Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS resea

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller this week joined in on the popular "ice bucket challenge," which helps to raise money for the ALS Association, and even challenged CEO Tim Cook and a celebrity friend to get in on the act.

Apple's Phil Schiller. Donations can be made to The ALS Association.

Schiller, photographed on a California beach and wearing a shirt representing his alma mater of Boston College, took to Twitter to show his participation in the fundraiser for the condition also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. A trio of pictures show Schiller completely dry, then emptying a bucket over his head, before the final shot shows the Apple executive smiling and soaked.

As is part of the practice, Schiller then challenged others to participate, including his wife Kim. Also among those he tagged were his boss, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, as well as actor and fellow BC graduate Chris O'Donnell, who stars on the popular CBS drama "NCIS: Los Angeles."

Since the challenge began on July 29, the ALS Association and its 38 chapters have received $4 million in donations. That compares to just $1.12 million during the same period last year.

"We have never seen anything like this in the history of the disease," said Barbara Newhouse, President and CEO of The ALS Association. "We couldn't be more thrilled with the level of compassion, generosity and sense of humor that people are exhibiting as they take part in this impactful viral initiative."

People who have been challenged have 24 hours to respond by pouring a bucket of ice water on their head, or making a donation to fight ALS --?or both. With Schiller's challenge issued Wednesday evening, Cook has until 7:57 p.m. Pacific to respond.

The craze actually began with yet another Boston College graduate: Peter Frates, a former Eagles baseball star who suffers from ALS. Along with Cook and O'Donnell, Frates was also tagged in Schiller's Twitter post.

Those looking to help in the fight against ALS can make a donation to the ALS Association via its official website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    Saw Zuckerberg do this yesterday and he called out Bill Gates. Of all the people doing this I think Gates or Cook would be the most interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 113
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member
    For people who wonder what ALS is: its most famous patient is Stephen Hawking. It's a terrible motor neuron disease where the patient slowly loses control of all muscles in his body. A family friend had it and he was totally dependent on his wife to care for his daily activities. Please support this as it is a worthwhile cause.
  • Reply 3 of 113
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Saw Zuckerberg do this yesterday and he called out Bill Gates. Of all the people doing this I think Gates or Cook would be the most interesting.

Where's Ballmer when you need him?
  • Reply 4 of 113

I wonder if Gates will do it. Can totally see Cook doing this.

Back to Schiller. Don't those pictures look straight out if an iPhone ad?
  • Reply 5 of 113
    jasonxjasonx Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

For people who wonder what ALS is: its most famous patient is Stephen Hawking. It's a terrible motor neuron disease where the patient slowly loses control of all muscles in his body. A family friend had it and he was totally dependent on his wife to care for his daily activities. Please support this as it is a worthwhile cause.

Thanks.  I thought that's what it was, but I'm really surprised the article did not define the acronym.

• Reply 6 of 113

Tim! Tim! Tim! Tim! Tim! Tim! Tim!

• Reply 7 of 113
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Too busy scraping together $2B to write the check for the Clippers!!

Basketball!!  Basketball!!  Basketball!!  Basketball!!

• Reply 8 of 113

Doesn't the fact Phil posted a sequence of images, which look like they were taken from video (because of the ratio as well as the fact it looks like he is talking to video in the first frame), smack of a new iOS8 feature? 

Snapshots from videos?

• Reply 9 of 113
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

The most famous patient was and is Lou Gehrig, the baseball player. That’s why ALS is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. 

• Reply 10 of 113
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

He's in L.A., preparing to ruin the Clippers...

Strange, but his was the first name I thought of, too.:???:

• Reply 11 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just make a donation if you are so moved. This fad is as idiotic as Kim Kardashian.
  • Reply 12 of 113
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

The most famous patient was and is Lou Gehrig, the baseball player. That’s why ALS is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. 

Sorry, but I have to go with Zoffdino here, based on how verbs work...

Besides, I would say that most folks today are far more familiar with details of Hawkings' plight,

when we think of Gehrig, I'm betting we are really thinking of Gary Cooper.

• Reply 13 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have to go with Zoffdino here, based on how verbs work...

Besides, I would say that most folks today are far more familiar with details of Hawkings' plight,
    when we think of Gehrig, I'm betting we are really thinking of Gary Cooper.

It's not called Stephen Hawking's Disease.
  • Reply 14 of 113
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just make a donation if you are so moved. This fad is as idiotic as Kim Kardashian.

I agree.  I have friends doing this on Facebook.  I told them not to bother tagging me, I'll just donate online.  It's ridiculous.

• Reply 15 of 113
    allenbf wrote: »
    I agree.  I have friends doing this on Facebook.  I told them not to bother tagging me, I'll just donate online.  It's ridiculous.

It's an opportunity to tell others you are not a lemming or a sheep.
  • Reply 16 of 113
    allenbf wrote: »
    "I agree.  I have friends doing this on Facebook.  I told them not to bother tagging me, I'll just donate online.  It's ridiculous."
    "Just make a donation if you are so moved. This fad is as idiotic as Kim Kardashian."

That sounds like my aunt, known as the family "laugh license revoker". Ice Bucket has quadrupled contributions and even motivated people to grouch about the event, so a cold shower shock seems to be getting attention, and at 4X results so far, it's making a real contribution to a increasingly harsh illness.
  • Reply 17 of 113
    In this series, I first watched Satya Nadella's video. He called out for Jeff and Larry.

He could have called out Tim ! :) :)

I wish Tim would respond to Phil!

• Reply 18 of 113
    Quote:

Get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

• Reply 19 of 113

Just make a donation if you are so moved.

Yep.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please tell us more about how slacktivism does anything for anyone, anywhere.

• Reply 20 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just make a donation if you are so moved.

Yep.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please tell us more about how slacktivism does anything for anyone, anywhere.

Get a life. And a sense of humor, while you're at it.