Rumor: Schematic suggests NFC chip in 'iPhone 6,' RAM remains unknown [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

1 GB is fine for iPhone. It does well now. 

iPad use is different, and I would not be surprised to see the iPad Air 2 get 2 GB of RAM.

Like others have said, I rarely have more than 1 Safari page open on iPhone, but often have many open on iPad....enough to cause them to reload due to insufficient memory. Its just a differences of use pattern, and the product should accommodate accordingly.

• Reply 42 of 143
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Even macrumors debunked this already simply but (GASP!) reading the information in the picture that states this is related to DDR and NAND FM. LMAO!

MacRumors:

"The schematic's references DDR and NAND suggests that it more likely refers to some aspect of the device's flash memory rather than DRAM included within the A8 chip."

• Reply 43 of 143
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    RAM isn't the whole issue. Efficient processors and operating system can compensate for 'less' RAM. Inefficient ones can remain so no matter how many dozens of GB of RAM you put in the device.

This is something that Apple might understand even if bloggers, users etc don't. And perhaps even Samsung either doesn't get it or they know that the average person doesn't so they stuff in more RAM than is being efficiently used to impress users who don't know better.
  • Reply 44 of 143
    y2any2an Posts: 189member

What on the schematic said Apple?

• Reply 45 of 143
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    RAM isn't the whole issue. Efficient processors and operating system can compensate for 'less' RAM. Inefficient ones can remain so no matter how many dozens of GB of RAM you put in the device.

This is something that Apple might understand even if bloggers, users etc don't. And perhaps even Samsung either doesn't get it or they know that the average person doesn't so they stuff in more RAM than is being efficiently used to impress users who don't know better.
    Users understand a crap experience with Safari though. And it is pretty crappy on the iPad. Aside from constant tab refreshes there are still periodic crashes.
  • Reply 46 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm not sure that what you said is quite the same thing. You also didn't respond to that post, so I never did find out what you meant. He's seems to be saying that we shouldn't be discussing this because performance is all that matters. You said that Apple knows best. Is that the same thing?

Kind of. Sorry if I wasn't more explanatory. Those things are what matters and if Apple can (and this is a rumor only) do everything they need in less RAM than other manufacturers of Android devices, I am sure it will work very well. I don't disagree with you, more is always better.
  • Reply 47 of 143
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Even macrumors debunked this already simply but (GASP!) reading the information in the picture that states this is related to DDR and NAND FM. LMAO!

MacRumors:
    "The schematic's references DDR and NAND suggests that it more likely refers to some aspect of the device's flash memory rather than DRAM included within the A8 chip."
    Seems to me the MO of most rumor sites is to throw stuff up and ask questions later. MacRumors knew a front page post about iPhone possibly keeping 1GB RAM would get a lot of posts and page views are more important than anything these days.
  • Reply 48 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

Dont gorget that flash writes aren't really battery friendly. I think true RAM would outperform flash based page files battery-wise. (Meaning doubling RAM vs flash based page files)

True. Also remember Apple bought Anobit, a Flash memory company. Who knows what technology they might incorporate from this purchase?

So maybe not an outright paging file, but some hybrid type of setup like Marvin said.

• Reply 49 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Electronics Engineer here!

This partial schematic shows external NAND Flash memory. It is not the on die RAM in the AX processor which wouldn't show up on a iphone schematic. You would only see one block that represents the entire Ax microcontroller.

This is a non-story.

Or did Apple decide to have 1GB of fast memory in the A8 itself with another 1GB external RAM to use when memory runs low or to keep processes in the background?

• Reply 50 of 143
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Apple should bump it up to 2GB. Larger screens mean that the phone is going to be more and more for browsing web sites, news sites, pulling in more data from Facebook, etc..

Not to mention that, just once, I'd like to see Apple work on future-proofing a device.
  • Reply 51 of 143
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple stayed with 256 a year too long. We were all having problems because of that. In addition, developers were complaining that they couldn't do what was needed because of it. They were right.

As I said, 1GB RAM might still be enough for the iPhone, though maybe not, what with some of the new features coming out this year, but for the iPad, 2GB is really required. I do photo editing, video editing, drawing and 3D CAD on my iPad Air, and developers tell me that a major reason why they don't support larger files is the lack of RAM. I think they know what they're talking about.

I have 32GB RAM in my Mac Pro, and I run out of RAM on some work. Another GB on my iPad would work wonders.

There's a difference between saying that Apple is not making a product with the best mix of features *for you* and saying that Apple is not making a product with the best mix of features *for them* (which is closely related to making the best mix of features for the majority of customers). You're well positioned to assess what's best for you -- I'm sure you would benefit from more RAM. But Apple is substantially better positioned to assess what's best for them and/or the majority. That doesn't mean they'll always be right, but in cases where you and they disagree, my guess is they are going to be right about 90% of the time. 

There are plenty of examples where I wish Apple would choose features that are a better fit to my needs. For example, I'd rather that the Mac Pro had two Xeons and one GPU rather than two GPUs and one Xeon. But clearly Apple has determined that more of their pro customers would benefit from a second GPU than a second Xeon. They are much better positioned than I am to make that assessment, so I'm guessing they probably made the right call. It's not that I think they can't make mistakes -- it's just that I think it's much more likely that I will make a mistake in assessing what's best for them than that they will. 

• Reply 52 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

As a doctor I can barely use any apps or bluetooth without worrying.

What does being a doctor have to do with the price of tea in China?

Just get a battery case and stop worrying.

• Reply 53 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Not to mention that, just once, I'd like to see Apple work on future-proofing a device.

Um... there's a member of my family currently using a first-gen 2010 iPhone 4 on iOS 7, and still works reasonably well. I don't think there's another smartphone manufacturer that can come close to making a claim like that on a four-year old device.

Apple's products are future-proofed quite well.

• Reply 54 of 143

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Users understand a crap experience with Safari though. And it is pretty crappy on the iPad. Aside from constant tab refreshes there are still periodic crashes.

At what point is your usage demands a true Virtual Memory management system and  OS, e.g. a Macbook Air?  

I don't ask my Honda Accord to haul 3 ton of fertilizer, because it's not the right tool for the job.  But I do haul a couple hundred pounds at a time, knowing that for small jobs , and the occasional  repeat trips to Lowes, the extra round trip time is not that bad compared to the rental/purchase price of a pickup truck.  

• Reply 55 of 143
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

lilgto64 mentioned a paging file. This to me seems the most logical. Neither iOS or Android use a paging file which is why you run into memory limits (and why Apps get suspended and closed when memory is low).

Paging files back in the days of hard disk drives sucked because of the speed compared to memory. Running Windows on a system with low memory was horribly slow. I'm sure we all remember the light for your hard drive blinking madly as Windows was constantly paging stuff to disk. This is the main reason people upgraded their RAM.

Now with Flash storage paging files are far more practical on systems with lower RAM.

ITs not practical because of the size of the flash drive.

• Reply 56 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Or did Apple decide to have 1GB of fast memory in the A8 itself with another 1GB external RAM to use when memory runs low or to keep processes in the background?

It is hard to say and I don't like speculating without more evidence. Searching for POP-FIJI-1GB-DDR-BO-BGA doesn't bring up any datasheet or other technical docs that I can review.

The fact is we don't even know if this is actually from an iPhone 6 schematic.

• Reply 57 of 143
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

There's a difference between saying that Apple is not making a product with the best mix of features *for you* and saying that Apple is not making a product with the best mix of features *for them* (which is closely related to making the best mix of features for the majority of customers). You're well positioned to assess what's best for you -- I'm sure you would benefit from more RAM. But Apple is substantially better positioned to assess what's best for them and/or the majority. That doesn't mean they'll always be right, but in cases where you and they disagree, my guess is they are going to be right about 90% of the time. 

There are plenty of examples where I wish Apple would choose features that are a better fit to my needs. For example, I'd rather that the Mac Pro had two Xeons and one GPU rather than two GPUs and one Xeon. But clearly Apple has determined that more of their pro customers would benefit from a second GPU than a second Xeon. They are much better positioned than I am to make that assessment, so I'm guessing they probably made the right call. It's not that I think they can't make mistakes -- it's just that I think it's much more likely that I will make a mistake in assessing what's best for them than that they will. 

More memory will benefit everybody. It seems a waste of a 64 bit chip to not try and beat Android, now where Apple has the chance. 

I don't care if they charged more, they do that for flash. 

• Reply 58 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... there's a member of my family currently using a first-gen 2010 iPhone 4 on iOS 7, and still works reasonably well. I don't think there's another smartphone manufacturer that can come close to making a claim like that on a four-year old device.

Apple's products are future-proofed quite well.

That is the phone I use for my international travel phone since it is unlocked. Works great. I only upgrade every two years so I will be unlocking my iPhone 5 for travel as soon as the iPhone 6 is released. AT&T will unlock it for you when your contract is up. I plan to gift the iPhone 4 to my housekeeper who is currently using a feature phone. I have all the original packaging so it will look like brand new. I'm sure it will serve her well for a few years to come.

• Reply 59 of 143
    Don't worry. This NOT the A8 DRAM configuration. It's for the NAND flash RAM which is DDR2. Courtesy of Macrumors:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19492932&postcount=214
  • Reply 60 of 143
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't really care about 1GB in the phone, but Apple had better put at least 2GB in the new iPad!

I use my iPad for heavy duty uses, and when I buy a new iPad soon, I definitely want to see it with more RAM.