Apple suppliers reportedly start production of next-gen iPad Air with anti-reflective coating

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

It really is crazy that Apple has no non-glossy products in their entire lineup. All of the iOS devices are completely unusable in bright sunlight. I tried to use my iPhone as a bike computer with the Stava app. The app is great, but I cannot see the screen of the phone mounted on the handlebars if there's any appreciable level of sunshine. I get it that some people like the glossy screens, but non-glossy ones should at least be a BTO option.

The thing I worry about is this "anti-reflective coating". Coatings wear off, often in uneven ways that make the device look worn out and ratty. Make a screen that isn't glossy to begin with.

And that's why I own a Kindle - so I can read at the beach, poolside or in a park. :D

• Reply 22 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Don't be ignorant. Most luxury watches feature AR coating. It's common for it to wear so some manufacturers only coat the INSIDE of the glass.

hmmm....HMMMMMM!!!!!
  • Reply 23 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The solution to your problem using an iPhone in bright sunlight is to increase the brightness to full.

Problem solved! That was easy.

When I installed iOS7 on my iPhone 4 and adjusted the background color,

suddenly I could see it fairly well in bright summer sunshine.

• Reply 24 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

It really is crazy that Apple has no non-glossy products in their entire lineup. All of the iOS devices are completely unusable in bright sunlight. I tried to use my iPhone as a bike computer with the Stava app. The app is great, but I cannot see the screen of the phone mounted on the handlebars if there's any appreciable level of sunshine. I get it that some people like the glossy screens, but non-glossy ones should at least be a BTO option.

The thing I worry about is this "anti-reflective coating". Coatings wear off, often in uneven ways that make the device look worn out and ratty. Make a screen that isn't glossy to begin with.

The screen protector I installed on my iPhone 4, when I got it 3.5 yrs back, does a good job of taming reflections.

• Reply 25 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    You should be thankful Apple hasn't upped the ram to 2GB so far. Once they get around to it the OS and apps will start using more ram, and your lovely iPad 2 etc. will suddenly be unable to do its job. Of course, then the same people whinging about ram will be whinging about planned obsolescence.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    I%u2019m really excited about the new iPad Air 2 coming out.%u2028Especially after all the articles I%u2019ve read about the features it%u2019s going to%u2028 have and I better sell my old iPad before the value of it drops. I just read an article on a company called RecomHub, they compare 11-13 of the buyback companies and shows you what price they will give you when you sell.

It%u2019s like Kayak but for electronic devices that show you all the%u2028offers in one spot.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I think you are worrying needlessly. I'm sure they will have tested it simulating several years of heavy usage. The coatings are pretty durable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Are you serious??

Did you build a time machine and go back to 1993?

Actually they are using the same vapor deposition processes since the 1940s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Don't be ignorant. Most luxury watches feature AR coating. It's common for it to wear so some manufacturers only coat the INSIDE of the glass.

I don't know why you would put a coating on the inside. It would not work. The light is coming from the outside. The idea of anti-reflective coating is to disrupt the light waves before they reach the surface of the glass. To do that the coating needs to be on the outside.

• Reply 28 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

It really is crazy that Apple has no non-glossy products in their entire lineup.

Fit a anti reflective screen protector.

• Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Almost as sick as we are of hearing of them.

I'd love to know what iPad you have that doesn't have this issue. image

Every iPad that I've owned. I normally have one tab open at a time, so I don't encounter your problem.

Try improving your browsing habits.

• Reply 30 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I normally have one tab open at a time, so I dont encounter your problem. Try improving your browsing habits.

Oh, come on. A single tab isn’t an improvement. Every single tab reloads when switching to another on my first gen, but I would still want the nice feature in post iOS 5 where tabs that can’t be shown on the screen remain open.

Hitting nine tabs and having the tenth push the first out of existence was a horrible idea.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I normally have one tab open at a time, so I dont encounter your problem. Try improving your browsing habits.

Oh, come on. A single tab isn’t an improvement. Every single tab reloads when switching to another on my first gen, but I would still want the nice feature in post iOS 5 where tabs that can’t be shown on the screen remain open.

Hitting nine tabs and having the tenth push the first out of existence was a horrible idea.

I'm sure you have good reasons for having multiple tabs open, but I hardly ever do. In the days of slow internet, it was useful to have lots of tabs whilst you waited for other pages to load, but I don't see the point with speedy internet. Seems like a throwback to a bygone age. 

On the other hand, I hate apps that throw you back to the home page when you multitask; that really is annoying.

• Reply 32 of 35
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

No kidding.

It was worth the extra money to buy a 15" or 17" MacBook Pro with an antiglare screen when it was available, I always strongly encouraged my clients to spend the extra.  But that no longer exists, Apple killed it when they killed the real MacBook Pros.

It's insane.  I'm always having to move my computer or my head to get the screen adjusted just right to avoid looking at lights behind me.  And there's no reason for it, glossy displays are crap, and shouldn't have even been an option, let alone the default.

• Reply 33 of 35
    darkvader wrote: »
    bsenka wrote: »

No kidding.

It was worth the extra money to buy a 15" or 17" MacBook Pro with an antiglare screen when it was available, I always strongly encouraged my clients to spend the extra.  But that no longer exists, Apple killed it when they killed the real MacBook Pros.

It's insane.  I'm always having to move my computer or my head to get the screen adjusted just right to avoid looking at lights behind me.  And there's no reason for it, glossy displays are crap, and shouldn't have even been an option, let alone the default.

Try not having lights positioned that are reflected in the screen. Problem solved.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Guess I read it at Anandtech, that ios can't use A7's full capacity because it runs out of RAM and that if 5s had more RAM, not only it'd do better multitasking, but would had better CPU performance as well. (Imagine A7 is even more powerful than we think!) So prolly having 2GB RAM at next iDevices sounds like a fair bet, or am I wrong?

• Reply 35 of 35
    truetrue Posts: 4member
    Quote:

I'm sure you have good reasons for having multiple tabs open, but I hardly ever do. In the days of slow internet, it was useful to have lots of tabs whilst you waited for other pages to load, but I don't see the point with speedy internet. Seems like a throwback to a bygone age. 

On the other hand, I hate apps that throw you back to the home page when you multitask; that really is annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The solution to your problem using an iPhone in bright sunlight is to increase the brightness to full.

Problem solved! That was easy.

No, that was stupid. It's still harmfull for your eyes. Unless you wear anti-reflective glasses.