Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' at final stage before mass production, on track for Sept. 9 debut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All none of them, you mean.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+5.5+parts+images

• Reply 22 of 56
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I don't think they'll call the next iPhone "iPhone 2014 revision", that's just annoying. 

They’ll call it that internally, however, just like they do with computers. MacBook Pro Early 2011, iMac Late 2010, etc. Cake.

Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

So no, I won’t be doing that. If you actually have anything to back up the claim, you’d post it.

• Reply 23 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

They’ll call it that internally, however, just like they do with computers. MacBook Pro Early 2011, iMac Late 2010 etc. Cake.

oh yeah they're probably already calling it that. The number thing is getting to be too much, I think now is the right time to drop it.

Concerning screen size I really hope they keep an iPhone 5 sized model. I wonder if they can get any more screen into the same size? maybe like .2" more without the bezels haha.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:

So no, I won’t be doing that. If you actually have anything to back up the claim, you’d post it.

You mean how most of these have appeared on this very site?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/01/home-button-parts-claimed-to-be-for-apples-47-55-iphone-6-units-surface-with-different-designs

"Identification numbers associated with the cables match up with previous leaks and parts from Apple, which bolsters speculation that the parts are indeed legitimate."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/28/purported-55-in-iphone-logic-board-surfaces-alongside-iphone-6-part-in-new-photos

• Reply 25 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fuzzypaws wrote: »

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/01/home-button-parts-claimed-to-be-for-apples-47-55-iphone-6-units-surface-with-different-designs

"Identification numbers associated with the cables match up with previous leaks and parts from Apple, which bolsters speculation that the parts are indeed legitimate."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/28/purported-55-in-iphone-logic-board-surfaces-alongside-iphone-6-part-in-new-photos

How does that prove anything about a 5.5" iPhone?
  • Reply 26 of 56
    fuzzypaws wrote: »

God I hope those aren't real. If Apple releases a giant phone I hope they make it sleek and stylish. Those hideous android monsters look ridiculous when put up to an ear or for texting. A 5.5" model might even canabalize a few iPad sales.

Please let's keep the current size for people who wish to remain sane. paraphrasing what Jimmy Kimmel said, "Apple is planning on releasing a larger sized phone which is good because I hate how well my iphone fits in my pocket."
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

Yep, none of those are in any way proof or evidence of anything; thanks for confirming.

• Reply 28 of 56
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'm thinking the phrase "one more thing" gets taken out of mothballs to introduce the wearables line.

Hearing someone from Apple, up on stage, whether it be Tim or Craig, would be heartwarming. It'd be like Steve was in the room watching. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it.

Anyways, I think the 5.5 and the bracelet will come hand in hand. A way to tuck away the 5.5, and for simple things just use the bracelet.

• Reply 29 of 56
    saarek wrote: »

The only issue would be with regards to marketing the older models following the launch of subsequent models. "The new iPhone 2014 revision" will not sound good come 2015 when the New iPhone comes out.

Macbooks don't really have this issue as Apple discontinues the old line as soon as the new one comes out.
    Accept they probably won't sell old devices now, it will be iPhone jumbo, regular, and color/mini.
    sog35 wrote: »
    agree with this

iPhoneAir - 4.7
    iPhonePro - 5.5
    iPhoneColor - 4.0 - basically iPhone5S in plastic
    Not sure that 5.5 will be pro.
    No, not in the slightest. The iPad proves this.
    Accept it has not been done, the IPad with no name was 3rd, it never was sold after 4th came out titled "retina", and new one is "air" and even new mini is "retina mini"
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

A year from now Apple will introduce a revolutionary new iPhone with a 3.0" screen and an unprecedented small form factor. "Incredibly thin and light" will be Phil Schiller's words to describe the new iPhone mini.

Ah-ha, do you mean the one that will fit in the upcoming iTime watchband so you can wear it on your wrist?

• Reply 31 of 56
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

I have a feeling they'll drop the numbering and announce it as "the new iPhone".

Maybe.  It would get rid of that awkward "S" name suffix for the "tock" years.

And it would avoid any possibility of a terrible name like "iPhone 5CS".

But without model numbers, I think it will be necessary to refer to iPhone models by year.

As in "the small 2014 iPhone" and "the big 2014 iPhone".  (Or "the 2014 iPhone Air" etc.)

• Reply 32 of 56
    sockrolid wrote: »
    cali wrote: »
    I have a feeling they'll drop the numbering and announce it as "the new iPhone".

Maybe.  It would get rid of that awkward "S" name suffix for the "tock" years.

But without model numbers, I think it will be necessary to refer to iPhone models by year.
    As in "the small 2014 iPhone" and "the big 2014 iPhone".  (Or "the 2014 iPhone Air" etc.)

I endorse this, except like cars (which always used to have new restyled models debuting in September), the phone introduced on September 9th will be the "2015 iPhone". They're not going to have their phone called last year's phone for 3/4 of its current life.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    And now that I wrote that, I'm not so sure. Introducing the "2015 model" when it's still 2014 just seems to clash with Apple's style. Well we'll soon know.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

Those particular parts indicate nothing. Its assumed that because there are TWO to mention, that those TWO must belong to TWO models....which we automatically conclude are the rumored 4.7" and 5.5" models.

Besides those two, got anything else? Because every single other part leak, like shells, displays, dummy units, etc... are ALL of the 4.7" device. So it is indeed fair to say that a 4.7" model is probably coming.

There has been nothing to indicate that a 5.5" model is coming. Nothing.

• Reply 35 of 56
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I endorse this, except like cars (which always used to have new restyled models debuting in September), the phone introduced on September 9th will be the "2015 iPhone". They're not going to have their phone called last year's phone for 3/4 of its current life.

If Apple does go with the "new iPhone" naming instead of "iPhone 6" etc., then they'll only say "new iPhone" in marketing materials.  Just like with "the new iPad" circa 2012.  When referring to them internally, they may just go with the naming scheme for Macs.  As in "Retina, 15-inch, Late-2013."  The year would be the actual release year, not the "model year" like automobile makers do.

• Reply 36 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Accept it has not been done, the IPad with no name was 3rd, it never was sold after 4th came out titled "retina", and new one is "air" and even new mini is "retina mini"

The iPad 2 is sold today, alongside the iPad and the iPad Air. The iPad is better than the iPad 2.

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

It’d be 5SC.

• Reply 37 of 56
    And now that I wrote that, I'm not so sure. Introducing the "2015 model" when it's still 2014 just seems to clash with Apple's style. Well we'll soon know.

I'm thinking they'll use "Gen" like iPods but now that I think of it that would also be confusing since iPhone 6 is technically 8th Gen. Unless they work around this by considering 3GS 3.5 gen etc.

Anything is possible at this point.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:

Why do people object to numbering products? I like it and wish Apple would apply the same convention to their other products. It makes it MUCH easier to keep track of which machines support which features. I have no trouble keeping track of things that you can do with an iPhone 5 than you can't with an iPhone 4. It's harder to keep things straight in my head with names like Late 2009 MacBook Pro. It's a less-clear identifier, an unwieldy name and an inelegant convention. Plus, in some cases, you can't tell which model you're looking at without powering it up.

I would like very much to purchase a new MacBook Pro 11. It works for software, why not hardware?

• Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The only issue would be with regards to marketing the older models following the launch of subsequent models.

No, not in the slightest. The iPad proves this.

Which made it confusing as hell to shop Craigslist for a used one. Because I haven't needed or wanted one myself I haven't kept track of their development. I had to look up the order of release to figure out which model was which -- with the obvious exception of the 2 and 3 which were self-explanatory. Applying that convention consistently would sure make things easier for the casual shopper like me.

• Reply 40 of 56
    cali wrote: »

Or the iPhone 8.