Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads

Comments

• Reply 181 of 288
    solipsismx wrote: »
    relic wrote: »
    Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.

[vid]

1) That's a great ad. Colorful with motion yet simple without obscuring the point of the ad.

2) I think it's great they are making waterproof phones but I'm not sure I'd green light creating apps that encourage people to submerse their phones unless I was very confident that it was completely waterproof even after use and abuse.

3) Do you know how the waterproof their phones? A protective spray and/or sealed components? Do you know if you need to insert a rubber stop over the USB port before submerging it?

Good questions, for once. It's a relief to see you come to your senses when you're on more comfortable ground.
  • Reply 182 of 288
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Good questions, for once.

Yep, the only time I've ever had a good question¡ :rolleyes:
  • Reply 183 of 288
    Good questions, for once.

Yep, the only time I've ever had a good question¡ :rolleyes:

No need for the sarcasm.

You've got to admit, you've had quite the desert of good questions for the past couple of days. It's unlike you.
  • Reply 184 of 288
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Do you know how the waterproof their phones? A protective spray and/or sealed components? Do you know if you need to insert a rubber stop over the USB port before submerging it?

You need to cover the holes with rubber plugs. It has an Ingress Protection rating of 55/58, submerge to 1.5 meters*

But don’t forget the covers…
    As well as making sure you familiarise yourself with the IP rating of your device, you must
    remember to firmly close all covers before testing its water and dust resistance. This
    includes the covers for the micro USB port, the SIM card slot, the memory card slot and
    the headphone jack, if applicable.

You should also make sure that no hairs or other small objects get caught between the
    covers and the seals when you close them. Not doing so may seriously damage your
    device.

* * (1) In compliance with IP55 and IP58, the Xperia ZR is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1.5 metres of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP58. The phone is not designed to float or work submerged underwater outside the IP55 or IP58 classification range. This may void your warranty. Get the full story.
  • Reply 185 of 288
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    "Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed"

That's a problem for being an Apple product. I doubt Apple will go that route for waterproofing their devices until you don't need to do that to make it water-resistant. Even then I would expect them to advertise it basically being splash resistant without any claim for being able to be submerged to specific depths to 1) protect themselves, and 2) under promise and over deliver as their tech will get tested on Day 0 to their limitations.
  • Reply 186 of 288
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    That's a problem for being an Apple product. I doubt Apple will go that route for waterproofing their devices until you don't need to do that to make it water-resistant. Even then I would expect them to advertise it basically being splash resistant without any claim for being able to be submerged to specific depths to 1) protect themselves, and 2) under promise and over deliver as their tech will get tested on Day 0 to their limitations.

That's okay, my iPad is mostly stationary but if I would have the need to take it outside, I would most defiantly get an OtterBox like the one I have for my Kindle HDX. Have you guys seen these cases, they basically make your tablet into a tank. Here is what mine looks like;

69ddfdb1eb4d.jpg

B007IV7KRU_lg.jpg

Otter of course has an iPad version or I wouldn't be recommendng one, just be prepared to pay upwards of 100 bucks for it, price of being tough and owning an iPad I guess. However it is worth every penny, especially for someone with an active life style, don't bother with the rest when you can have the best.
  • Reply 187 of 288
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member

Benjamin, You constantly try to obscure your argument by making it between a man and wife. (i.e. nuclear family) The law is clear, making copies of copyrighted works for friends is a clear violation of the law (at least in most civilized countries)

Apple's "family sharing" makes no mention of giving copies of anything to friends. (https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/family-sharing/)

You somehow want to make copying copyrighted work "OK". it isn't, it's stealing. Look at it this way, lets say everyone does what you do, just gives a copy of a film to "a couple friends" that means the potential for, say, a D2D production (to simplify math) could possibly be half to a quarter what it would be if people (like you) didn't feel entitled to copy. Many projects simply won't get made because the possible revenue is being siphoned off by people "sharing with friends".

• Reply 188 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yep, the only time I've ever had a good question¡ image

Wow, so do you like just drool on yourself all day, just staring at your MacBook, with a disturbing blank expression on your face, contemplating your next AppleInsider response, but no questions, God forbid it be a question. Do you also have to wear a helmet to protect your noggin. Does your mom dress you in the morning, comb your hair, tie your shoes, etc. How do you function, you poor, poor thing. :p 

• Reply 189 of 288
    indyfx wrote: »
    .at least in most civilized countries

You're saying Switzerland isn't a civilized country? I think if you keep up your stance on copyright issues you're bound to gain any credibility. From anyone, not just limited to this website.
  • Reply 190 of 288

Boogie, you might want to proofread your last post. :)

• Reply 191 of 288
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    [@]Relic[/@]

Once again, thanks for the effort and the great write up regarding the flaws in the review I pointed to.

You actually caused me once again to find the time to take a look at the new devices, both Surface and Nokia phones running 8.1... and then this pops up in me news feed from ArsTechnica.com:

[URL=http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/after-blue-screen-of-death-reports-microsoft-says-to-uninstall-recent-patch/][B][SIZE=4]After Blue Screen of Death reports, Microsoft says to uninstall recent patch[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
    [I]Company quietly revises a security bulletin and opens an investigation.[/I]

Ars is probably one of the only decent, reliable, and (most of the time) unbiased tech sites out there... meaning, this is not from the Hit-Whore-Clowns over at ZDnet or Cnet.

The above is exactly what causes me to pause trying Windows or recommending it to anyone else, because I'm going to be on the front line trying to repair this. If it's my own machine... whatever, and I enjoy a challenge... some days and when I have the time. But then again, wouldn't my time be better spent showing people how to enjoy their devices and add to their knowledge, rather than repeating the same old BS excuse, "wait until I get this snafu fixed first".

We're talking a SECURITY update here(!) I want people to TRUST these above all else and install them ASAP so that their not running around on the internet without a prophylactic against an in-the-wild security [S]bug[/S] disease.

Alas... once again, I have to warn people NOT to update, and wait 'til I have the time to investigate or hear of any problems first.

This is not a Beta, or a version 1 of a new system where I advise "patience". Also... look at that same-o BS 1990's recovery sequence(!!!!) I get aggressive just thinking of running into this mess again.

Sorry. As great as you make it sound to give Microsoft another chance (in my book), and as happy as I am for you that it dazzles and makes your day brighter***... I can't trust that it will do the same for me or for the other machines and people I'm responsible for. :no:

*** Sincerely, whatever makes your day brighter... I'm all for it... for you!
  • Reply 192 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@Relic

Once again, thanks for the effort and the great write up regarding the flaws in the review I pointed to.

You actually caused me once again to find the time to take a look at the new devices, both Surface and Nokia phones running 8.1... and then this pops up in me news feed from ArsTechnica.com:

After Blue Screen of Death reports, Microsoft says to uninstall recent patch

Company quietly revises a security bulletin and opens an investigation.

Ars is probably one of the only decent, reliable, and (most of the time) unbiased tech sites out there... meaning, this is not from the Hit-Whore-Clowns over at ZDnet or Cnet.

The above is exactly what causes me to pause trying Windows or recommending it to anyone else, because I'm going to be on the front line trying to repair this. If it's my own machine... whatever, and I enjoy a challenge... some days and when I have the time. But then again, wouldn't my time be better spent showing people how to enjoy their devices and add to their knowledge, rather than repeating the same old BS excuse, "wait until I get this snafu fixed first".

We're talking a SECURITY update here(!) I want people to TRUST these above all else and install them ASAP so that their not running around on the internet without a prophylactic against an in-the-wild security bug disease.

Alas... once again, I have to warn people NOT to update, and wait 'til I have the time to investigate or hear of any problems first.

This is not a Beta, or a version 1 of a new system where I advise "patience". Also... look at that same-o BS 1990's recovery sequence(!!!!) I get aggressive just thinking of running into this mess again.

Sorry. As great as you make it sound to give Microsoft another chance (in my book), and as happy as I am for you that it dazzles and makes your day brighter***... I can't trust that it will do the same for me or for the other machines and people I'm responsible for. image

*** Sincerely, whatever makes your day brighter... I'm all for it... for you!

Fair enough but just know that faulty security update was for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, not Windows 8 and the community found a work around very quickly, but I get your point none the less. Microsoft at least acknowledged the problem and are working on it, what more can you ask for.

• Reply 193 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You're saying Switzerland isn't a civilized country? I think if you keep up your stance on copyright issues you're bound to gain any credibility. From anyone, not just limited to this website.

...... to loose any and all, not gain.;) 

• Reply 194 of 288
    Thanks for pointing out my stupid dumbness.
  • Reply 195 of 288

I think you're being a little hard on yourself. Just a little absent-mindedness. ????
  • Reply 196 of 288

Just think of 5, 8 and 13 and you'll be right as rain.
  • Reply 197 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think you're being a little hard on yourself. Just a little absent-mindedness. ????

2nd that!

I do that all the time, just look at blunder I did with confusing AMD and Nvidia, ddduuuuhhhh I don't know which brand of Silicon Dioxide melted into a disc called an Ingot then covered with a photo resist film of the circuitry, washed to reveal an etched surface of the circuity layout which a 6 layers of copper and circuits are added, that I'm using.

• Reply 198 of 288
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member

No I didn't say that (though I would if they think stealing content should be legal (though apparently not with clock faces eh?)) 

Yes, I think pirating content is stealing.

Perhaps you can tell me why you feel you are entitled to steal others work?

Quote:

• Reply 199 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

No I didn't say that (though I would if they think stealing content should be legal (though apparently not with clock faces eh?)) 

Quote:

I'm afraid to say that we have no bones to give out here at Apple Insider, so you'll be chasing that tail for a long time.

• Reply 200 of 288
    relic wrote: »
    2nd that!

I do that all the time, just look at blunder I did with confusing AMD and Nvidia, ddduuuuhhhh I don't know which brand of <span style="color:rgb(70,69,66);word-spacing:2px;">Silicon Dioxide melted into a disc called an Ingot then covered with a photo resist film of the circuitry, washed to reveal an etched surface of the circuity layout which a 6 layers of copper and circuits are added, that I'm using.</span>

Ha! Like the Apple vs Samsung trial, where the lady couldn't tell the two tablets apart. 'They are confusing, aren't they" (Phil Schiller)

indyfx wrote: »

I never wrote that I "feel I am entitled to steal others work".

I firmly believe:
    copyright material should be protected,
    artists should be rewarded for every item sold, no matter how popular their work becomes,
    people shouldn't illegally share or sell that material,
    people should read up on local laws before passing judgement. Did you know it's perfectly legal to download copyright material in The Netherlands? Yup, put BitTorrent to work 24/7 - all fine with the Dutch government. (I won't elaborate on that or post a link; you search as to why that's ok)

I pointed out your reference to Switzerland not being a civilised country, which comes across as derogatory. What Relic did, copying her procured DVD's to cloud storage for the benefit of accessing the movies without lugging an invention from 1997 along before being hospitalised. Yes, she did use the word 'pirating' but people should read a post more thoroughly when reading a word like that as it could have been used jokingly. As it was used. What did you expect her to do, buy a laptop with an ODD and take 1000+ DVD's into the hospital?

By your reasoning it was wrong to copy the new Sly Stone album on tape so you could funk out in the car (something which is perfectly legal as the costs of tape contained copyright stuff so the artists would receive royalties. Just like blank CD's et cetera.