bias expressed here against Ron Paul is wrong to one degree or another. The positions you've related are based on media spin against him and have nothing to do with his actual positions.

• Reply 57 of 98

I can't believe the kind of uproar this diversity report is causing on this website.  Are you kidding me?

1.  No company is putting diversity above talent if they want to be competitive.  No where did Cook say that they are considering less talented minorities for jobs in the name of diversity.  

2.  I am a hiring manager of a tech company and we are similarly conscious about our workforce's diversity.  There are goals for diversity that the company set for ourselves.  But every hiring manager understands that you only make a hiring that improves on diversity when it doesn't compromise the talent.  Yes my company has a big majority of white males but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for diversity.  

It's true that besides encouraging diversity through the hiring process, companies should also work at the root of the problem and promote more diversity in engineering programs.  My company holds events to encourage greater participation of minorities and women in engineering.  

What Apple is doing will only improves on its branding.  When you are the #1 company in the world, these are the kind of things you need to do to improve your brand.  So Apple is not only synonymous with quality hardware/software but is also admired as a green company with great diversity and etc.  It gives people more reasons to admire the company and buy the products.  When it was near the brink of bankruptcy in the 90s, it doesn't need to worry about such things because it has other more immediate problems.  Tim is a great CEO because he is improving Apple in various facets simultaneously.  Steve Jobs was the perfect CEO to get Apple to become the #1 company in the world but I think Tim Cook is the perfect CEO to keep it there.  

• Reply 58 of 98
    how about releasing diversity data for online bloggers, LOL!
  • Reply 59 of 98
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quanster View Post

I can't believe the kind of uproar this diversity report is causing on this website.  Are you kidding me?

1.  No company is putting diversity above talent if they want to be competitive.  No where did Cook say that they are considering less talented minorities for jobs in the name of diversity.  

2.  I am a hiring manager of a tech company and we are similarly conscious about our workforce's diversity.  There are goals for diversity that the company set for ourselves.  But every hiring manager understands that you only make a hiring that improves on diversity when it doesn't compromise the talent.  Yes my company has a big majority of white males but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for diversity.  

It's true that besides encouraging diversity through the hiring process, companies should also work at the root of the problem and promote more diversity in engineering programs.  My company holds events to encourage greater participation of minorities and women in engineering.  

What Apple is doing will only improves on its branding.  When you are the #1 company in the world, these are the kind of things you need to do to improve your brand.  So Apple is not only synonymous with quality hardware/software but is also admired as a green company with great diversity and etc.  It gives people more reasons to admire the company and buy the products.  When it was near the brink of bankruptcy in the 90s, it doesn't need to worry about such things because it has other more immediate problems.  Tim is a great CEO because he is improving Apple in various facets simultaneously.  Steve Jobs was the perfect CEO to get Apple to become the #1 company in the world but I think Tim Cook is the perfect CEO to keep it there.  

At last sanity.

• Reply 60 of 98
    Originally Posted by quanster View Post

No where did Cook say that they are considering less talented minorities for jobs in the name of diversity.  

What else would you consider “I’m not satisfied with the numbers” to mean?

There are goals for diversity that the company set for ourselves.  

Why.