Review: Using the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ camera drone with Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member

DJI support was great for me, The hold times are long but they replaced my quad at no charge in the end, took about 15 days.  Usually only people who complain write reviews.

• Reply 22 of 42
    If you were flying fairly high (over 150 feet) and the battery was at 35% or less, the Vision will often start falling quickly as it's internal intelligence tells it to get closer to land.

The area where you are flying looks like one with a lot of possible interference from radio signals (wireless networks) as well as power lines, etc.

Basically, you are playing with fire ($$$$) if you fly these things anywhere except in open areas. Yes, more chance of getting it back if you are a decent ATTI flyer and also have Home Lock enabled.

It's all a matter of percentages. You or I could fly an Airbus with a pilot in the other seat telling us what to do - but what would we do when something happens (excess turbulence, system malfunction). Same goes with this or any other quadcopter. The pilot needs to be experienced if they care about their investment.

On the plus side, DJI is going to make a bundle replacing parts and entire machines for all the people who don't learn properly.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    dcgoo wrote: »
    Yet in the review:  
    "...we would advise users to ensure the drone itself, the physical controller and the iOS app are all updated to the latest versions before taking to the skies."

?...oops

That's why it was an addendum to the review post-crash.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

A firmware version would help the community narrow this down. 3.06 has some dropping out of the sky due to a bug.

• Reply 25 of 42
    Loved the Wagner! Apt music for a strong performance. Now you just need to add a few lightning bolts...

This was a big improvement over your last Phantom review. The video was much smoother; in a different league, in fact. If no stabilisation was added post-production, then this was impressive.

Interesting that you mentioned the lack of obstacle avoidance. Presumably if these catch on, that may become mandatory if you want to avoid drones crashing into each other.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Loved the Wagner! Apt music for a strong performance. Now you just need to add a few lightning bolts...

This was a big improvement over your last Phantom review. The video was much smoother; in a different league, in fact. If no stabilisation was added post-production, then this was impressive.

Interesting that you mentioned the lack of obstacle avoidance. Presumably if these catch on, that may become mandatory if you want to avoid drones crashing into each other.

No post-stabilization. It really is that smooth.

• Reply 27 of 42
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    They should have a built-in "black box" system that records all commands and events so that there is never a question as to why copter did something unexpected. And built-in obstacle avoidance is a must. The copter should know if it is heading toward self-destruction and prevent it. I'll consider buying one when they have all of the above.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    I was following the intel on these drones for over a year now just waiting for my opportunity to strike and buy one of my own. I've been pretty patient I think and after reading stories about this one since what.....April? I have seen a lot of crashes and failures and most of them were the result of flying before GPS kicked in (at least so it appears).

After waiting for so long, I couldn't take it anymore. I was reading CNet's coverage (can't find the link) and it pulled me in, then watching videos on youtube left and right...pulled me in further. I read Poc's review (http://pocinc.net/blog/product-reviews/review-dji-phantom-vision-2-quadcopter-drone) which pulled me all the of the way in. Needless to say, I broke down and finally bought one.

By the time I came across your review, I had already ordered it, but I can now say that I love it. I have been playing with it for some days now and I haven't crashed it yet (knock on virtual wood). I'll follow-up on any troubles I come across though.
  • Reply 29 of 42

I was following the intel on these drones for over a year now just waiting for my opportunity to strike and buy one of my own. I've been pretty patient I think and after reading stories about this one since what.....April? I have seen a lot of crashes and failures and most of them were the result of flying before GPS kicked in (at least so it appears). 

After waiting for so long, I couldn't take it anymore. I was reading CNet's coverage (can't find the link) and it pulled me in, then watching videos on youtube left and right...pulled me in further. I read Poc's review (http://pocinc.net/blog/product-reviews/review-dji-phantom-vision-2-quadcopter-drone) which pulled me all the of the way in. Needless to say, I broke down and finally bought one. 

By the time I came across your review, I had already ordered it, but I can now say that I love it. I have been playing with it for some days now and I haven't crashed it yet (knock on virtual wood). I'll follow-up on any troubles I come across though. 

• Reply 30 of 42

It won't let me post :(

Tis broken *knock knock*

• Reply 31 of 42
    "... we took the Vision to great heights %u2014 over 650 feet in one flight ..."

Ouch. The FAA has not said much so far about rules for flying drones, but what they do have to say is published at:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/

The FAA guidelines limit flying drones to within 400 ft of the surface. (I presume that is because they want to prevent collisions with manned airplanes, and it is legal to fly a manned airplane down to 500 ft above the surface in many places.)
  • Reply 32 of 42
    p1pplp1ppl Posts: 1member

The camera/gimbal setup  on the Vision + is very poorly designed. I've had broken cables out of the box.  And just as you experienced, I had a slightly heavy landing and the camera falls off the gimbal and is trash. Currently the cost of replacement is around $700 since the ribbon cable is not available as a spare part only the full camera and Gimbal assembly. 

Great product, very poor customer service. 

• Reply 33 of 42

Best video review I've seen :

• Reply 34 of 42
    had similar problem with DJI phantom FC-40

was advised to check motors, run rotors on idle (don't take off) until battery runs down then check for overheated bearing. On viewing the video DJI advised returning the unit immediately to the dealers who replaced it right away. Your problem may have been different as you were able to fly the drone again without problem. I have had no problems whatsoever with the new phantom, many wonderful flights
  • Reply 35 of 42
    My opinion only but thought I would share. I too had a near miss crash after over a hundred flights without any incidents. So when I rechecked my app settings I noticed I had inadvertently checked the "battery low return home". I think this is a neat feature and decided to experiment a bit. What I noticed was if my wifi breaks this may or may not cause your battery level to be misinterpreted by the drone. In summary I have noticed that with this feature checked on the app...it may or may not do weird things as well. It also does not climb first to move to home point but rather take a direct path. I personally found this feature for my use to be dangerous and so I do not use it but rather use the audible alarm.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Fellow Droid owners:

Although the DJI Phantom 2 Vision is sweet, the IRIS is more your type of drone. Its highly customizable and more advanced for the money. Leave the DJI for apple users... http://dronelifestyle.com/3d-robotics-iris-plus-quadcopter-review/
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I have purchased 2 of these and my second one just flew away like it had a mind of it's own. I haven't found it, nor do I expect to find it either. DJI is very poor at communicating and they keep ending my ticket with resolved even though they have done so. Parts are expensive and a second plane is cheaper than buying spares individually. Two was my limit. I'm waiting for one that works
  • Reply 38 of 42
    If any of you guys are interested in either utilizing this resource or contributing to it, some friends of mine at iFixit just launched a page for repair guides for the DJI Phantom models, as well as other consumer quadcopters. Basically they're trying to provide one comprehensive resource for consumer "drone" repair (drones being quadcopters and RC planes and such). https://www.ifixit.com/c/Drone

I've been hearing a lot of stories lately about the Phantoms malfunctioning as mentioned in this article, or deciding to "fly home" when the connection to the controller is lost. That's probably something that DJI has to fix themselves with a firmware update. At least the Phantoms are pretty repairable, so much of the time they can be fixed without being replaced. Does anyone know if DJI refurbishes returned units?
  • Reply 39 of 42

Here is great footage compilation:

• Reply 40 of 42
    I had my drone lose contact with my i phone vision app and came home on return home mode.The problem was that it flew it self straight into a tree and there was nothing i could do to change its course .I had to stand there and watch this phantom 2 fly right into the top of the tree .When it came down it hit the camera breaking it in two places.
    Is there a way to turn off the come home mode after it engages it self in to fly home.
    Because if the operater has no way of controling the drone after it goes into this mode that is a big problem.
    I tryed for about a minute to regain control over the drone with out any luck.I watched a thousand dollars fly into the tree and could do nothing to help.my controler went dead