Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' at final stage before mass production, on track for Sept. 9 debut

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
With Apple expected to be planning a Sept. 9 event to showcase its next-generation iPhone, a new report claims that the so-called "iPhone 6" has entered the "product validation test" stage, which is the final step before mass production.

Rumors about the next iPhone's manufacturing status were first reported on Chinese social media site Weibo by local telecom expert Xiang Ligang, who cited sources from the Foxconn plant in Zhengzhou. The post was highlighted by G for Games on Wednesday.

With the "iPhone 6" reportedly in the "PVT" phase, yield rates were allegedly at 90 percent, which means final production should begin soon. Xiang believes manufacturing is "not a problem" at this point, and the handset remains on track for its rumored September release.

More evidence that production of the anticipated "iPhone 6" is ramping up has come from continuous component leaks over the last few weeks. A vast array of parts claiming to be from both 4.7- and 5.5-inch versions of the next iPhone have appeared online, purporting to show the near-final design of Apple's next handset.

All of this suggests the company is on-track for its rumored Sept. 9 event, where Apple is expected to officially unveil the next iPhone to the public for the first time. If the company follows its usual release schedule, that would make it available to the public on Friday, Sept. 19.

Wednesday's report did not draw a clear distinction between the manufacturing status of the 4.7- or 5.5-inch models, but some recent reports have alleged that Apple is facing some manufacturing issues with the larger variant of the "iPhone 6." For those reasons, it has been suggested that the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" might see a slight delay, launching sometime soon after the 4.7-inch model.

This year's iPhone launch is expected to be the biggest in the company's history, with reports pegging orders of up to 80 million units through the end of 2014. Hopes for the new iPhone are also high on Wall Street, where investors believe that customers have been clamoring for larger display sizes from Apple.

The "iPhone 6" is likely to be part of a big fall for the company, which has been particularly quiet thus far in 2014. But executives at Apple have teased that they have a big lineup of new products and entirely new product categories coming before the end of the year.

In particular, Apple's most anticipated device may be the new "iWatch," which is expected to be a wrist-worn smart accessory that will track and provide users with health and fitness data. It is expected to tie into the new Health application that will be featured in the upcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system.

Updates to the iPad Air and iPad mini are also expected, with Apple's touchscreen tablets rumored to receive Touch ID fingerprint sensing home buttons with 2014 revisions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Don't worry. Haters and contrarians will find something else to complain about. :)
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Final stage before mass production?

Wow. You don't say.....
  • Reply 3 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Boring!
  • Reply 4 of 56
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    I'm thinking the phrase "one more thing" gets taken out of mothballs to introduce the wearables line.
  • Reply 5 of 56

3 weeks and 6 days to go...

• Reply 6 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I have a feeling they'll drop the numbering and announce it as "the new iPhone".
  • Reply 7 of 56
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    cali wrote: »
    I have a feeling they'll drop the numbering and announce it as "the new iPhone".

Would be good, since we don't have 'MacBook Pro 5S' and the like. The new iPhone would be nice and simple.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roly View Post

Would be good, since we don't have 'MacBook Pro 5S' and the like. The new iPhone would be nice and simple.

The only issue would be with regards to marketing the older models following the launch of subsequent models. "The new iPhone 2014 revision" will not sound good come 2015 when the New iPhone comes out.

Macbooks don't really have this issue as Apple discontinues the old line as soon as the new one comes out.

• Reply 9 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Even a deaf man can see it now

What?
  • Reply 10 of 56
    I%u2019m really excited about the new iPhone 6 coming out, especially after all the articles I%u2019ve read about the features it%u2019s going to have. There is this site called Recom Hub that compares all the buyback companies and shows you what price they will give you when you sell. It%u2019s kind of like Expedia but for selling electronic gadgets. I found it to be a lot easier than searching 10-12 different sites for the best offer.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What?

Ya- such a shock that he doesn't make any sense.

Still curious why AI thinks a 5.5" is coming- what is one piece of evidence outside of Ming saying so?
  • Reply 12 of 56
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What?

It's something only a blind man can hear. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's something only a blind man can hear. ;)

That at least makes sense.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I can see! said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's not looking good for wearables is it? Not for September anyways, not for a release. Might still be mentioned and out in November.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The only issue would be with regards to marketing the older models following the launch of subsequent models.

No, not in the slightest. The iPad proves this.

• Reply 17 of 56
    A year from now Apple will introduce a revolutionary new iPhone with a 3.0" screen and an unprecedented small form factor. "Incredibly thin and light" will be Phil Schiller's words to describe the new iPhone mini.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ya- such a shock that he doesn't make any sense.

Still curious why AI thinks a 5.5" is coming- what is one piece of evidence outside of Ming saying so?

Um, the numerous photos of parts that have been posted online? Now, there's no evidence so far they'll release the 5.5 at the same time as the 4.7, but they're at least clearly working on 5.5 something, whether that is a phone for later release or it turns out to be a new iPod.

• Reply 19 of 56
    Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

Um, the numerous photos of parts that have been posted online?

All none of them, you mean.

• Reply 20 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    No, not in the slightest. The iPad proves this.

THANK YOU. I was about to mention this. With Apple the opposite is true where numbering is not typically part of their culture. Not sure why they put numbers after iPhones. We didn't have an iPod 4, they dropped numbers for iPad also. I don't think they'll call the next iPhone "iPhone 2014 revision", that's just annoying. They'll just sell it like all their other devices (iPod 5th gen). I've noticed the back of all iPhones just read "iPhone". This gives the back panel a clean look and announcing the next version as "The new iPhone" isn't far from reality.

I just feel like "iPhone 6" is beginning to be too much.