Sketchy report claims photos show 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6L' display, logic board and 2,915mAh battery

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A highly questionable report out of the Far East on Friday includes photos of what are claimed to be parts from Apple's rumored 5.5-inch "iPhone 6," including a display and logic board curiously similar to "leaked" components associated with a rumored 4.7-inch model.

Citing the usual "reliable sources," Taiwanese Apple blog Apple Daily says the images show three components bound for Apple's rumored 5.5-inch iPhone, which some predict will launch alongside -- or shortly after -- a new 4.7-inch version of the smartphone. The publication's sources refer to the phablet as the "iPhone 6L."

However, even a cursory inspection of the photos reveals two parts, the display and logic board, are nearly identical to those pictured in previous reports related to the smaller of Apple's next-gen handsets.

With the display, architectural elements like screw bosses, circuit board anchors and circuitry are placed in the exact locations as a part revealed last week. In addition, flex cables are of the same size, located in the same position and feature proportionally sized connectors as the supposed 4.7-inch variant.

It is highly unlikely that a 4.7-inch iPhone would share the same layout with a sized-up 5.5-inch model, while at the same time sporting different sized connectors.

As for the logic board, this part too lines up perfectly with a component unearthed yesterday, complete with identical EMI shields, fastener holes and connector design.

The report does, however, contain one never-before-seen part in a 2,915 mAh battery, which could feasibly be bound for Apple's jumbo-sized handset. Produced by known Apple partner supplier Huizhou Desay, the battery'a capacity is much larger than the 1,800 mAh unit seen in a supposed leak associated with the 4.7-inch variant. By comparison, the current iPhone 5s uses a 1,500 mAh battery, while Motorola's 4.7-inch Moto X boasts a 2,200 mAh part.

Although the battery is a possible fit for Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone, not much is known about the phablet device. Most recently, photos of alleged wake/sleep flex cables and volume controls hit the Web in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5

• Reply 2 of 88
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member

I would LOVE to see someone get their hands on both the fake 4.7 and 5.5 and do a teardown and compare parts.. I would bet good money this is from one of the FAKE iPhone 6's selling for around $200 in China..

This screen in no way matches what we saw on the scratch tests .. the bezel is to thick and the placement of the speaker, proximity sensor and camera are wrong..

But they are identical to the fake ANDROID iOS Skinned iPhone 6 thats been selling!

• Reply 3 of 88
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    [I]"Wall huggers? My ass."[/I]
    - Phil Schiller, September 9 2014
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Look, its the phone tallest skill can't fit in his little girl hands.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    That's a 5.5" phone? They must have hired Yao Ming to be the hand model.
  • Reply 6 of 88

Umm.. if you zoom in on the second to last part before the battery, it says Toshiba on the chip.. umm.. huh?

I'm thinking this isn't a leak, it's a scam.. and someone was just played.. LOL

• Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Holy crap….does she need a manicure or what!?

• Reply 8 of 88
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member

Was it Tim Cook or Steve Jobs (or some other Apple officer) who said Apple was doubling down on secrecy?

• Reply 9 of 88
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Umm.. if you zoom in on the second to last part before the battery, it says Toshiba on the chip.. umm.. huh?

I'm thinking this isn't a leak, it's a scam.. and someone was just played.. LOL

Apple is using Toshiba NAND flash memory chips in current iPhones...
  • Reply 10 of 88
    iPhone Air? I would actually get one if it had 12 hrs of battery life (or 10 in fact).
  • Reply 11 of 88
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    2,915 mAh battery in iOS...!!! Wow! Awesome!! :)
  • Reply 12 of 88
    sporlo wrote: »
    Was it Tim Cook or Steve Jobs (or some other Apple officer) who said Apple was doubling down on secrecy?

Tim Cook.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    mejsric wrote: »
    2,915 mAh battery in iOS...!!! Wow! Awesome!! :)

You'll be able to write an even longer post on AI before your battery goes flat.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Like how AI purposely didn't post the so-called comparison photo where this is shown next to a so-called 4.7" model...the photo that illustrates clearly that if one is 4.7 the other is not 5.5.....barely 5.0.

More fake crap.

• Reply 15 of 88
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Sketchy report"

because all others were legitimate.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    mstone wrote: »
    I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5
    Just curious, what did you use as a size reference? I would have thought perhaps the home button.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sporlo wrote: »

Your point?
  • Reply 18 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your point?

His or her point is obviously that these leaks are a big joke and if there's been any doubling down of security, it sure hasn't stopped any of these ridiculous leaks from coming out, if they are indeed legitimate Apple parts.

Take a look at that photo, that is a remarkable piece of evidence right there which should be used to track down the owner of that hand and their unkept fingernails. 

The leakers should be severely punished, so that it would give pause to any other potential leakers in the future. 

I just hope that when I'm sitting and watching the next Apple keynote, which will be happening pretty soon obviously, I will be blown away and surprised by something completely new that nobody expected.

• Reply 19 of 88
    You'll be able to write an even longer post on AI before your battery goes flat.

Nah, they'll still post faux concern posts about how allegedly short their battery life is.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Does all this speculation matter so close to the Sept 9 announcement?