Apple CEO Tim Cook latest Silicon Valley bigwig to get ice bath for ALS charity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    OK, it's been a day, shouldn't Samsung's CEO be following Cook's lead?

thompr wrote: »
    What's not to get?  The silliness is making people talk about it (whether they love it or hate it) which is the goal of every advertising campaign.  The people that are contributing funds and then also going under the bucket understand the power of making a spectacle of yourself (but in this case, not in a pathetic way) and issuing challenges to do the same.  And it's working.  

So again... what's not to get?

Thompson

That's what I don't get. Why is it working. I'd never thing dumping cold water on my head would start a movement.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    mistercow wrote: »
    So who exactly does the PC guy represent then?

The PC guy represents the WinPC machine, not the customer.

haggar wrote: »
    And the people in Apple's "Lemmings" commercial?

This was a horribly misguided ad as it did actually attack potential customers. Luckily for Apple that ad was a very long time ago in personal computing history.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's great that this charity is getting lots of money; shame about the method for getting it.

What shame? If shame is getting 4x more donations than last year, shame on me.

Sure beats auctions and donation gifts.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Doesn't that occur during the Holiday Season? :D

Oh boy. :)

So who exactly does the PC guy represent then?

Windows.
    haggar wrote: »

solipsismx wrote: »
    That's what I don't get. Why is it working. I'd never thing dumping cold water on my head would start a movement.

1. Sammy's CEO would just dump ice shavings on his head.
    2. No one knows why viral vids go viral. I'm calling out grumpy cat, keyboard cat and lol cat to do this. The internets would explode!
  • Reply 24 of 49
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Silliness caught on camera attracts eyeballs, commentary (pro and con), and media attention.  Mix in a good product (or in this case, a cause) and you've got a powder keg.  Now throw in a public challenge and you have lit the fuse.  It's pretty simple to understand, really.  Expect more charities to follow this formula via social media in the future.  

Jerry Lewis understood this years ago (long before social media came on thee scene) and was the perfect silly front man for his annual MDA telethon.  We all dialed in just to see what crazy antics he would pull, and we stayed when our heartstrings were plucked too.  Then he challenged us all to contribute or even participate by throwing parties of our own.  Same deal, different stage.

Thompson

• Reply 25 of 49
    Silliness caught on camera attracts eyeballs, commentary (pro and con), and media attention.  Mix in a good product (or in this case, a cause) and you've got a powder keg.  Now throw in a public challenge and you have lit the fuse.  It's pretty simple to understand, really.  Expect more charities to follow this formula via social media in the future.  

Jerry Lewis understood this years ago (long before social media came on thee scene) and was the perfect silly front man for his annual MDA telethon.  We all dialed in just to see what crazy antics he would pull, and we stayed when our heartstrings were plucked too.  Then he challenged us all to contribute or even participate by throwing parties of our own.  Same deal, different stage.

Thompson

So why doesn't all silliness and/or good causes go viral?

edit: I don't think you're getting what I don't get about this particular campaign going viral.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

That's a very minor distinction, but the implication Apple was making with those commercials was clear:  If you use a WinPC, you're dorky and nerdy.  If you use a Mac, you're cool.  

Apple personified the machines with  two actors creating a relationship where the machine and user are identified as one and the same.

• Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

So why doesn't all silliness and/or good causes go viral?

edit: I don't think you're getting what I don't get about this particular campaign going viral.

Well, OK, now I understand that you want to distinguish this particular instance from others of this nature.  I would think that if the silliness isn't so fantastic that it goes viral on its own, then you need a celebrity to give it a boost in the beginning.  As with Jerry Lewis, and as with this cause.

Celebrity + acting silly on camera + championing a good cause + challenging everyone to do the same = Great formula.

Let me guess: you were the kid that never stopped asking your parents why, even when the question was - for all intents and purposes - answered.  Right?  (And that's not a bad thing.)

Thompson

• Reply 28 of 49
    Let me guess: you were the kid that never stopped asking your parents why, even when the question was - for all intents and purposes - answered.  Right?  (And that's not a bad thing.)

I haven't stopped asking why. For better or for worse, it's an integral part of having a scientific mind.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:

I haven't stopped asking why. For better or for worse, it's an integral part of having a scientific mind.

Agreed.

• Reply 30 of 49
    That's a very minor distinction

It's a major distinction.
    Apple personified the machines with two actors creating a relationship where the machine and user are identified as one and the same.

The personification was to the machine. The user could choose what kind of machine to identify with, but the user is not their machine. That's a huge reason why the campaign was such a success, unlike the Lemmings ad.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

The personification was to the machine. The user could choose what kind of machine to identify with, but the user is not their machine. 

I still have to disagree.  To me, the intent of those commercials was to say it was cool to be a Mac person and not a PC person.  It's why the PC guy was dressed in a boring suit and tie, with the plain hair style and glasses, with the awkward social skills.  Contrast that with Justin Long, a reasonably recognizable actor,  who had a more relaxed and modern style.  Yes, Apple was not specifically saying the user is their machine, but the way the commercials were presented, the linkage between user and machine was clear.

• Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

I still have to disagree.  To me, the intent of those commercials was to say it was cool to be a Mac person and not a PC person.  It's why the PC guy was dressed in a boring suit and tie, with the plain hair style and glasses, with the awkward social skills.  Contrast that with Justin Long, a reasonably recognizable actor,  who had a more relaxed and modern style.  Yes, Apple was not specifically saying the user is their machine, but the way the commercials were presented, the linkage between user and machine was clear.

I would say that Apple was portraying the machines themselves as cool vs uncool.  But given that people often associate themselves with the things they own and use, and Apple knows this, I would agree that they were purposely walking that thin line.  And they walked it perfectly.

• Reply 33 of 49

The intent is to get people to buy Macs. The cunningness of the ad is to get people who see themselsevs as cool or who want to be seen as cool to not associate with these uncool machines. The Lemmings ad and most of Samsung's ads attack the potential customer, not the product. That makes all the difference, just like on this forum where one can say, "Your comment is <insert a pejorative>," but can't say, "You are <insert same pejorative>." It's a clear distinction.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

It's a major distinction.

I should have clarified.  It was a minor distinction in regards to the intent of the ad.

• Reply 35 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    John Hodgman is the PC. He's also recognizable. The commercials were not referring to users.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

The intent is to get people to buy Macs. The cunningness of the ad is to get people who see themselsevs as cool or who want to be seen as cool to not associate with these uncool machines. The Lemmings ad and most of Samsung's ads attack the potential customer, not the product. That makes all the difference, just like on this forum where one can say, "Your comment is ," but can't say, "You are ." It's a clear distinction.

There may be a clear distinction between calling the machine uncool, and not the person, but the message is also clear and the same - Use a Mac and don't be uncool.  Samsung's ad is use a Samsung device and don't be a wall hugger.  The iPhone users themselves aren't innately wall huggers, but it's the device that makes you one.  

Being uncool is a result of owning a Windows just as being a wall hugger is a result of owning an iPhone.  The concept and the message is the same.  

• Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Quote:

That's a very minor distinction, but the implication Apple was making with those commercials was clear:  If you use a WinPC, you're dorky and nerdy.  If you use a Mac, you're cool.  

Apple personified the machines with  two actors creating a relationship where the machine and user are identified as one and the same.

You're quite correct, and it was bad of Apple to do so. However, the ads are very funny and light-hearted, as Solip has mentioned, I think, so most people give them a pass.

• Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

Quote:

The personification was to the machine. The user could choose what kind of machine to identify with, but the user is not their machine. 

Which is why a lot of people sided more with PC guy - his vulnerability made him loveable, whereas Mac guy could easily be seen as a smarmy hipster git.

• Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Quote:

The intent is to get people to buy Macs. The cunningness of the ad is to get people who see themselsevs as cool or who want to be seen as cool to not associate with these uncool machines. The Lemmings ad and most of Samsung's ads attack the potential customer, not the product. That makes all the difference, just like on this forum where one can say, "Your comment is ," but can't say, "You are ." It's a clear distinction.

There may be a clear distinction between calling the machine uncool, and not the person, but the message is also clear and the same - Use a Mac and don't be uncool.  Samsung's ad is use a Samsung device and don't be a wall hugger.  The iPhone users themselves aren't innately wall huggers, but it's the device that makes you one.  

Being uncool is a result of owning a Windows just as being a wall hugger is a result of owning an iPhone.  The concept and the message is the same.  

Problem is, the Samsung ads come across as snarky and irritating, whereas the PC/Mac ads came across as good-humoured and endearing.

• Reply 40 of 49
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Quote:

This was a horribly misguided ad as it did actually attack potential customers. Luckily for Apple that ad was a very long time ago in personal computing history.

Soli, I think you're trying too hard to get the "real meaning" of that ad. I prefer to keep it simple, stupid, otherwise known as the "kiss method". To me, at least, that ad isn't "attacking" potential customers, but rather just identifying said group. It's just saying:  All consumers have a choice between acting like a lemming, or trying something unique that we believe is better. Your choice. 

And, IIRC, That ad was very successful , was it not?