RAM prices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They are on the rise. This isn't so nice. Anybody have a clue on why?

Bad economy? Our friend the taliban at it again?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Some of the major RAM manufacturers "independently" decided to raise RAM prices to keep profits high. Hmmmm.... sounds like a damned cartel to me. Hey, wait, don't we have laws against that? Oh, right... we also have antitrust laws too.

DoJ to the rescue again? Don't hold your breath.

'Course, I could be wrong, this is just what I heard from a not-entirely-reliable source.

-Ender
  • Reply 2 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Yes prize will get up for the next month and then it will go down as usual.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Dammit! Wouldn't you know it?

RAM has been cheap as hell for over a year or so now, then RIGHT when I'm getting a new computer (which happens about once a century), the prices are going up again.

Just great...

• Reply 4 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yep, this timing stinks. Think of how many 256 MB chips Mac users will be buying in the next month or two...

Oh well, I think we all knew it was coming.

I just paid (I'll keep it in US for y'all down South) $62 for a 256 MB chip yesterday for my new iMac. That same chip a month and a half ago was $40. It's going higher too, the guy who sold me that had it put away for me at that price.

Guess I'm going to have to live with 512 MB of RAM in my new baby, can't afford to buy a 512!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Bought on december 16. 2001 from OWC:

512 Pismo

512 Slot loading iMac

256 iceBook

Total $199

Today that would have been $284

BUT exacly one year before my last purchase I bought 256 Pismo and 64 rev a iMac for..... $182 :eek: . So the prices are still very low. Today that would cost a mere $72.

All prices excluding shipment.