Apple ignores calls to fix 2011 MacBook Pro failures as problem grows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    this is a bunch of BULLSHYT!!!! APPLE WELL DAMN KNOWS HOW MANY OF US ARE AFFECTED!!!
    ITS CALLED A DATABASE QUERY and the "GENIUSES" can easily search this criteria and assemble a concrete list of these machines.. COME ON TIM COOK I am now including APPLE in the DELL, HP, COMPAQ HEAP!!! their old admirable gloss of being the BEST is no longer applicable.. WE NEED A CLASS ACTION SUIT!!! my machine has had the motherboard replaced 2x twice and i am now out of my 3 year APPLE-I-DONT-CARE anymore warranty%u2026

THIS SUCKS AND NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED!!! COME ON APPLE INSTEAD OF PAYING YOUR SHAREHOLDERS 3.6 BILLION back how about taking care of your hardcore base I have been advising my clients for 25 plus years that APPLE IS THE BEST AND ONLY BUY APPLE .. but not anymore -- you have now entered the DELL UNIVERSE and are just a cheap clone of yourself..

I can see you have a caps lock keyboard problem too.

I'm typing this on a first-generation Intel CPU MBP... 2005 I think??? It just won't stop working... Great product. I'd recommend.
  • Reply 42 of 180
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    The repair for my Macbook Pro 17-inch Early 2011 was actually VERY CHEAP.

When my Macbook Pro's GPU failed after 3 years, and after the expiration of my Applecare warranty, I took my Macbook Pro to my Apple Store and after having the Genius examine it, I asked for Apple's $299 FLAT-RATE REPAIR.

Apple's $299 FLAT-RATE REPAIR is a HUGE BARGAIN - particularly for an out of warranty Mac.

The Apple Store ships it to one of Apple's main repair centers. There they examine the Mac in detail. And they will replace ANYTHING in it that is not up to spec.

How far back will Apple go with this great deal? For some reason I've never heard of it and Steve Jobs always used to call me with what was going on...
  • Reply 43 of 180
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    jwoodbass wrote: »
    I must have lucked out, no issues with my early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" to date.

The 13" models don't have a dedicated GPU so aren't affected. The 15" models have integrated graphics too so Apple might be able to disable the GPU by either a hardware or software fix but the fact they haven't so far suggests that might not be an option.
    coolfactor wrote:
    Since when has Apple officially "ignored" calls? It may be that they are still evaluating the situation and working out a plan?

They've been denying repairs to people affected. The people affected can't just wait months for Apple to decide to repair their machines.
    semi_guy wrote:
    This is a well known problem from Nvidia using the wrong compound for their solder balls. NVidia should man up and take care of the issues they have created.

The 2011 models use AMD graphics and NVidia/AMD don't solder the chips to the board.
  • Reply 44 of 180
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

This is definitely happening, and Apple need to protect their brand by admitting it.

• Reply 45 of 180

When my Macbook Pro's GPU failed after 3 years, and after the expiration of my Applecare warranty, I took my Macbook Pro to my Apple Store and after having the Genius examine it, I asked for Apple's $299 FLAT-RATE REPAIR.

Apple's $299 FLAT-RATE REPAIR is a HUGE BARGAIN - particularly for an out of warranty Mac.

The Apple Store ships it to one of Apple's main repair centers. There they examine the Mac in detail. And they will replace ANYTHING in it that is not up to spec.

For my Macbook Pro 17-inch Early 2011, Apple:
    1. Replaced the motherboard with a new motherboard - with a new GPU
    2. Replaced the entire HD LCD Screen with a pristine brand new one with new aluminium cover.
    3. Replace the PCI ExpressCard cage with a new one
    4. Found my OW Computing 16 GB RAM not up to spec (since Apple only officially supports 8 GB RAM for this model) so they took out my OW Computing RAM and placed it in an electrostatic envelope. Then the replaced it with Apple 8 GB RAM. And they returned the OW Computing RAM to me. Of course, I reinstalled the OW Computing RAM since I wanted and it works well with 16 GB RAM.

I got back my Macbook Pro in 4 days. It looks BRAND NEW. It works GREAT!

Note that I seriously doubt that Apple will do a recall for these Macbook Pro GPU failures. I think the vast majority of Macbook Pro 17 2011 continue to work without issues. Out of the 3 million Macbook Pro 17 2011s that were sold, only a tiny number of the Macs have the GPU problem.

Sure, these users are very vocal about their problem. After all, Apple users expect more. BUT they want Apple to rescue them rather than pay for an out of warranty repair. I read all the complaints. And it seems the ones who complain the most are the ones who are cheap and penny pinching. They want something for free. Yet they also purchased the most expensive computer - a Mac. This crybaby sense of entitlement just grates me. Real Apple users are never cheap or penny pinching. They only want the best computing experience. And they are willing and able to pay for it.

If you bought a car, it will only give you at most a 50,000 mile warranty. After that, any repair is YOURproblem. And for European cars like the BMW, those repairs are extremely expensive. This is why they are called enthusiasts cars. When you are an enthusiast, you don't complain about the cost. You only want the best driving experience. If you can't afford it, you wouldn't buy it in the first place - or you would get a better job or two to pay for it.

$299 is a CHEAP price to pay for a FLAT RATE major examination and overhaul of my Mac. Apple did more than just replace the motherboard, way more, over and above way more. I expect it to least another 3 years. I love it!
  • Reply 46 of 180
    Hello,

It is no coincidence that after those MacBook Pro Apple stopped using ATI graphics.

It seems that the only solution is a collective complaint and wait for the justice.

Regards.
  • Reply 47 of 180

Hello,

It is no coincidence that after those MacBook Pro Apple stopped using ATI graphics.

It seems that the only solution is a collective complaint and wait for the justice.

Regards.

• Reply 48 of 180

For my Macbook Pro 17-inch Early 2011, Apple:
    1. Replaced the motherboard with a new motherboard - with a new GPU
    2. Replaced the entire HD LCD Screen with a pristine brand new one with new aluminium cover.
    3. Replace the PCI ExpressCard cage with a new one
    4. Found my OW Computing 16 GB RAM not up to spec (since Apple only officially supports 8 GB RAM for this model) so they took out my OW Computing RAM and placed it in an electrostatic envelope. Then the replaced it with Apple 8 GB RAM. And they returned the OW Computing RAM to me. Of course, I reinstalled the OW Computing RAM since I wanted and it works well with 16 GB RAM.

I got back my Macbook Pro in 4 days. It looks BRAND NEW. It works GREAT!

Note that I seriously doubt that Apple will do a recall for these Macbook Pro GPU failures. I think the vast majority of Macbook Pro 17 2011 continue to work without issues. Out of the 3 million Macbook Pro 17 2011s that were sold, only a tiny number of the Macs have the GPU problem.

Sure, these users are very vocal about their problem. After all, Apple users expect more. BUT they want Apple to rescue them rather than pay for an out of warranty repair. I read all the complaints. And it seems the ones who complain the most are the ones who are cheap and penny pinching. They want something for free. Yet they also purchased the most expensive computer - a Mac. This crybaby sense of entitlement just grates me. Real Apple users are never cheap or penny pinching. They only want the best computing experience. And they are willing and able to pay for it.

If you bought a car, it will only give you at most a 50,000 mile warranty. After that, any repair is YOURproblem. And for European cars like the BMW, those repairs are extremely expensive. This is why they are called enthusiasts cars. When you are an enthusiast, you don't complain about the cost. You only want the best driving experience. If you can't afford it, you wouldn't buy it in the first place - or you would get a better job or two to pay for it.

$299 is a CHEAP price to pay for a FLAT RATE major examination and overhaul of my Mac. Apple did more than just replace the motherboard, way more, over and above way more. I expect it to least another 3 years. I love it!

If you read more carefully you would find that a lot of 15" MBP owners have been charged more than $299 for a fix for their laptops. Some being charged every time they bring back the machine for the same issue. That is not a CHEAP fix. My laptop is now having the same GPU issue it had after paying to get it fixed. THAT is not being CHEAP. When you pay for a premium product you expect it to work. Just because owners are complaining about the issues with their premium laptops isn't being CHEAP, it is being responsible not to keep wasting money on a fix that doesn't last. Just because that CHEAP fix worked for your 17" MBP doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Furthermore, although $299 may be CHEAP for YOU, that does not apply to all. Some people had to save up their money to buy the premium device expecting it to last longer than 3 years. So to have it 'malfunction' after a year to 3 years is totally and completely unacceptable. How about thinking about others and not just yourself!
  • Reply 49 of 180
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

<Insert Samsung bashing remark here>

Yes, it could be a fault in the Samsung which is also about three years old. I have not found Samsung to be particularly reliable - new TV failed in a month.

• Reply 50 of 180
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I disagree with you Samsung is very reliable and Apple always has some type of problems when they introduce new products especially i phones.

• Reply 51 of 180
    I have some information that may lend some assistance. We had one of these and we still had warranty at the time. The issue was persistent. Eventually via the Apple store the screen was replaced but this did not solve the problem. We kept insisting that so much down time trying to deal with an issue was frustrating and asked for a replacement. We kept being denied being given a replacement not because the Apple store didn't want to help us but because it wasn't policy. Eventually they had the computer in the service bay and found an unknown issue which we were told that Cupertino techs acknowledged was a 'design flaw.' As it turns out Cupertino wanted the computer back and instructed the Apple Store here in Canada to replace our MacBook Pro with a new one. They did this as they found a what was termed as a critical flaw in the design of this specific device, which didn't make full sense at the time. So again, the engineering team at Cupertino were were told instructed that our unit be sent back to them.

I am suggesting here that Apple is aware of this issue and that it is a design flaw and that if someone is experiencing this they must do everything they can to ask for a remedy.

Persistence is key with these big companies. Apple tends to be very reasonable but sometimes it takes working with the right person to get the correct help.

The replaced computer, a later 2012 model however has had its screen replaced for a bad wire recently, related to the airport Antenna - out of warranty at a cost of $600.00 - I didn't press the issue. Out of Warranty as the replaced device had to be attached to the original 2011 models warranty, which is definitely a flaw of Apple's. I get value-added, but if they are issuing a new device at any time it should have new warranty or at least the ability to re-purchase Apple care on the replaced device. Apple does not allow for this.
  • Reply 52 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

I'm glad to see this report. I am also having graphics problems with my early 2011 MacBook Pro. It is not showing up on the inbuilt screen, but on an external Samsung screen connected via the thunderbolt port.

I find that when I plug in a second screen the graphics switches from the integrated (intel) card to the discrete (AMD) card, so the display looks fine on its own but all glitchy in dual screen. Unfortunately the build in screen also goes glitchy if I watch videos as the graphics switches then too.

• Reply 53 of 180
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Laptop GPU defects... This has to stop. I'm disinclined to buy another MacBook because my 3,1 MacBook Pro died from a nvidia failure and these keep showing up in the news. Makes me wonder what the lifespan of the new Mac Pro is. Four years isn't acceptable for any computer.
  • Reply 54 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

I'm glad to see this report. I am also having graphics problems with my early 2011 MacBook Pro. It is not showing up on the inbuilt screen, but on an external Samsung screen connected via the thunderbolt port.

It mostly works OK, but there seems to be a particular shade of blue that sends the external screen crazy (File selection background in Finder). I thought it might either be another faulty connector (I already replaced that about 18 months ago). Or maybe it could be fixed by a firmware upgrade - sometimes firmware can get around hardware problems.

OK, it seems this is not the MacBook Pro graphics since I just connected Samsung display direct to Mac Mini server and it still has the same problem. Thus as I have always suspected, it's Samsung at fault.

I'm never going to buy Samsung anything again.

• Reply 55 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I disagree with you Samsung is very reliable and Apple always has some type of problems when they introduce new products especially i phones.

Nope - see my answer I just posted - Samsung does the same on both Mac Mini and MacBook Pro. I've always had problems with Samsung - I just get the feeling they do things on the cheap and their main aim is to capture market share rather than provide quality.

• Reply 56 of 180
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member

Re: the post about external monitors connected via Thunderbolt.

I don't think has anything at all to do with the issue at hand. You didn't mention how the external monitor is connected to the MacBook Pro. I assume it's a Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort to-"something" adapter. If it's a MiniDisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI (the big honking adapter with the Thunderbolt and USB connector) there's a newer version of the adapter with updated firmware that fixes several issues. 

Regarding the main topic ... in all fairness is it right to make a big bold claim that Apple is "Ignoring" this problem? If they've received complaints about it from a statistically significant number of customers you can be assured they are not ignoring the problem. By statistically significant I mean in numbers that are outside of the expected failure rate for the product. In many of these cases where people take to the forumosphere you have a relatively low percentage of people who are "massively vocal" about their problems and scream inordinately loud about their problem. They want their problem to become everyone's problem. This works the whole forumosphere community into a mad frenzy and bloggers and tech sites add fuel to the fire with incendiary headlines that paint the issue in the most negative light possible. When Apple is involved there is no limit to how loud and obnoxious the rhetoric is allowed to get. This is crowd sourced complaining at its best - or worst depending on your perspective. But the bottom line is often the same, throw all manner of reasonableness and professional consideration out the window and just start screaming at the top of your lungs. Oh and hire a lawyer and launch a class action suit while you're at it, because that's just the way we deal with issues today. Exercise the thermonuclear option first rather than trying to engage man to man.

I'm not making a claim about whether the problem is widespread or not. It could very well be a case of premature component failure or an assembly defect. All I'm saying is that the path towards a solution is usually not paved with aggressive one-sided attacks, name calling, massive speculation about purposeful wrongdoings, and total lack of insight into what the the provider is actually doing about the issue. There are many stories about Apple doing the right thing to solve problems and most of these follow a pattern where the problem is presented in a reasonable and respectful manner and the person making the decision is given an incentive to exercise the full set of options at their disposal. Shouting and screaming typically does not help establish a dialog that leads to resolution of issues between reasonable parties. 

• Reply 57 of 180
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

In the absence of any real numbers as to how many MBPs are affected, I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt that the issue is still being evaluated. In light of what else is going on, this may not be Apple's highest priority right now. I also figure that there is no other computer manufacturer on the planet who would even consider replacing three year old computers, manufacturing error or not. Still, I hope Apple does the right thing* for the owners of affected MBPs.

* Note to TS: I define "right thing" as repair, replace, or credit towards purchase of a new device.

"Evaluated" - or perhaps they are in heated negotiations with AMD to see just how much of a recall cost AMD will pay for and not disclose to the public so that Apple can be the hero but not have to pay nearly as much to make that claim. Not that I am hating on Apple - just speculating that there may be more going on than we are aware of. 

• Reply 58 of 180
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

I smell a lawsuit? Anyone?

Nope. That would already have happened by now if the lawyers smelled a real problem. As this article points out a couple of times, nobody knows how many MacBooks have failed, third party ‘estimates’ are useless, ‘views’ on the discussion forums are meaningless (just like ‘hits’ on a Google search are meaningless). Only Apple knows the true extent of the issue and they are not talking.

• Reply 59 of 180
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Nope. That would already have happened by now if the lawyers smelled a real problem. As this article points out a couple of times, nobody knows how many MacBooks have failed, third party ‘estimates’ are useless, ‘views’ on the discussion forums are meaningless (just like ‘hits’ on a Google search are meaningless). Only Apple knows the true extent of the issue and they are not talking.

Right.
    We know is that it is a pretty common, random, and seemingly widespread issue. Without real numbers though, none of that means anything.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    This is pretty disconcerting. I'm still using my 2007 MBP, warts and all, and anticipate still more use from it. I buy Macs because they seem to last FOREVER. Knowing that they don't build them like the used to might make me re-think my plans when I finally need to replace what I've got.