Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers

Comments

• Reply 161 of 187
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member

So, I think this is good news.... question for the iCloud gurus:

I currently have 4 iPhones sharing one AppleID (yes, bad, will be fixing it with ios8)

Assuming I split everyone to their own appleID (and use family sharing for connectivity), will I be able to aggregate the extra iCloud storage i buy for backups? 5GB isn't enough for individual phones (kids phones are more problematic than mine)!

• Reply 162 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

So, I think this is good news.... question for the iCloud gurus:

I currently have 4 iPhones sharing one AppleID (yes, bad, will be fixing it with ios8)

Assuming I split everyone to their own appleID (and use family sharing for connectivity), will I be able to aggregate the extra iCloud storage i buy for backups? 5GB isn't enough for individual phones (kids phones are more problematic than mine)!

5GB is more than enough for individual iPhones.

• Reply 163 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

mmmkay. and 640k is enough ram for anyone!

Respectfully, sometimes its NOT enough.... A week-long trip with my 2 kids (snapping tons of photos and videos) will bring 5GB to its knees... and has. Also, add in the fact that several have an iPad too- and it adds up fast.

I suspect Im not the only to find this or Apple wouldn't need to offer multiple plans.

• Reply 164 of 187
    Quote:

Quote:

mmmkay. and 640k is enough ram for anyone!

Respectfully, sometimes its NOT enough.... A week-long trip with my 2 kids (snapping tons of photos and videos) will bring 5GB to its knees... and has. Also, add in the fact that several have an iPad too- and it adds up fast.

I suspect Im not the only to find this or Apple wouldn't need to offer multiple plans.

Why don't you just buy more storage?

• Reply 165 of 187
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

?

Presumably he will, if he doesn't have enough.  Most people tend to not want to pay for things they don't have to though, so why shouldn't he ask the question?

Anyway, according to your dictate 5GB is more than enough, so why buy more?

• Reply 166 of 187
    Quote:

Unfortunately i think you misread my OP.

I've already bought more storage.... and may likely do so under this new plan.

My question is when family sharing is released, can i share already purchased iCloud storage across "the family"

• Reply 167 of 187
    Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately i think you misread my OP.

I've already bought more storage.... and may likely do so under this new plan.

My question is when family sharing is released, can i share already purchased iCloud storage across "the family"

Ok-good question. Don't know, I'm afraid. I think family sharing works separately, but I could be wrong. Note that the storage you can buy goes up a lot with iOS 8 this autumn, so you should be able to buy plenty then-pretty cheaply, too.

• Reply 168 of 187
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Sorry Benji but I have to disagree with you on that, even my mother in law who is the most technical illiterate person I have ever met, used up her 5GB in about two months. Pictures, she's a shutterbug, she uses her camera to remind her of things . I personally used 24GB in the first week of owning my Nokia 1020, also pictures, though my camera takes RAW photos so their file size is much larger. Well I also took pictures of absolutely everything, new toy, I had too, even photos of my dogs junk, before you call the guys in white coats, it was innocent, I awoke one morning to find the furry little dudes ass in my face, so you know, I took a picture, then smacked that butt.

See your thinking that the majority of people just use their cloud storage for text files, contact backups, notes, etc. , nopers, pictures and videos, Instagram, Vine, ooohhh mmmyyyy, FaceBook, Twitter, pictures everywhere, stop, stop, aaaaahhhhhh.

• Reply 169 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Sorry Benji but I have to disagree with you on that, even my mother in law who is the most technical illiterate person I have ever met, used up her 5GB in about two months. Pictures, she's a shutterbug, she uses her camera to remind her of things . I personally used 24GB in the first week of owning my Nokia 1020, also pictures, though my camera takes RAW photos so their file size is much larger. Well I also took pictures of absolutely everything, new toy, I had too, even photos of my dogs junk, before you call the guys in white coats, it was innocent, I awoke one morning to find the furry little dudes ass in my face, so you know, I took a picture, then smacked that butt.

See your thinking that the majority of people just use their cloud storage for text files, contact backups, notes, etc. , nopers, pictures and videos, Instagram, Vine, ooohhh mmmyyyy, FaceBook, Twitter, pictures everywhere, stop, stop, aaaaahhhhhh.

Photos in iCloud Photostream don't count towards your 5GB. I'm not sure what you mean by using it up. 

With iCloud Photostream, everything is transferred to your Mac, so there is no need for a lot of storage on the iPhone, with the proviso that video is a special case. If you don't own a Mac, that's another matter. With iOS 8, you will be able to have much more storage, so it should take care of most people's needs.

• Reply 170 of 187
    Quote:

Photos in iCloud Photostream don't count towards your 5GB. I'm not sure what you mean by using it up. 

With iCloud Photostream, everything is transferred to your Mac, so there is no need for a lot of storage on the iPhone, with the proviso that video is a special case. If you don't own a Mac, that's another matter. With iOS 8, you will be able to have much more storage, so it should take care of most people's needs.

You're still missing the point...

Re: photo stream, you are correct- they don't count towards your iCloud limit- but this isn't a backup solution- they are only kept for like 30 days there....

the issue is using iCloud to BACKUP video and photos. It's very easy to go way over 5 GB with photos and videos!

• Reply 171 of 187
    Quote:

Quote:

You're still missing the point...

Re: photo stream, you are correct- they don't count towards your iCloud limit- but this isn't a backup solution- they are only kept for like 30 days there....

the issue is using iCloud to BACKUP video and photos. It's very easy to go way over 5 GB with photos and videos!

Not if you have a Mac; photos and videos are stored there permanently. With iOS 8, you'll have enough iCloud storage for most people's needs, even if you don't own a Mac.

• Reply 172 of 187
    Quote:

Not if you have a Mac; photos and videos are stored there permanently. With iOS 8, you'll have enough iCloud storage for most people's needs, even if you don't own a Mac.

no one has ios8

not everyone has a Mac.

not everyone immediately runs to it to download all their pictures.

not everyone carried one with them when on a vacation

etc, etc, etc.

Why are you on such a mission to convince everyone that YOU know how much storage THEY need.

You don't.

Even if you were CLOSE to correct, I suspect Apple wouldn't be out selling up to 200G of iCloud space! :-)

• Reply 173 of 187
    Quote:

Quote:

no one has ios8

not everyone has a Mac.

not everyone immediately runs to it to download all their pictures.

not everyone carried one with them when on a vacation

etc, etc, etc.

Why are you on such a mission to convince everyone that YOU know how much storage THEY need.

You don't.

Even if you were CLOSE to correct, I suspect Apple wouldn't be out selling up to 200G of iCloud space! :-)

What's your point?

• Reply 174 of 187
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What's your point?

The point is that you can tell me non-local storage is my only option when you pry my local storage solutions out of my cold, dead hands.

• Reply 175 of 187
    Quote:

What's your point?

lol, my point? guess you missed it in your rush to tell me 5GB was enough for anyone.

I simply asked if folks knew if we could share iCloud storage space under the upcoming family share option.

YOU choose to interject yourself into the thread.... so whats YOUR point? lol.

• Reply 176 of 187
    Quote:

Quote:

What's your point?

lol, my point? guess you missed it in your rush to tell me 5GB was enough for anyone.

I simply asked if folks knew if we could share iCloud storage space under the upcoming family share option.

YOU choose to interject yourself into the thread.... so whats YOUR point? lol.

Okay; to modify my quote, I would say that 5GB is enough for most people with a Mac, which is everyone in my books. For others, they may buy more storage, or wait for iOS 8 coming in a month or so's time and buy even more storage. 

Satisfied?

• Reply 177 of 187
    Quote:

Okay; to modify my quote, I would say that 5GB is enough for most people with a Mac, which is everyone in my books. For others, they may buy more storage, or wait for iOS 8 coming in a month or so's time and buy even more storage. 

Satisfied?

So, in other words, you have nothing to add to the conversation. It wasn't a question of "how much storage do people with macs need."

But thanks for playing.... feel free to answer other questions people aren't asking... :-)

Why are you even participating in this discussion? lol...

• Reply 178 of 187
    Quote:

Quote:

Satisfied?

So, in other words, you have nothing to add to the conversation. It wasn't a question of "how much storage do people with macs need."

But thanks for playing.... feel free to answer other questions people aren't asking... :-)

Why are you even participating in this discussion? lol...

You were complaining that 5GB wasn't enough to back up photos and videos to iCloud; I suggested solutions. Seems pretty constructive to me.

• Reply 179 of 187
    Quote:

I suggested solutions.

No you didn't. You told him that he should be satisfied with what he has.

• Reply 180 of 187
     I suggested solutions.

No you didn't. You told him that he should be satisfied with what he has.

I never said any such thing. Schutz.