Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS resea

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Martin_Charcot thanks for the name, I discovered yet another scientist who helped the world and is pretty much forgotten.

If you haven't already you should check out the new Cosmos series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. The series covers many well known names but also delves into many that have made amazing contributions that are fairly unknown. My favourite from the first season is Clair Patterson.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you haven't already you should check out the new Cosmos series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. The series covers many well known names but also delves into many that have made amazing contributions that are fairly unknown. My favourite from the first season is Clair Patterson.

It was an admirable effort by McFarland and Tyson to get some kind (any kind!) of science programming on TV. It might have been better if they had one sponsor for each show, bookending the content so it could run continuously without commercials...but something was better than nothing.

• Reply 63 of 113
    Quote:

If you haven't already you should check out the new Cosmos series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. 

I have just started to watch it on OD. The first episode was sensational. The second, lousy, and a head-scratcher.

I am hoping the first two data points are not a reliable signal of quality variation.

• Reply 64 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yikes. No.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

Low risk exposures

Household member or other casual contact1...

Providing patient care or casual contact1...

1 Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

• Reply 65 of 113

Do you have a link for this study that shows is can survive outside the body or any evidence that it's ever been contracted from proximal but not physical contact with an infected person?
  • Reply 66 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are we looking at an Ebola Apocalypse? Buy your flamethrowers now! :D

• Reply 67 of 113
    I have just started to watch it on OD. The first episode was sensational. The second, lousy, and a head-scratcher.

I do recall there were some weaker episodes but what was a head scratcher about it. I just read the synopsis; it seems like it was a quick overview of the origin of life. That's definitely not easy to put into a single episode.
    I am hoping the first two data points are not a reliable signal of quality variation.

Since there is no arc to follow jump to episode 7 "The Clean Room" and see how you feel about that one. I think that was my favourite (or at least the one I recall liking the most). Next I'd say that episode 5 "Hiding in the Light" which documents Ibn al-Haytham and Joseph von Fraunhofer is my next favourite episode.
  • Reply 68 of 113
    I just took the Hot Shower Challenge. Totally nailed it!
  • Reply 69 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Do you have a link for this study that shows is can survive outside the body or any evidence that it's ever been contracted from proximal but not physical contact with an infected person?

Not off-hand, but this was one of the additions to the page the CDC put up less than a week ago.

• Reply 70 of 113
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

The fact that it’s tied to a charity and that it’s given as an option instead of meaningfully contributing to said charity makes it slacktivism.

TS, read the whole article........  "We have never seen anything like this in the history of the disease," said Barbara Newhouse, President and CEO of The ALS Association. "We couldn't be more thrilled with the level of compassion, generosity and sense of humor that people are exhibiting as they take part in this impactful viral initiative."

In case you still don't "get it",  raising awareness is always a good thing, not to mention the fact that this campaign has resulted in a huge (almost 4x as much money donated). It seems to me, that in your new role to just be a troll, you are taking a negative view on everything, warranted or not. While that may result in more clicks, it also results in making your remarks less relevant. Sad.

• Reply 71 of 113
    Not off-hand, but this was one of the additions to the page the CDC put up less than a week ago.

Because of the severity of the disease and likelihood to kill its host there are extra precautions being taken to help ensure that there is no accidental exposure.
  • Reply 72 of 113
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's not called Stephen Hawking's Disease.

oh…nevermind

• Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Get shot out of a cannon for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)!

Dangle naked on a line over a crocodile to raise awareness of Amazonian deforestation!

Drop a lit firecracker down your pants to increase donations for testicular cancer!

Meh. I'm waiting for "planking for erectile dysfunction!"

• Reply 74 of 113
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Where's Ballmer when you need him?

ALS Association: "so Ballmer, what do you think of Schiller taking on the ice bucket challenge"

Ballmer: *laughs* bwahahaha

"cold water?!! he'll be shivering and wet and have a hard time typing...which would not make him a good email machine."
  • Reply 75 of 113
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Yikes. No.</span>

<h3 style="color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-bottom:10px;margin-top:10px;">Low risk exposures</h3>

Household member or other casual contact1...
    Providing patient care or casual contact1<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);vertical-align:baseline;">...</span>

<span style="color:rgb(64,64,64);vertical-align:baseline;">1</span>
     Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time

Your obstinacy is only exceeded by your ignorance.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

For people who wonder what ALS is: its most famous patient is Stephen Hawking. It's a terrible motor neuron disease where the patient slowly loses control of all muscles in his body. A family friend had it and he was totally dependent on his wife to care for his daily activities. Please support this as it is a worthwhile cause.

Thanks; I didn't know what this was. It would have been helpful to have had a brief description in the article.

• Reply 77 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeEye View Post

Doesn't the fact Phil posted a sequence of images, which look like they were taken from video (because of the ratio as well as the fact it looks like he is talking to video in the first frame), smack of a new iOS8 feature? 

Snapshots from videos?

Waterproof iPhone?

• Reply 78 of 113
    solipsismx wrote: »

I do recall there were some weaker episodes but what was a head scratcher about it. I just read the synopsis; it seems like it was a quick overview of the origin of life. That's definitely not easy to put into a single episode.

Since there is no arc to follow jump to episode 7 "The Clean Room" and see how you feel about that one. I think that was my favourite (or at least the one I recall liking the most). Next I'd say that episode 5 "Hiding in the Light" which documents Ibn al-Haytham and Joseph von Fraunhofer is my next favourite episode.

I wandered into watching it because I was absolutely impressed by a five-minute clip on climate change from the series that I happen to view.

The second episode was on artificial/natural selection, and the role that the environment plays in choosing from among mutations. That part was very clear and interesting. Then he wandered off into something about methane lakes (in one of Saturn's moons), made some mention of a supposedly hugely important point about how he was going to explain where humans came from, switched over to volcanoes earth, and..... the episode ended abruptly. Quite the head-scratcher.
  • Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Quote:

Can’t I just pour oatmeal down my pants instead? That’s equivalent, according to you.

Like I said before, if having fun offends or annoys anyone then you really need to get a sense of humor or learn to appreciate more in life. 

Seeing adults behaving like children is fun for children. It's the hip thing these days for adults-especially guys-to be infantile. Damning indictment of the world today.

• Reply 80 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Saw Zuckerberg do this yesterday and he called out Bill Gates. Of all the people doing this I think Gates or Cook would be the most interesting.

I think Tim would take it in his stride, he's a fitness guy - he probably takes cold showers every day at 4:30am. Bill Gates on the other hand is a dweed. Here's him getting hit with a pie:

I love the newscaster's serious tone: "no word on the motive for this attack". Is hilarity a suitable motive?

The people donating could of course just give the cash but it's to encourage other people to join in. Giving cash is boring and it's why cash isn't usually regarded as a good gift:

There's no thought to handing over cash. It's an empty gesture. Actually getting outside and tipping water on yourself says that you care.

A charity couldn't care less about some idiot pouring water on himself. All they want is the cash. Oh brother...