Sketchy report claims photos show 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6L' display, logic board and 2,915mAh battery

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    palegolas wrote: »
    Sketchy or not, I must say the rumour of a 2,915 mAh battery is making me want such. There's a limit to how much work can be done on the current handset, and the limit is set by the capacity of the battery.

But that's only based when you know the power usage of the handset. For example, the current iphone 5S has a 1560 mAh battery, so if we were to increase it to 2915 mAh that's an 87% more usage time gain with all other things being equal.

Hopefully all the new iPhones will have longer usage times but if they are getting larger screens and if they are getting higher resolution and potentially higher PPI displays, along with a faster processor with more RAM, 802.11ac, and any other new component that needs more power we could potentially no real gain in usage time (except for talk time). It's possible one of more metrics could even be reduced but I doubt that would happen as Apple has been very careful to not go backwards.

Now I believe there will be an increase simply in usage time because of the increased area of the of a larger display should allow the battery use more internal volume even as the chassis gets thinner and if the logic board uses a little more space. The lager backlight needs more power but so far we haven't seen a 1:1 ratio in the additional power needed which is why larger smartphones have been able to start to catch up to Apple's usage times.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You must be ill, as derailing threads is your wont. Hope you get better soon.

Why? Why come to this thread just to attack him? If you disagree with a point he makes then by all means address that point but why take a jokey comment he made as a chance to move a grievance you have against him from days ago in another thread over to this thread? To paraphrase someone: Turn the other web browser tab.

I like it! Christianity reinterpreted for the 21st century! Cheeky.

• Reply 83 of 88
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But that's only based when you know the power usage of the handset. For example, the current iphone 5S has a 1560 mAh battery, so if we were to increase it to 2915 mAh that's an 87% more usage time gain with all other things being equal... etc…

All points true.. many things to take into account. I look at it like this:

The iPad is designed for getting through a day of work.

The iPhone was designed for getting through a day of phone.

But as I (and others, I assume) use our phones more and more for work, the battery life doesn't keep up. And then 4G came and we were back to square one in battery life, etc.

I think, if there is a big iPhone to be announced, it'll be designed for a day of work, just like the iPads.

• Reply 84 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

What are y'all's thoughts on the tmz leaked photos? seem real?

The photos on TMZ were proven several days ago to actually be iPhone 6 clones, perhaps built by GooPhone or someone else, running a heavily skinned version of Android.

• Reply 85 of 88
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Holy crap….does she need a manicure or what!?

My wife tells me, if your boss is a woman, your nails should never merit more than a cursory glance but...if its a man, they should be the best you can muster. When I questioned that it still matters...her eyes did a 360.
    Office politics or something :D
  • Reply 86 of 88
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Today I got to try a 5.2 inch phone. It didn't at all feel too large or anything. It felt good in my hand. I'm not worried about oversizing the next iPhone. In fact I'm more worried about Apple not introducing a 5+ one.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    palegolas wrote: »
    Today I got to try a 5.2 inch phone. It didn't at all feel too large or anything. It felt good in my hand. I'm not worried about oversizing the next iPhone. In fact I'm more worried about Apple not introducing a 5+ one.

Remember the original iPhone? Compare the volume and weight for that device with a 3.5" display to the last two models with a 4" display. It's both less volume and lighter. The iPhone 4/4S feels like an archaic brick after pick one up if you're an iPhone 5/5S user.

If the talk of being thinner and having rounded edges are true it may not really feel any bigger or certainly not as excessively large as the Android phone were a few years ago. It may even on par with the weight and volume of those earlier iPhones.