Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
As part of its ongoing Apple-bashing campaign, Samsung recently took their "wall hugger" message to major airports, cleverly buying ad space around power outlets where iPhone users apparently congregate.

In July, Samsung launched a TV ad blitz bemoaning "wall huggers," or iPhone users who are in constant need of power outlets because their batteries keep dying.

Now, according to CNET, Samsung is expanding that initiative beyond the small screen to actual power outlets in airports, where many portable device users juice up before hopping on their flight. As seen above, the placard completely envelops the outlet and starts out by touting the Galaxy S5's "Ultra Power Saving Mode," which adjusts screen brightness to a minimum, sets everything grayscale, turns off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, restricts the number of in-use apps and switches off cellular data when the screen is locked, among other tweaks.

The iPhone is not mentioned outright, but the reference is there. Samsung ad reads, "So you have the power to be anywhere but here," an obvious dig at Apple's recent TV commercials that end with the common tagline, "You're more powerful than you think."

Samsung's "wall hugger" idea follows a rich tradition of iterating on Apple's own ads to prop up Galaxy products. The Korean company in 2012 aired a commercial mocking iPhone fans waiting in line for Apple's next-generation handset, saying, "The next big thing is already here," in reference to the Galaxy SIII.

There has yet to be tangible evidence that Samsung's tactic of shaming consumers into buying its products is working, but the company has continuously spent huge amounts of money on advertising.

The publication says Samsung is planning to widen its campaign to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, Chicago's O'Hare and Midway airports and potentially others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Okay, that’s pretty brilliant. I like these physical ads better than their initial attempt at “advertising”.

Shame* the Galaxy line is beleaguered.

*Where’s the asterisk? Here. Good on you for having the moxie to look for it! Back to the original point: IT’S NOT A SHAME AT ALL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DISMAL FAILURES.

• Reply 2 of 162
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Samsung is a corrupt, soulless corporation. And, one that is incapable of doing software

My bet is they have already peaked
  • Reply 3 of 162
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    As much as i hate to see companies dead... this Samsung is only i wished to be dead.

WTH! They copy Apple products then bash them? Shameless!

Cant imagine a school seatmate who keeps copying me during exams and bash me how brainless i am.
  • Reply 4 of 162
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I gotta hand it to Samsung, this is pretty clever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

As much as i hate to see companies dead... this Samsung is only i wished to be dead.

WTH! They copy Apple products then bash them? Shameless!

Cant imagine a school seatmate who keeps copying me during exams and bash me how brainless i am.

Yeah, just as odd as those who get upset about Samsung copying Apple only to later bash Samsung products for being a bad product.  Are they the same or not?  If one is a slavish copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

• Reply 5 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey Sammy, perhaps iPhone users actual use their phones.
  • Reply 6 of 162
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member

I wish I could say its not true :-(

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with better power mgmt.

• Reply 7 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Yeah, just as odd as those who get upset about Samsung copying Apple only to later bash Samsung products for being a bad product.  Are they the same or not?  If one is a copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

A copy is never as good as the original.
  • Reply 8 of 162
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

I don't get how insulting a potential customer's purchasing choices can lead to adoption of another product by the issuing company. 

• Reply 9 of 162
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't get how insulting a potential customer's purchasing choices can lead to adoption of another product by the issuing company. 

lol... you're right... Apple would NEVER stoop to those tactics....:-)

• Reply 10 of 162
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

About a year ago, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit in the SF area) stations were plastered with Galaxy ads.

All gone the last time I rode BART, which was some time in June.

Maybe Samsung's marketing group ran out of money.  (Yeah, right.)

• Reply 11 of 162
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Samsung's ultra power saving mode is the same as shutting off any phone. Everything useful is turned off so I don't call it a saving mode, I call it a deep sleep. Nothing works until you unlock the screen so what good is it? Another marketing stunt that's meaningless. 

• Reply 12 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [QUOTE name="DroidFTW" url="/t/181820/samsung-puts-wall-hugger-ads-on-airport-power-outlets-takes-apple-mockery-to-next-level#post_2578776"]

If one is a slavish copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.
    [/QUOTE]

Unless, of course, only the exterior appearance was copied.

Your post, however, is a superb copy of the Chewbacca Defense.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47057/]
    [/URL]

It. Does. Not. Make. Sense.
  • Reply 13 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Thanks for adding to the list of people who don’t comprehend anything whatsoever about those commercials. Please try again.

• Reply 14 of 162
    So, if you use your phone, you can't save your battery. If you save your battery, you can't use your phone.

Personally, I would rather use mine. And, I do. Constantly. Ten house of use per day, if I drain the battery. Give me a charger.

Samsung user report longer battery life why? Because they use them only as phones and for nothing else. Inn short, they don't use them heavily.

One of these days, Samsung is going to irritate Apple just enough. Just enough that they will decide to take their chip business elsewhere.
  • Reply 15 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Thanks for adding to the list of people who don’t comprehend anything whatsoever about those commercials. Please try again.
    Anytime one of these ads crops up and someone knocks it they get Mac vs PC thrown in their face even though Apple stopped running those commercials in 2009. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 16 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

The only reason why the average person buys a Samsung phone:

• Reply 17 of 162
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

actually the better one to use would have been the Intel Snail... 

At least they weren't attacking a specific company in the Mac vs PC ads. But, you have a point. :)

• Reply 18 of 162
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with battery power mgmt.

The Next Big Thing arrives Sept. 9...

• Reply 19 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Yeah, just as odd as those who get upset about Samsung copying Apple only to later bash Samsung products for being a bad product.  Are they the same or not?  If one is a slavish copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

So Goophone is "pretty much equal" to the quality of the iPhone it is knocking off?

• Reply 20 of 162
    Everybody charges their gadgets before they get on a flight. On a flight you don't let your device sit in standby battery savings mode.. you use the heck out of it for books, movies, songs, games, etc etc... so you want it at 100%. What else is there to do besides stare at the aging flight attendants?

If there's nobody charging Samsungs at the charger then it's because nobody has a Samsung.