Rev. Jesse Jackson & Rainbow PUSH Coalition praise Apple for releasing detailed workforce diversity

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    quanster wrote: »
    I can't believe the kind of uproar this diversity report is causing on this website.  Are you kidding me?

1.  No company is putting diversity above talent if they want to be competitive.  No where did Cook say that they are considering less talented minorities for jobs in the name of diversity.  
    2.  I am a hiring manager of a tech company and we are similarly conscious about our workforce's diversity.  There are goals for diversity that the company set for ourselves.  But every hiring manager understands that you only make a hiring that improves on diversity when it doesn't compromise the talent.  Yes my company has a big majority of white males but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for diversity.  

It's true that besides encouraging diversity through the hiring process, companies should also work at the root of the problem and promote more diversity in engineering programs.  My company holds events to encourage greater participation of minorities and women in engineering.  

What Apple is doing will only improves on its branding.  When you are the #1 company in the world, these are the kind of things you need to do to improve your brand.  So Apple is not only synonymous with quality hardware/software but is also admired as a green company with great diversity and etc.  It gives people more reasons to admire the company and buy the products.  When it was near the brink of bankruptcy in the 90s, it doesn't need to worry about such things because it has other more immediate problems.  Tim is a great CEO because he is improving Apple in various facets simultaneously.  Steve Jobs was the perfect CEO to get Apple to become the #1 company in the world but I think Tim Cook is the perfect CEO to keep it there.  

+1 Very well stated!
  • Reply 62 of 98
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    Jesse Jackson is nothing but a racist biggot ass! Apple Insider should be ashamed of including him on any news release!!!!!
  • Reply 63 of 98
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    How can a company, as brilliant as Apple has demonstrated themselves to be; be so gullable as to believe that they are missing out on all the "benefits" of diversity?

Focus on your key values, re-think how things have always been done, polish to perfection. Hire the best and the brightest.

Sitting back and saying "we are not hiring inferior employees, and we need to do this in order to succeed" is fiscal suicide. Can anyone name 1 company that improved their business model by stratifying their workforce? Countries with stratified/diverse backgrounds NEVER do well. Canada has French/English pockets; and despite being a great place, they are not a business superpower, neither is India. Yet, according to the "diversity gods" these places should be leading the world. They aren't, never have, and likely never will. Places with a highly uniform workforce or population have done very well. The English Empire reigned the world for several hundred years, China is doing very well, the Roman Empire ruled the known world. Historically speaking, throughout time - a uniform group has triumphed against a diversified group.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Great points.

There are a few special people on this board who think being aware of diversity means hiring any minority that apply no matter how unqualified they are. 

How "diverse" is the makeup of the Rainbow Coalition? Are all colors of the rainbow equally represented or is it a monochromatic rainbow?
  • Reply 65 of 98
    keep to the subject

you are using the classic lawyer talk - diversion

And your responses are classic PT Barnum...a real 3-ring circus featuring a big clown.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

What did you want him to say?  "I'm satisfied with the results!

Yeah, that would have been nice. They’re awfully diverse already; how about highlighting how proud they are of that instead of insinuating something else?

If he said that Apple would have faced big time criticism.

From idiots only.

• Reply 67 of 98

Tim Cook:  We are 100% satisfied with our diversity survey.

Yeah, notice I didn’t quote that part.

You really think that would look good in the Media?

Who gives a frick?

Headline:  Apple satisfied with 70% White Male demographic

Conclusion: Apple diversity represents reality.

You really need to take a class on public relations.

Nah. I’ll stick with not wanting diversity for its own sake.

• Reply 68 of 98

Of course Apple needs to be concerned about public perception and be sensitive about what the media may say.

They don’t really care about such things, or haven’t you been paying attention?

Headline:  Tim Cook Satisfied with Diversity Survey.  70% White.

Headline: America 70% white.

Time for YOU to be reasonable.

• Reply 69 of 98
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quanster View Post

I can't believe the kind of uproar this diversity report is causing on this website.  Are you kidding me?

1.  No company is putting diversity above talent if they want to be competitive.  No where did Cook say that they are considering less talented minorities for jobs in the name of diversity.  

2.  I am a hiring manager of a tech company and we are similarly conscious about our workforce's diversity.  There are goals for diversity that the company set for ourselves.  But every hiring manager understands that you only make a hiring that improves on diversity when it doesn't compromise the talent.  Yes my company has a big majority of white males but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for diversity.  

It's true that besides encouraging diversity through the hiring process, companies should also work at the root of the problem and promote more diversity in engineering programs.  My company holds events to encourage greater participation of minorities and women in engineering.  

What Apple is doing will only improves on its branding.  When you are the #1 company in the world, these are the kind of things you need to do to improve your brand.  So Apple is not only synonymous with quality hardware/software but is also admired as a green company with great diversity and etc.  It gives people more reasons to admire the company and buy the products.  When it was near the brink of bankruptcy in the 90s, it doesn't need to worry about such things because it has other more immediate problems.  Tim is a great CEO because he is improving Apple in various facets simultaneously.  Steve Jobs was the perfect CEO to get Apple to become the #1 company in the world but I think Tim Cook is the perfect CEO to keep it there.  

The above does not work, I have been in the tech industry come up on 30 yrs and watch many companies do exactly that. They been trying for more than 30 yrs to increase diversity in the technology and engineering field at the root of the problem. I can tell you even today my son who went into engineering his class make up is almost exactly the same as it looked like when I got my engineering degree, mostly white guys which look like they have no social graces to deal with people around them and a few women and very few of any things else, with one exception, more Asian than you can shake a stick at.

my son figure out what I figure out later get out of engineering, since the real money in on the business side so he change, and guess what, more diversity there.

Long and short you can not get women to go into engineering most have absolutely no interest in it because it fill with people who just think way differently then an engineer. The same it true for other races and cultures, you can not make someone who does not have the engineering aptitude into an engineer. It is like teaching someone to sing who can not hear the beat in the song. 

• Reply 70 of 98
    quanster wrote: »

+1 Very well stated!

Seconded!

I usually avoid posting to threads like this, but it is interesting to note that out of Apple's first 10 employees they had:

1 female
    2 males with Hispanic surnames
    1 male communist (English surname)
    1 male Finnish descent
    1 male Polish descent
    1 male Syrian descent
    3 males with English surnames

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/06/the-first-10-apple-employees-where-are-they-now/240020/#slide1

That's pretty diverse for 1978 in Silicon Valley ...

FWIW, I met most of these people in the early days -- but only the communist came into our home ... but that's another story :D
  • Reply 71 of 98
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I was wondering how long it would take Jackson to wade in.

Won't be long before the execrable Al Sharpton weighs in.

He won't.  He and Jackson are arch enemies and covet these opportunities.  Except for the major, major ones it's one or the other.

This counts as a check in Jackson's column.  I say only half jokingly that Sharpton was quicker to own the most recent racial ambulance chasings so Jackson saw this as something he needed to weigh in on in order to not score zero for the quarter.

• Reply 72 of 98
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    The nba is not racially balanced, no white players. Whites should boycott the games.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Funny how only a VERY VERY VERY VERY small minority are outraged by Tim Cooks comments.

I guess that means you approve of the oppression of minority opinions?
  • Reply 74 of 98
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jlandd wrote: »
    He won't.  He and Jackson are arch enemies and covet these opportunities.  Except for the major, major ones it's one or the other.

This counts as a check in Jackson's column.  I say only half jokingly that Sharpton was quicker to own the most recent racial ambulance chasings so Jackson saw this as something he needed to weigh in on in order to not score zero for the quarter.

I don't know if they are arch enemies but neither will give up the camera time. HD isn't big enough for both.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    No.  But when 99.9999999999999% of people of various ages, sex, race, religions, nationalities, all agree on something you really need to reconsider.  And who's oppressing anyone?  YOu have the right to think Cook's comments were stupid.  Go ahead.

99.9999999% of the population thinks eating cow DUNG is a bad idea.

When you are such a distant minority on a TOPIC (not a demographic) you better make sure you have all the facts.

You're really a poor representative of whatever cause you think you're representing.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    so are you for or against Cook's statement about diversity?

I am not in favor of what Cook said. I'm more interested in what they intend to do. If quotas are involved, they will be institutionalizing racist policies and giving in to race-baiters. What is Jackson's criteria or description of a "diverse" company anyway? I have a deep suspicion it is something along the lines of a hiring consultancy contract issued to his organization.

To dredge up a shopworn meme, Steve Jobs would've told Jesse Jackson to go **** himself.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I am not in favor of what Cook said. I'm more interested in what they intend to do. If quotas are involved, they will be institutionalizing racist policies and giving in to race-baiters. What is Jackson's criteria or description of a "diverse" company anyway? I have a deep suspicion it is something along the lines of a hiring consultancy contract issued to his organization.

To dredge up a shopworn meme, Steve Jobs would've told Jesse Jackson to go **** himself.

I don't think quotas will be involved. However if two qualified candidates (white, minority) come in and score "near equally" in the interview, who do you choose.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't think quotas will be involved. However if two qualified candidates (white, minority) come in and score "near equally" in the interview, who do you choose.

Coin toss?

• Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:

Wow. One of the few.

I'd guess that 99% of people liked what Cook said or were indifferent.

Yes, you're guessing.

• Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:

No I'm not.  Look at the media coverage.  99% are not calling Cook out.

There is a long tradition of cowering before accusations of racism in this country, well-founded or not. In this case, not.