Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS resea

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your obstinacy is only exceeded by your ignorance.

Thanks for not actually refuting anything I said, but whatever, I guess.

• Reply 82 of 113

Thanks for not actually refuting anything I said, but whatever, I guess.

You guessed right: whatever.
  • Reply 83 of 113
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    A charity couldn't care less about some idiot pouring water on himself. All they want is the cash. Oh brother...

How would that encourage other people to join in and give more cash? Some millionaires giving a donation. People are inherently selfish so you have to encourage them to get something out of giving and having some fun is one way to do that.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Seeing adults behaving like children is fun for children. It's the hip thing these days for adults-especially guys-to be infantile. Damning indictment of the world today.

just as long as they don't to breast feed I'm fine with it.

• Reply 85 of 113
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

The thing you've put in quotation marks isn't in the source you cite.

• Reply 86 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [@]TallestSkil[/@], because of how deadly it is once contracted extra precautions are being taken but it's not classified as being airborne.

[QUOTE]
    We caught up with Steve Morse, an epidemiologist at Columbia University, to talk about the outbreak and where it might go from here. Below are four key things we learned. […] “Ebola is not airborne, and it’s extremely unlikely that it will mutate to be airborne,” Morse says. Although it’s theoretically possible, it’s incredibly rare for a pathogen to change its route of transmission.
    [LIST]
    [*] http://www.popsci.com/article/science/four-predictions-about-ebola-outbreak
    [/LIST][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]“Unlike infections such as influenza or tuberculosis, Ebola is not airborne,” says Dr Isabelle Nuttall, Director of WHO Global Capacity Alert and Response. “It can only be transmitted by direct contact with the body fluids of a person who is sick with the disease.”
    [LIST]
    [*] http://who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2014/ebola-travel/en/
    [/LIST][/QUOTE]
  • Reply 87 of 113

Just for clarity, if a person with ebola sneezes and their saliva flies onto someone else's person, they may get ebola, but the disease isn't "airborne" in the medical sense of the word?  For it to be classed as airborne, presumably it needs to be able to survive in the air for a significant amount of time, or indefinitely?

• Reply 88 of 113
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@TallestSkil, because of how deadly it is once contracted extra precautions are being taken but it's not classified as being airborne.

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Just for clarity, if a person with ebola sneezes and their saliva flies onto someone else's person, they may get ebola, but the disease isn't "airborne" in the medical sense of the word?

I get your point. However…

• Reply 89 of 113

Nice picture, but it's not a complete story.  Can non-airborne diseases be transferred from respiratory droplets exposed from the mouth?  Maybe they can if the transference is direct and quick, and therefore, maybe that's what ebola is?

The question is: what does it take for a disease to be classified as airborne?  I'm sure there's going to be a precise medical definition, so does ebola fit that?

I don't know exactly what that definition is, but the consensus seems to be no.  You're the only one arguing otherwise, and you're doing it with pictures and an absence of direct citations from medical sources.

• Reply 90 of 113

That's not the same thing. It's like saying the people flown from Africa to the CDC in Atlanta made Ebola airborne simply because the disease was flying in a plane. The same goes for spitting a loogie into someone's mouth. That doesn't classify it as being airborne. But that's beside the point, if WHO and CDC say it's not classified as airborne then it's not classified as airborne. If you want to argue that we should change the definition then that's something entirely different.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

A charity couldn't care less about some idiot pouring water on himself. All they want is the cash. Oh brother...

How would that encourage other people to join in and give more cash? Some millionaires giving a donation. People are inherently selfish so you have to encourage them to get something out of giving and having some fun is one way to do that.

You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect. If you are a good person, there is no need to be encouraged to give; you will do it anyway.

• Reply 92 of 113
    You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect.

They entire human race is selfish. Every last one of us.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »

The framers of the Constitution understood this well, and I prefer the term "self-interest" versus selfishness or greed.
  • Reply 94 of 113
    Quote:

You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect. If you are a good person, there is no need to be encouraged to give; you will do it anyway.

How do you give to a charity you haven't heard of?

The ice buckets are raising awareness, which thereby encourages them to give to a charity and cause they may have been oblivious to previously.

• Reply 95 of 113
    You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect.

You might as well say that the entire human race is murderous. Just because from time to time you may think murderous thoughts doesn't make you murderous. Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

To reduce the human race to one emotion is to reduce to absurdity, and therefore you are making an untruth.

It is as true to say that the entire human race is good as it is to say that the entire human race is selfish. Pointless and meaningless.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    You might as well say that the entire human race is murderous. Just because from time to time you may think murderous thoughts doesn't make you murderous. Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

To reduce the human race to one emotion is to reduce to absurdity, and therefore you are making an untruth.

It is as true to say that the entire human race is good as it is to say that the entire human race is selfish. Pointless and meaningless.

1) Not everyone has murdered.

2) Self interest isn't an emotion.
  • Reply 97 of 113

1) Not everyone has murdered.

2) Self interest isn't an emotion.

1 I didn't refer to the act of murdering, which is an action, but murderous thoughts, which is an emotion.

2 I didn't refer to self interest, which is different to selfishness.

To jump out of the way of an oncoming bus is an act of self interest, not selfishness. To eat all the cake at tea time with your family is selfish, as is murdering a ninety year old woman in the street for the $5 in her handbag.
  • Reply 98 of 113
    1 I didn't refer to the act of murdering, which is an action, but murderous thoughts, which is an emotion.

To jump out of the way of an oncoming bus is an act of self interest, not selfishness. To eat all the cake at tea time with your family is selfish, as is murdering a ninety year old woman in the street for the $5 in her handbag.

1) The original comment was being selfish. That's an act.

2) Self interest is selfishness. Everyone's selfish.

3) You're choosing to use two similar terms to define positive and negative self interest/selfishness.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

1) The original comment was being selfish. That's an act.

2) Self interest is selfishness. Everyone's selfish.

3) You're choosing to use two similar terms to define positive and negative self interest/selfishness.

Selfishness is commonly used as a negative trait, so your petty argument is moot.

• Reply 100 of 113
    Selfishness is commonly used as a negative trait, so your petty argument is moot.

I guess you're right because words only have one meaning and so long as we have your colloquial definition¡

PS: Stop being so selfish.