Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads

Comments

• Reply 161 of 288
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@Relic - Damn girl! You need a blog! Nice write-up about the Surface.

I saw your post on another thread waxing poetic over your Windows phone... and rather than go back and post there, curious what you have to say about this review over at that hell-hole ZDnet.

Windows Phone app challenge: Can it stand up to the big boys? | ZDNet

Me personally, from what I saw last Fall when trying to help a client get assimilated and synced with his Nokia 920 and Windows 7/Office 2010 shop... I'd have to agree with the summary above.

Note: the client "moved on" in Feb. to an iPhone 5s, then in April an iPad Air and in June The Dream Machine (IMO) BTO rMBP 15". Sorry... we're both happy.. image

Also I couldn't agree more with your views towards Adobe subs. They're a very good deal from students to pros. Not so much the "but I got to have it once in awhile" crowd.

Last but not least regarding my post in this thread a couple days ago stating my opinion that Microsoft should change their corp. name, or Windows ... or both. Seems like they're considering it but starting small... image

Microsoft considered renaming Internet Explorer to escape its checkered past | Ars Technica

Please excuse the delay of this reply, I started to type yesterday when I felt something warm and sticky between my legs. During my last operation the surgeons inserted a plastic tube into me for drainage and it had apparently fallen out during my last trip to the bathroom. The leak managed to make a quite a mess.

Thank you for the review, I hadn't seen this one yet. This guy is defiantly an Android user as 60% percent of his problems with the platform was the lack of Google support, the rest, well I just don’t think he spent enough time with the platform to make a competent observation. I'll go over a few points, though I won't talk about anything Google related as WM8 just doesn’t support it so why bother, why did the reviewer bother with it, is beyond me.

On a silly side note, I used my Nokia 1020 to type up this comment. There has been a few comments about people having problems with AppleInsider when using an iPad. When I use my iPad to type up a comment for any site including this one, I  always use a text editor to type up the comment. I use Kingsoft Office in Android, MS Office in iOS, Windows and Windows Phone of course. When the new Office app comes out for Android I will move from Kingsoft Office to MS Office, continuity and all. Anyway, I cant believe how fast I have gotten with typing on my Nokia 1020, the WM8 virtual keyboard is really great..

The first problem this guy had was with with Office 365 and the lack integration with email within the Office app itself. His complaint is quite silly here because, well, there is no Office 365 app, it's just Office, with 365 support. That and I'm really not sure what he was expecting to find here, maybe the feature set from a full desktop version, who knows. Basically the Office app in WM8 is meant for viewing, light editing and sharing files, not emails, there is a dedicated mail app for that and it is quite good, it also supports Exchange. Once you log into your Office 365 account in the Office app, you will have access to any email attachments that contain compatible files, within the Office app itself, of course and not the entire email, that's what the email client is for, just like every single mobile platform does it. To email a file from the Office app, you simply select the file you want to send, click on Share, choose email (you can also send it to DropBox, Box, BB Chat, Skype, etc., pretty much any app really that can handle files), then select the account you want to use, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, Exchange, 365, etc., find or fill in the contacts email address manually, add a subject and hit send. Why does the email client have to be embedded within the Office app itself, I don’t understand why that would be so beneficial, that would also mean I would have to deal with two separate email programs. By the way the, the email client and Office app are very tightly integrated with each other, as well as OneDrive.

His comment regarding the email app icon size was border line retarded, the email app with the small icon contains the emails for the account you used to setup your phone, most of the time it's a new Hotmail account, not important. It's not until you start adding your normal, every day email accounts from, Google, Yahoo, Exchange Server, AOL ,ect, that WM8 will then create a large email app icon for each account. If you don’t want a bunch email app icons polluting your home screen, then you can also link them all into one, or you can link all of your work email accounts into one and then link the rest into another one. You can also change the size of the icon to whatever you want, like it big, you can make it where the icon takes up two entire rows, enough for 12 small icons. 

The calendar app in Windows Mobile works just fine, the comment about the monthly view being useless was unfounded, the reviewer just didn’t spend anytime actually learning how to use it. The Monthly view only shows that there are appointments scheduled and not the actual particulars, it would be too small to actually read it, so to view that information just click on the day with the appointments your interested in and a little pane will slide down, as shown in the screenshot below;

There are better calendar apps for WM8, for instance I use a program called VsysCalendar 365  and as you can see from the screenshots below, the month view is a lot more detailed. There's about 6 really good calendar apps to choose from. Also amusing, the calendar app the reviewer is using as a comparison is a Samsung app, not a Google app as he so staunchly stated. As far as it being better then the iOS or WM8, no, it's just his opinion, I can keep track of all of my appointments just fine using an iPad or my Nokia 1020.

Plus, there are also very handy live tiles that show upcoming appointments, month and week, another complaint from the reviewer.

A screenshot of an app called WeekView;

There were also a few apps that he claimed didn't exist and I would like to go over some of them. 

Logitech Alert, though there is no app directly from Logitech for WM8, IP Camera Viewer can be used with every camera in Logitech's Alert lineup, specifically the 750i and 750e and you can set it up to save the footage directly to a shared folder in OneDrive, which is an awesome feature if you ever need to share the footage with any law enforcement, Logitech even tells their customers to use it but here's the kicker, the reason why there is no dedicated app is because Logitech has discontinued the line, no more Logitech Alert, so what the hell is this guy going on about, I can't believe he is bitching about something that has been discontinued.

Withings, okay,the Withings Wireless Blood Preasure is brand new, prior to the wireless version it had a 30pin cable which obviously meant it was only compatible with the iPad and iPhone. However, their new wireless version, like with Withings wireless scale is compatible with Microsoft HealthVault. Withings even states on their website why they didn't make a stand alone app for the Windows Mobile platform, because they worked closely with Microsoft to make HealthVault their app of choice, from their website, "Withings creates connected devices that improve health, fitness and well-being. Withings devices can connect to Microsoft Health Vault to update your key health indicators in real time and wireless." This review was actually a good thing for me because I was introduced to this wonderful device and Microsoft HealthVault, it's fantastic, I have been adding my details to it all morning and will defiantly be buying on those Wireless Blood Pressure devices. 

Nokia Here Drive, why does this reviewer keep talking about the lamest little annoyances possible, yes he's correct, when your downloading a map you have to keep it on the downloader or it pauses, here's the thing though, when you come back you can click continue, you don’t loose anything that you had already downloaded. I deleted the maps I had and downloaded Switzerland again, a 180mb download, it took 2 minutes, 34 seconds, wow, a whole 2 minutes and 34 seconds, what could you possibly have going on in your life that you just had to do something else, did this guy take to much of his ADD medication and can't sit still or what. He also didn’t talk as to why the app was good, just that it was good. How about the fact that you can even download maps for an entire country in the fist place,  for free for Gods's sake. Apple only allows their users to download a 50 square mile radius, Google is the same thing but they also allow up to 6 x 50 square mile. No, the reviewer just said that Nokia Maps was on par with Apple and Google maps and complained that you have to sit there and wait a whole 00:02:34, this guys sucks. 

Dropbox, there is no native DropBox app for WM8, I don't know why but who really cares when there are many decent third party apps that work just as fine. If you really want to use a native DropBox app on the WM8 because of security concerns, there is a program called simply, "Web Apps", it's awesome. What it does is, it takes a web app from off of the net and then wraps it in a WM8 HTML5 framework, so it looks and acts like a native app. Seriously, you can't tell the difference, it's perfect for Google apps on WM8 because there are no native Google apps, great for things like Google+, Google Calendar, Google Keep, etc. Anyway, "Web Apps" also has a store that looks like the WM8 store and in it, is DropBox, works and looks identical to the one in iOS. Personally though, I don’t like installing or using stand alone cloud storage apps, I prefer using a program where I can access them all in one place. I use FileBrowser in iOS, ES File Explorer in Android and for WM8 I use CloudMesh, I can access not only DropBox but the rest of my cloud accounts as well, even my local data.

I think those were the biggies he had a problem with. I didn't like the review, it was sloppy and pointless. Most reviewers when trying out a new platform will try and live with the device as their main for at least a few days to see how it goes. This guy basically up a Windows phone, put his Samsung Galaxy next to it and then went through a check list, yep has that app, nope doesn’t have that app. No only that but he chose some really obscure apps that weren't on the platform to complain about, Witherings blood pressure app, huh. Not only that but he didn’t really talk about what it was like to actually use the platform, did it lag, was the display resolution okay, there wasn't even a comment about battery life, nothing. Instead he just complained about icon sizes and that the map app wasn't able to download in the background. For shitt's and giggles I read some of his other articles, his writing style is just bizarre, a very angry man this guy is, here's something that you might find funny, the article before this one, Six Clicks: Six ways Windows Phone is better than iPhone Give me a break, first you try to tell us that Windows Phone is great then give it a crap rating in the very next article, yeah okay buddy, last time I'm going to read anything by this guy.

Thank you so much though for sharing it with me anyway, it was defiantly entertaining. 

• Reply 162 of 288
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Backpedal, what are you talking about, I was replying to SpamSandwich who was suggesting that I watch my back for having movies in my Google Drive. I posted a link to a government study that shows that they don't go after people for such things. I wasn't back pedaling anything.

I teasingly said my family is a bunch of pirates, but it isn't pirating when you own the media that your ripping is it.  Again your jumping to conclusions, the reasons why others didn't scold me is because they have been here for a while and they know me, Again I suggest you get to know us before calling us out on something that you misinterpret or your stay here is going to be very unpleasant.

"My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10."  I thought I didn't need to say that those DVD's and BlueRays were ours as it's pretty obvious and I didn't say that they were downloaded from a torrent site. I would have been a lot more cordial and just called the whole situation a misunderstanding but you made it personal by calling me a thief, as a newbie you need to be a little more careful in the future, okay. 

You advocated piracy (and bragged about how your government allowed it) and that's enough for me  (and again I'm not even sure I'm buying your "but i didn't do it" story anyway)

Second before you make leaping conclusions, no the bit torrent is alive and well and the majority of packets are caring copyrighted material (illegally un less I guess your country passes a law that make stealing "for personal use"  legal)

You be a little more careful next time eh?

• Reply 163 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Backpedal, what are you talking about, I was replying to SpamSandwich who was suggesting that I watch my back for having movies in my Google Drive. I posted a link to a government study that shows that they don't go after people for such things. I wasn't back pedaling anything.

I teasingly said my family is a bunch of pirates, but it isn't pirating when you own the media that your ripping is it.  Again your jumping to conclusions, the reasons why others didn't scold me is because they have been here for a while and they know me, Again I suggest you get to know us before calling us out on something that you misinterpret or your stay here is going to be very unpleasant.

"My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10."  I thought I didn't need to say that those DVD's and BlueRays were ours as it's pretty obvious and I didn't say that they were downloaded from a torrent site. I would have been a lot more cordial and just called the whole situation a misunderstanding but you made it personal by calling me a thief, as a newbie you need to be a little more careful in the future, okay. 

You advocated piracy (and bragged about how your government allowed it) and that's enough for me  (and again I'm not even sure I'm buying your "but i didn't do it" story anyway)

Second before you make leaping conclusions, no the bit torrent is alive and well and the majority of packets are caring copyrighted material (illegally un less I guess your country passes a law that make stealing "for personal use"  legal)

I wouldn't call ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays pirating, even if it isn't allowed legally.

• Reply 164 of 288
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wouldn't call ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays pirating, even if it isn't allowed legally.

It is piracy if the file or physical media is given to someone else.
  • Reply 165 of 288

The reason unlocking copy protection is illegal is that is the only protection the owners have from it being "shared". Once it is "unlocked" it is up on sharing sites (and the bit torrent) normally with days (or even hours) of release.

I notice you pick carefully amongst the things you said to rebut, you clearly advocated "sharing". That is thievery my friend.

If you don't like that label, stop advocating it.

P.S.

Ooops I though that was from Relic not BF, Benjamin I have no idea whether you advocate piracy, but "sharing" copyrighted work (outside the agreement of use) is stealing.

Copy protection is the only defense that content owners have. In a perfect world there wouldn't be any copy protection (and trust me the content owners are not trying to stop you from making a backup or using content that you have bought on all your devices as witnessed by current trends allowing you to DL an electronic copy for your other devices)

However people (apparently, a large number) are thieves so copy protection is a reality and breaking that copy protection is (in most places) and should be against the law. You DO NOT "own" the content you bought on that disk, you only purchased rights to watch it, in your home, from that disk.

• Reply 166 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It is piracy if the file or physical media is given to someone else.

I remember sharing mix-tapes as a boy. Guess it was illegal, though I don't think we were even aware of the legalities at the time. I certainly wouldn't call Relic sharing her media with her family pirating, or even her friends. If she went and sold them en masse to strangers, of course.

• Reply 167 of 288

Sorry Benjamin, I realized you were not Relic and added a post script, to my reply.

Guess I was editing as you posted

However "sharing" an electronic copy between "friends" is outside the licensing and therefore illegal.

You could loan a disk to someone but allowing multiple people electronic access is clearly illegal (whether for profit or not)

Stealing (distributing) intellectual property is theft plain and simple.

• Reply 168 of 288
    Quote:

Sorry Benjamin, I realized you were not Relic and added a post script, to my reply.

However "sharing" an electronic copy between "friends" is outside the licensing and therefore illegal.

You could loan a disk to someone but allowing multiple people electronic access is clearly illegal (whether for profit or not)

That's a silly viewpoint. Apple even go out of their way to make it easier to share media between multiple people for free, and will be making it easier still with Family Sharing in iOS 8/Mac OS X X.X. By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple.'

• Reply 169 of 288
    Quote:

Quote:

Well it's like this, we can go back and forth till our heads explode but at the end of the day I am following the laws as stated by my government not yours. So if you have problem with me taking media that I already own, transferring it to a different medium, then upload said media to a private cloud server for my immediate family too enjoy, on a modern day delivery system like a tablet, because of some outdated law your country imposes on you, well, just leave me out of it, it's your problem not mine. I know it's difficult to imagine that there are countries out there that aren't under the US's thumb like the UK is, where they allow your DMCA to break down peoples doors in the middle of the night to arrest some child for sharing a copy of the new JZ Album. If you think I am a pirate and a thief, hey that's your prerogative but again keep it to your self. Your a new member, you don't know me, you don't know that my children seen almost every film at the theaters that they have a copy of the DVD or Blue-ray for, do you know how much I've spent keeping some grip on the set of Walking Dead employed.

Do you also even know why my children and I even transferred our movie collection to the cloud for in the first place. I have breast cancer and I spend a lot of time in the hospital, so I can't take a hundred DVD's and Blu-Ray's with me. My children with a little help from their friends spent almost an entire week during their vacation time to make sure that I would have some movies to watch. So you go right ahead and start in again about my low moral compass and how I'm evil incarnate for not following some silly old rule, imposed by a county that I'm not even a citizen of, all the while owning a physical copy of every film that is uploaded to my private cloud storage where the public has no access too, but maybe before you do, you can, I don't know, just let it go.

Let me ask you a question does your girlfriend or wife where a Shawl over her face when she goes out in public, why not, in Saudi Arabia they have too, oh that law doesn't apply to you because you don't live in that country, exactly. Our government and citizens voted against your pirating laws and allowing your government to step into our country too dictate what needs to be done to would be pirates, who the majority of by the way are under 18. You don't think that these laws and policies that your government have imposed on you are just a little archaic and don't do a damn thing to deter people, it's all about power and control. Because here's the kicker, even though our laws are lax we still have one of the lowest piracy rates in the world, how is that possible, because everyone knows you need the fear of black helicopters coming in the middle of the night to snatch up our pirating children to deter people from downloading.

Was it so important to you that I get branded as a thief, so you could simply win some stupid Internet argument or show the others that this is the kind of treatment that people deserve for reimagining the use of media that they paid for in the first place. Wouldn't it have been wiser to maybe, I don't know get to know the people in this forum first before you decided to lash out at any one of them. I never understood why people find it necessary to impose their will onto everyone they come across that they don't agree with. The sad part about it is, IndyFX, I'm a really nice person and a lot of fun to talk with but since you decided to call me a thief because of some silly belief system and laws that had nothing to do with this thread from the get go, you just wanted to start an argument to make you look like you have this great moral code that everyone should stop and take notice off. So after we're finished here I no longer want anything to do with you, I'm blocking your user ID and before you do this to more people on this forum, I suggest you be a little more careful in the future. AppleInsider isn't your typical computer forum, we strive to create relationships with our members, not simply drop in every once in a while, call someone an a**hole and then leave again. If that's your goal here then I suggest you find a different place to call home. I'm done now, so here it is, you win, I'm a thief according to the laws of your country. Now can we drop it and get on with our lives.

• Reply 170 of 288
    Quote:

That's a silly viewpoint. Apple even go out of their way to make it easier to share media between multiple people for free, and will be making it easier still with Family Sharing in iOS 8/Mac OS X X.X. By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple.'

Nope and nope.

First if licening allows you to copy files it in a particular way (like Apple's family licensing) then obviously it's not.

Second it not a crime to loan a friend book or a dvd, however if you photocopy a book and give that to a friend, then yes it is (though not too serious since it only involves one copy)

However (and this is a big however) digital distribution IS considered (by most civilized countries) as a serious breech because literally thousands of copies can be distributed, each as good as the original.

• Reply 171 of 288
    Quote:

Quote:

Nope and nope.

First if licening allows you to copy files it in a particular way (like Apple's family licensing) then obviously it's not.

Second it not a crime to loan a friend book or a dvd, however if you photocopy a book and give that to a friend, then yes it is (though not too serious since it only involves one copy)

However (and this is a big however) digital distribution IS considered (by most civilized countries) as a serious breech because literally thousands of copies can be distributed, each as good as the original.

Try reading what I write before spouting off.

• Reply 172 of 288

"

Quote:

"By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple"

?I did and responded accordingly.

No loaning some a book (or a dvd) is not the same thing, nor is your Apple family sharing example.

• Reply 173 of 288
    Quote:

"

Quote:

"By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple"

?I did and responded accordingly.

No loaning some a book (or a dvd) is not the same thing, nor is your Apple family sharing example.

No, you didn't respond accordingly, because if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I regarded mass copying as piracy. Sharing things amongst friends and family is not mass copying.

• Reply 174 of 288
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What you "regard... as privacy (sic)" isn't the same thing as what the law defines as copyright infringement.

Copying a music or movie file and giving it to a friend when the license for that file does not allow you to do that is copyright infringement, which is commonly equated to "theft, plain and simple".  Doesn't matter if you call it mass copying or not.

• Reply 175 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What you "regard... as privacy (sic)" isn't the same thing as what the law defines as copyright infringement.

Copying a music or movie file and giving it to a friend when the license for that file does not allow you to do that is copyright infringement, which is commonly equated to "theft, plain and simple".  Doesn't matter if you call it mass copying or not.

Yeah, I covered that stuff earlier. Try and keep up; it gets boring repeating things for the ignorant.

• Reply 176 of 288
    Quote:

No, you didn't respond accordingly, because if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I regarded mass copying as piracy. Sharing things amongst friends and family is not mass copying.

Loaning a book (or DVD) is not copying so your example is flawed.

• Reply 177 of 288
    Quote:

Quote:

Loaning a book (or DVD) is not copying so your example is flawed.

We seem to be going round in circles. It's a matter of principle. The letter of the law states that it is illegal to share media between even a husband and wife if it means ripping a DVD or copying digital media. In that respect, the law is an ass. Apple recognises that, which is why they have come up with a clever and practical way to share your media amongst your family.

• Reply 178 of 288

Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.

• Reply 179 of 288
    relic wrote: »
    Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rIu0C6uz7Ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Like the sound effects. Now if only it were an iPhone, I would bite like the fish featured.
  • Reply 180 of 288
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »

[vid]

1) That's a great ad. Colorful with motion yet simple without obscuring the point of the ad.

2) I think it's great they are making waterproof phones but I'm not sure I'd green light creating apps that encourage people to submerse their phones unless I was very confident that it was completely waterproof even after use and abuse.

3) Do you know how the waterproof their phones? A protective spray and/or sealed components? Do you know if you need to insert a rubber stop over the USB port before submerging it?