Another purported 'iPhone 6' leak suggests Apple's 4.7" model will have larger 1810mAh battery

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
In even more evidence that Apple's next iPhone will sport a larger 1,810mAh battery, a new parts leak shows a series of purported "iPhone 6" batteries in shipping trays, complete with legal text and Apple logo.

Photos of the batteries were highlighted on Saturday by Nowhereelse.fr, showing lithium-ion polymer components with a capacity of 1,810mAh. For comparison, the battery in Apple's current flagship iPhone 5s has a capacity of 1,440mAh.

That Apple's next iPhone would feature a larger battery is unsurprising: It's expected that the so-called "iPhone 6" will feature a new form factor with larger display which would be able to cram in an even bigger internal battery.

Saturday's latest parts leak is claimed to be for the 4.7-inch model. Rumors have also suggested that Apple is planning to release a 5.5-inch version of this year's iPhone, a significant increase from the 4-inch display of the iPhone 5s.

The latest leak is actually the second time that such batteries have been shown with a capacity rating of 1,810mAh. The first sign of those parts came in July.

Markings on the latest batteries suggest they were manufactured in June, while the ones pictured back in July were alleged to have been built that same month.

Potentially confusing matters is a yet-unsupported claim made earlier this month that the batteries leaked thus far have only been used for testing purposes. Analyst Sun Chang Xu claimed that Apple in fact plans to cram a 2,100mAh battery into the final shipping product -- but thus far, no such parts have been pictured.

Regardless, a larger iPhone would almost certainly feature a larger battery, allowing Apple to boost its longest uptime for a handset yet.

Apple is expected to host an event on Sept. 9 where it is reportedly planning to show off its next-generation iPhone. If the company follows its usual release pattern, the "iPhone 6" would first begin arriving in customers' hands the following Friday, Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Shocker
  • Reply 2 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    those are the real thing.

I'm still hoping there's a 4" iPhone 5 sized model.
  • Reply 3 of 55

Part theft, or industrial espionage?

• Reply 4 of 55
    cali wrote: »

Yes a new 4" model is what I want too but it's looking unlikely.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So I wonder what this means in terms of battery life? Hopefully the new phone will have better battery life than the 5s. Mine is usually good but I know plenty of people whose phone is dead by the end of the day.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

In before the environmental nutjobs claim that Apple could be packaging the batteries closer together to save on shipping.

• Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

If we're lucky, the 4.7" will be almost the same size as the 4".

• Reply 8 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

And it can be done. There's already 4.7" smartphones out there barely larger overall than the current iPhone. Apple knows how to design for small form factors and they will.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Clear cut proof a 5.5" is [I]not[/I] coming. So loud and clear a mute man could smell it.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Of all these leaks thus far (batteries, ribbon cables, circuit boards, gazilions of fake mockups), there really hasn't been anything substantiated about the meat and potatoes of this device... How's about we get some information about the new A8, the new cameras, the updated wireless radios, the resolutions of the screen, and so on?

These leaks are just fluff... The real information about the device has actually remained secret when you think about it. I guess Tim wasn't joking when he said Apple was going to double-down on secrecy; secrecy thru obfuscation of real facts 8-)
  • Reply 11 of 55
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    10 posts and nt one whinging they can't get a day' charge out of their iPhone?
    Suggestion to whingers: book in a Genius Bar appointment and get the battery checked out. It might be defective.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

10 posts and nt one whinging they can't get a day' charge out of their iPhone?

Suggestion to whingers: book in a Genius Bar appointment and get the battery checked out. It might be defective.

If there are no whingers here, why are you making a suggestion for whingers? 

In the interests of diversity, it would be good of you to make a suggestion for gingers, too.

• Reply 13 of 55
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

... there really hasn't been anything substantiated about the meat and potatoes of this device... These leaks are just fluff... .. double-down on secrecy; secrecy thru obfuscation of real facts image

Fluff indeed. He he. I wouldn't be surprised if there's whole sections of iOS 8 that are yet to be presented. Functions that are locked to the new models etc.

• Reply 14 of 55
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    andysol wrote: »
    Clear cut proof a 5.5" is not coming. So loud and clear a mute man could smell it.

Someone was saying Apple are in a "doomed if they do, doomed if they don't" situation. If they do release a 5.5" at the same time, or shortly after the 4.7", people will complain they couldn't decide which to make their flagship device. If they don't, people will hold off on buying until they do.

I half hope for a 4G 5.5" iPod touch without the requisite iPhone model to prop up that "leg" of the proverbial "stool". We've got FaceTime audio, cheap data-only plans, they could even do a deal with MS for Skype plans via Settings; subscription meets extension.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Someone was saying Apple are in a "doomed if they do, doomed if they don't" situation. If they do release a 5.5" at the same time, or shortly after the 4.7", people will complain they couldn't decide which to make their flagship device. If they don't, people will hold off on buying until they do.

I don't know about the critics complaining about the flagship ambiguity, but the buying part is definitely true, at least for my wife and me. If Apple introduces a 5.5" we'll buy two. If all they make is the 4.7" we may just decide it's not worth close to $2Large to get something that isn't really what we want and just stay with what we have for now.

• Reply 16 of 55
    I don't doubt this will prove to be "old news" and thoroughly debunked as a fake
    but to my eyes TMZ has the goods on final product:
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/15/apple-iphone-6-pics-photos-leak-leaked/
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Originally Posted by MontroseMacs View Post

I don't doubt this will prove to be "old news" and thoroughly debunked as a fake

Both correct.

• Reply 18 of 55
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    andysol wrote: »
    Clear cut proof a 5.5" is not coming. So loud and clear a mute man could smell it.

Clear cut? Proof? Really? Care to explain that logic?

I'm not sure how or why you would think that this article even implies, infers or suggests anything at all regarding a 5.5" iPhone - but I'm damn sure that it's not "clear cut proof" of anything - and by making a claim that it is, it kinda makes me think that anything else you write or reason will be equally ridiculous.

I don't recognize your username. Are you a troll or shill that I should just be blocking? Or do you just struggle with language and/or logic? (Or was this post just a joke?)
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

(Or was this post just a joke?)

Green stick in the green hole.

• Reply 20 of 55
    In before the environmental nutjobs claim that Apple could be packaging the batteries closer together to save on shipping.
    Darn it.
    Doubt it, it seems to be that there keeping form factor and that something that gives is going to be the front/back face, allowing the form factor, still a slightly smaller bezel makes since.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    And it can be done. There's already 4.7" smartphones out there barely larger overall than the current iPhone. Apple knows how to design for small form factors and they will.
    Still doubt it, though a nice idea it's a rather big jump on screen size.
    timmydax wrote: »

I half hope for a 4G 5.5" iPod touch without the requisite iPhone model to prop up that "leg" of the proverbial "stool". We've got FaceTime audio, cheap data-only plans, they could even do a deal with MS for Skype plans via Settings; subscription meets extension.
    A 4g iPod will never come, you get IPad or iPod only.