Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS resea

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    An organized, researched, moving presentation as to the pertinence of funding a cure for the disease.

Basically, what Apple keynotes are to the cult of product they present. We know how well it works to spur interest in metal, glass, and plastic. It will work equally well for disease cures.

Ebola’s airborne. Maybe a keynote on that sometime?

Yup, because people like to be lectured. What the most watched video in YouTube. How many views? What's the most watch TEDtalk? How many views?
  • Reply 42 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post

That sounds like my aunt, known as the family "laugh license revoker". Ice Bucket has quadrupled contributions and even motivated people to grouch about the event, so a cold shower shock seems to be getting attention, and at 4X results so far, it's making a real contribution to a increasingly harsh illness.

Next up... "Waterboarding for Parkinson's Disease"!

• Reply 43 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yup, because people like to be lectured. What the most watched video in YouTube. How many views? What's the most watch TEDtalk? How many views?

What’s the most popular Apple keynote? What’s the most popular keynote from any other tech company in any other circumstance?

Who said anything about a lecture?

• Reply 44 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's not called Stephen Hawking's Disease.

No, but Lou Gerhig died before Hawking was even born. As worded, [@]boredumb[/@] and [@]Zoffdino[/@] are correct since we're in 2014 and much of the world is more likely to know who Hawking is and be able to visualize what the disease does to a person compared to the relatively few older Americans or those with an affinity for baseball that would even know who Gerhig is, and yet I don't nearly all of them would be unlikely to conjure an image that wasn't of him in a baseball uniform before it overtook his life.
  • Reply 45 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I'm not the biggest TS fan but he's right. Laughing at water being dumped on someone's head ended for me around the same time I stopped using training wheels. I don't think a sense of humor means laughing at everything. I am personally put off by how this is seems more about making another selfie than ALS awareness.

It smacks of rampant escapism, quite honestly. There used to be a term in the news business. They called certain news periods the "silly season" because there was always a dearth of things happening and they had to make stuff up to fill the papers.

Maybe I'll start walking up to people and offer to make a donation to the charity of their choice if they'll let me slap them in the face with a large herring, then just walk off... WHO'S UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

Also, dumping a bucket of water on one's head is not a challenge. It's sheep behavior.

• Reply 46 of 113
    Next up... "Waterboarding for Parkinson's Disease"!

Surprisingly to me these challenges do see to raise money and awareness so I'd like to see more of these. However, ALS does affect your motor functionality, which is also affected by extremely cold water, perhaps a Parkinson's challenge should be in a similar vein.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No, but Lou Gerhig died before Hawking was even born. As worded, @boredumb and @Zoffdino are correct since we're in 2014 and much of the world is more likely to know who Hawking is and be able to visualize what the disease does to a person compared to the relatively few older Americans or those with an affinity for baseball that would even know who Gerhig is, and yet I don't nearly all of them would be unlikely to conjure an image that wasn't of him in a baseball uniform before it overtook his life.

Yes, I understand people today have no connection to Lou Gehrig, but there are no plans to change the name of the disease just to increase donations. I'm absolutely fine with donations being increased, mind you, but a bucket of ice water over the head is ludicrously stupid...and I'd be much happier if there was an actual "challenge" involved that involved commitment or skill. Is that too much to ask?

"Hey, look at me! I'm dumping a bucket of water on my head, but it's all for charity so it's cool and socially acceptable!"

• Reply 48 of 113
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    @Ikrupp: I had NO CLUE who Lou Gehrig was until I Googled him, but I know Hawking for sure. I'd bet you a beer that you're American, though, because baseball is a very American sport, and it does sound pretty American to believe an American sportsman is more famous than a British scientist. Not to say you're wrong, just that it does probably depend on where/when.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    Yes, I understand people today have no connection to Lou Gehrig, but there are no plans to change the name of the disease just to increase donations. I'm absolutely fine with donations being increased, mind you, but a bucket of ice water over the head is ludicrously stupid.

The name is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which can be abbreviated as ALS. It can also referred to as motor neurone disease (MND), Charcot disease, and, in the United States, Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou Gehrig's disease only became popular because at the time he was the most famous person with it.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’s dead. There’s not much left of him but the skin and bones that used to hold him.

Sure, but we’re talking specifically about the ice bucket portion. 

This is the part that causes consternation with me. It’s equivalent to the “hit the like button” or “share if you agree” nonsense.

Ah, I’d never be able to top “bikini bridge” or the cinnamon challenge (which I can do, by the way; I love cinnamon).

"Share if you agree" makes a difference. You get read by your friends, and possibly your fans, who all might make a donation, or share, etc. Viral works. 

If you have no friends and no fans... just make a donation.

• Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:

Surprisingly to me these challenges do see to raise money and awareness so I'd like to see more of these. However, ALS does affect your motor functionality, which is also affected by extremely cold water, perhaps a Parkinson's challenge should be in a similar vein.

How about "Drown-a-Buddy" in a bathtub? Let's do it for the kids!

• Reply 52 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

@Ikrupp: I had NO CLUE who Lou Gehrig was until I Googled him, but I know Hawking for sure. I'd bet you a beer that you're American, though, because baseball is a very American sport, and it does sound pretty American to believe an American sportsman is more famous than a British scientist. Not to say you're wrong, just that it does probably depend on where/when.

How about use the bald-headed image of Britney Spears to combat alopecia?

Or get Mel Gibson to raise awareness of child alcoholism caused by insanely racist parents?

Everyone can get in on the act... and they will!

• Reply 53 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Surprisingly to me these challenges do see to raise money and awareness so I'd like to see more of these. 

I wonder...

Seems like you could therefore have a new Jackass movie, with each scene sponsored by a different disease cure organization.

However, ALS does affect your motor functionality, which is also affected by extremely cold water, perhaps a Parkinson's challenge should be in a similar vein. 

INJECTING COLD WATER INTO YOUR VEINS?! That seems counterproductive unless part of the challenge is editing your will such that your possessions are sold and the money given to the foundation...

• Reply 54 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe I'll start walking up to people and offer to make a donation to the charity of their choice if they'll let me slap them in the face with a large herring, then just walk off... WHO'S UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

What size of donation? Proportional to the herring? Is the herring red? Be precise :p

• Reply 55 of 113
    Quote:

What size of donation? Proportional to the herring? Is the herring red? Be precise :p

That's the whole thing. There is no donation, just a headslap with a fish (with apologies to Monty Python).

• Reply 56 of 113
    Quote:

Ebola’s airborne.

Yikes. No.

Please educate yourself. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

• Reply 57 of 113
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Martin_Charcot  thanks for the name, I discovered yet another scientist who helped the world and is pretty much forgotten.

Quote:

The name is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which can be abbreviated as ALS. It can also referred to as motor neurone disease (MND), Charcot disease, and, in the United States, Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou Gehrig's disease only became popular because at the time he was the most famous person with it.

• Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:

Seems like you could therefore have a new Jackass movie, with each scene sponsored by a different disease cure organization.

Get shot out of a cannon for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)!

Dangle naked on a line over a crocodile to raise awareness of Amazonian deforestation!

Drop a lit firecracker down your pants to increase donations for testicular cancer!

• Reply 59 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Get shot out of a cannon for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)!

Dangle naked on a line over a crocodile to raise awareness of Amazonian deforestation!

Stick a firecracker in your pants to increase donations for testicular cancer!

I'm betting a new Lamborghini that this concept would work if the actors/participants are charismatic.

• Reply 60 of 113
    Quote:

I'm betting a new Lamborghini that this concept would work if the actors/participants are charismatic.

It won't be long, mark my words. In America, when something "works" it is guaranteed to be copied ad inifinitum until people are sick of the entire idea.