Apple ignores calls to fix 2011 MacBook Pro failures as problem grows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hope Apple takes responsibility of this because a Mac dying in a few years thus requiring a replacement board that then fails again is not a solution. I know several people with this issue and it's ?$500 to fix.
    There's your problem; they put the chip in at a 45° angle¡

PS: [@]bitzandbitez[/@], Pro Tip: You can edit your posts.

EDIT: Sorry wasn't intending to step on the joke ... good one.

Seriously though ... My 2010 15" MBP i7 had the identical issue weeks before the extended warranty expired. I was fortunate to deal with the online tech support team out if Texas who replaced the motherboard. The MBP, now with an SSD running Mavericks is still runing likes champ. This was never an Apple hardware issue in my case, it was Nvidia's problem.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Planned Obsolescence?

It's bad enough when the OS can't be updated and apps such as iTunes aren't backward compatible- now this?

• Reply 23 of 180
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    I'm glad to see this report. I am also having graphics problems with my early 2011 MacBook Pro. It is not showing up on the inbuilt screen, but on an external Samsung screen connected via the thunderbolt port.

It mostly works OK, but there seems to be a particular shade of blue that sends the external screen crazy (File selection background in Finder). I thought it might either be another faulty connector (I already replaced that about 18 months ago). Or maybe it could be fixed by a firmware upgrade - sometimes firmware can get around hardware problems.

Here are some configuration details:

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
    Serial Number C02FC07TDF91

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6741
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
    gMux Version: 1.9.23
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    SyncMaster:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Display Serial Number: H9FS709370
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Television: Yes

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 10
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x0126
    Revision ID: 0x0009
    gMux Version: 1.9.23

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
    Device Name: MacBook Pro
    UID: 0x0001000A1CA0F5A0
    Firmware Version: 22.1
    Domain UUID: BD79F03A-6DB1-FD5A-BC73-CA2BBD039449
    Port:
    Link Status: 0x101
    Receptacle: 1
    Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3
  • Reply 24 of 180
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member

Is this headline designed to get clicks? Since when has Apple officially "ignored" calls? It may be that they are still evaluating the situation and working out a plan? AppleInsider, I'm disappointed by your click-baiting here. You've drawn a conclusion without much basis.

• Reply 25 of 180
    The repair for my Macbook Pro 17-inch Early 2011 was actually[B] VERY CHEAP.[/B]

When my Macbook Pro's GPU failed after 3 years, and after the expiration of my Applecare warranty, I took my Macbook Pro to my Apple Store and after having the Genius examine it, I asked for Apple's $299 FLAT-RATE REPAIR.

Apple's $299 FLAT-RATE REPAIR is a HUGE BARGAIN - particularly for an out of warranty Mac.

The Apple Store ships it to one of Apple's main repair centers. There they examine the Mac in detail. And they will replace ANYTHING in it that is not up to spec.

For my Macbook Pro 17-inch Early 2011, Apple:
    1. Replaced the motherboard with a new motherboard - with a new GPU
    2. Replaced the entire HD LCD Screen with a pristine brand new one with new aluminium cover.
    3. Replace the PCI ExpressCard cage with a new one
    4. Found my OW Computing 16 GB RAM not up to spec (since Apple only officially supports 8 GB RAM for this model) so they took out my OW Computing RAM and placed it in an electrostatic envelope. Then the replaced it with Apple 8 GB RAM. And they returned the OW Computing RAM to me. Of course, I reinstalled the OW Computing RAM since I wanted and it works well with 16 GB RAM.

I got back my Macbook Pro in 4 days. It looks BRAND NEW. It works GREAT!

Note that I seriously doubt that Apple will do a recall for these Macbook Pro GPU failures. I think the vast majority of Macbook Pro 17 2011 continue to work without issues. Out of the 3 million Macbook Pro 17 2011s that were sold, only a tiny number of the Macs have the GPU problem.

Sure, these users are very vocal about their problem. After all, Apple users expect more. BUT they want Apple to rescue them rather than pay for an out of warranty repair. I read all the complaints. And it seems the ones who complain the most are the ones who are cheap and penny pinching. They want something for free. Yet they also purchased the most expensive computer - a Mac. [B] This crybaby sense of entitlement just grates me.[/B] [B]Real Apple users are never cheap or penny pinching. They only want the best computing experience. And they are willing and able to pay for it. [/B]

If you bought a car, it will only give you at most a 50,000 mile warranty. After that, any repair is YOURproblem. And for European cars like the BMW, those repairs are extremely expensive. This is why they are called enthusiasts cars. When you are an enthusiast, you don't complain about the cost. You only want the best driving experience. If you can't afford it, you wouldn't buy it in the first place - or you would get a better job or two to pay for it.

$299 is a CHEAP price to pay for a FLAT RATE major examination and overhaul of my Mac. Apple did more than just replace the motherboard, way more, over and above way more. I expect it to least another 3 years. I love it!
  • Reply 26 of 180

I know someone who had the GPU in his 2011 15" fail in less than two years. Apple is simply replacing it with the same part, so people will likely find themselves in the same situation again.

• Reply 27 of 180
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What??????

I’ve actually heard of this working for resoldering and such.

Nah.  Even if under the most magical conditions by the time a cold solder joint made a good connection under such a circumstance most of the other good solders would melt away, not to mention whatever else would melt and short out.

Now putting a clicking hard drive hard drive in the freezer, on the other hand...   :  )

• Reply 28 of 180

They should recognise this. Apple laptops are too expensive to fail within 2-3 years.... 

However, the iBook G4 had massive problems with a similar issue and Apple ignored this, meaning users had to pay $1500 for new logic boards. 

• Reply 29 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

A member of my family had a 2011 MacBook Pro.. It went in for repairs for various reasons over the years. Finally it gave out a month ago - they said it was the hard drive - they replaced it and assured her that would fix it..

Well -- she had to take the Calif. Bar exam on the Mac Pro like two weeks ago... The Mac crashed right in the middle of the test. She freaked ! She's not sure what will happen to her exam...

Meanwhile she went into an Apple Store here in Los Angeles. Her dad went with her. He was pissed she had the Mac in so many times for service and realistically it was never fixed.

He went to the store manager - reluctant at first - the manager looked at the history of the repairs - then finally concluded she'd refund the purchase price - so they got $1100 back on a three year old laptop.

She right away used that money to buy a brand new MacPro and paid the price difference... Then the manager said she'd give her free Apple care for 3 years to make up the cash difference she had to pay out of pocket..

Ok - I agree it's a bit obvious there is something grossly wrong with some of those Macs... Should a replacement program be offered ? Maybe. Why? Depends on the reasons.

But.... Name one other company that would completely refund your money THREE YEARS later...

While Apple is not perfect in every possible way let's face it - for some of us - they have come thru in the end - bottom line.

Unfortunately that does not apply to where I live where there are no Apple stores.

• Reply 30 of 180
    I have a 2008 and two 2011 MacBook Pro in my household. The 2008 had three repairs before they fixed the Graphic issues. Both 2011 MacBooks have had their motherboards replaced with graphic issues . I have had AppleCare, but you wonder how long are they going to last. The 2010 and 2012 MacBooks have been solid. This is a well known problem from Nvidia using the wrong compound for their solder balls. NVidia should man up and take care of the issues they have created. All semiconductor companies experienced these issues years ago and fixed them long ago.
  • Reply 31 of 180
    When you charge a premium price, people expect a lot more from your company. And truth be told, when you buy a MacBook Pro 15", you're probably paying enough for them to give you another for one for free.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

I'm glad to see this report. I am also having graphics problems with my early 2011 MacBook Pro. It is not showing up on the inbuilt screen, but on an external Samsung screen connected via the thunderbolt port.

<Insert Samsung bashing remark here>

• Reply 33 of 180

I have an early-2011 15" MBP and had the issue on several occasions.

I mostly run Windows as it is my work laptop, so I assumed it was something with faulty drivers. Then when the computer refused to boot, I took it to the service centre. Luckily it was under warranty, so they fixed it and I haven't seen the issue since.

But if it is widespread, I hope Apple does initiate a recall.

• Reply 34 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Is this headline designed to get clicks? Since when has Apple officially "ignored" calls? It may be that they are still evaluating the situation and working out a plan? AppleInsider, I'm disappointed by your click-baiting here. You've drawn a conclusion without much basis.

Use your google skills to do a search for FAILED MACBOOK PRO'S 2011 and see for yourself the APPLE DISCUSSION BOARDS ARE LIGHTING UP LIKE XMAS TREES and they are ignoring this issue its more than likely in the 1/2 a million users by now and they did this to me back in 2007 when i paid almost 2 grand for a 15" Macbook Pro only to have to take in into servicing like 25 times in a 3 year period and they kept blaming it on my software (I am an IT tech for 25 years) and I would reformat my hard drive and reinstall my OSX multiple times over to be certain it was the software and they wouldn't admit it until NVIDA was sued by APPLE and forced to give them a $200 million dollar charge off to cover the repairs and I am betting APPLE is waiting for the shoe to drop on AMD's ASS so they eat the cost as well.. we just suffer in the meantime..  

• Reply 35 of 180
    I am utterly disgusted by Apple's lack of action so far. I am one of the owner of the affected units of the Macbook Pro that I bought in 2011. It is now lay dead as a paperweight at my house as I was charged over $1,000 to replace the logic board. With that money for a repair, which many of you mention is not a solution to the problem, I rather buy a new Windows PC. To be honest, I do not mind that Apple did not do a recall of my Macbook Pro, as mine has actually run out of warranty. However, I would really like to see them getting active in this issue, maybe posting some ideas on how to repair it DIY style, or even acknowledge that this type of Macbook is indeed problematic and informing customers to beware of buying this model.
  • Reply 36 of 180
    I am utterly disgusted by Apple's lack of action so far. I am one of the owner of the affected units of the Macbook Pro that I bought in 2011. It is now lay dead as a paperweight at my house as I was charged over $1,000 to replace the logic board. With that money for a repair, which many of you mention is not a solution to the problem, I rather buy a new Windows PC. To be honest, I do not mind that Apple did not do a recall of my Macbook Pro, as mine has actually run out of warranty. However, I would really like to see them getting active in this issue, maybe posting some ideas on how to repair it DIY style, or even acknowledge that this type of Macbook is indeed problematic and informing customers to beware of buying this model.
  • Reply 37 of 180

I am utterly disgusted by Apple's lack of action so far. I am one of the owner of the affected units of the Macbook Pro that I bought in 2011. It is now lay dead as a paperweight at my house as I was charged over $1,000 to replace the logic board. With that money for a repair, which many of you mention is not a solution to the problem, I rather buy a new Windows PC. To be honest, I do not mind that Apple did not do a recall of my Macbook Pro, as mine has actually run out of warranty. However, I would really like to see them getting active in this issue, maybe posting some ideas on how to repair it DIY style, or even acknowledge that this type of Macbook is indeed problematic and informing customers to be cautious of buying this model. 

• Reply 38 of 180
    goehgoeh Posts: 1member
    I'm a self-employed iOS and web developer. I bought my late 2011 MBP for over $3000 in December 2011. It worked without major problems until last week. It started as gfx glitches as shown by many screen shots. Then last Friday it did not boot at all with blue banding on the external display.

I payed extra for Apple Care and I'm a registered (paying) iOS developer. I pay extra for iCloud storage. I own several Apple devices. What pisses me off is that despite being a business customer/partner and an ambassador for Apple I did not get *any* benefits at the Apple Store. All slots were booked (by teens with smashed iPhone displays or Facebook problems). They first recommended me to come back another day. But I insisted and waited/hoped for a cancelled time slot. And after just 30 minutes I got help.

But the logic board was not in stock so the repair would take 5-7 days. This is a disaster for my business! I'm loosing money every hour. I thought Apple Care would help here and reduce the down time, but the only thing it gave me was free repair. That's ok but I expected a little more.

The Apple Store guy gave me an "Apple Joint Venture" folder and told me next time I buy a computer I should pay even more to get benefits like free backup computer while waiting for repair. I went home from the Apple Store very disappointed.

But I felt better later that day when I managed to restore the backup on a spare Mac Mini, so I only lost a day. I'm now up to (reduced) speed again and coding iOS and web apps almost like before the crash. But I really miss my MBP and I hope I will get it back soon.

Lessons learned: Keep a spare Mac available and make sure your backups are current. It's very easy to restore the backup onto a new computer.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I got through 3 of those bastard machines with the same problem. I was furious with Apple. They denied ever encountering the issue and said "As you have broken 3 of them, it's likely something you are doing" Grrrr
  • Reply 40 of 180

In the absence of any real numbers as to how many MBPs are affected, I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt that the issue is still being evaluated. In light of what else is going on, this may not be Apple's highest priority right now. I also figure that there is no other computer manufacturer on the planet who would even consider replacing three year old computers, manufacturing error or not. Still, I hope Apple does the right thing* for the owners of affected MBPs.

* Note to TS: I define "right thing" as repair, replace, or credit towards purchase of a new device.