Apple's holiday-themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone ad wins Emmy for 'Most Outstanding Commercial'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Sure, he was putting together the video but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't really interacting with them. 

It was titled Misunderstood so they couldn't really show how the iPhone video editing would have actually taken place. In the real world the teen would have been interacting with the family to get the shots for the video. Your points are all well noted but in this case the director of this ad wanted us to believe he was reclusive in order to have the big surprise ending. In reality the teen would have had evaluated social status in the family because everyone would have known he was making a movie of them.

• Reply 22 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Well I don't know if you are serious or not but I didn't like it either. People are all warm and fuzzy about the ending but I think that misses the point. This kid was still buried in his iPhone the entire time watching the family from the outside.

Sure, he was putting together the video but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't really interacting with them. I think it is a great example how people sometimes think they are using technology for a great end purpose but they are missing out on life along the way.

I seem to recall someone saying "The Journey Is the Reward". :D

-kpluck

He was capturing moments with his family. That's hardly the same as being buried in his iPhone and ignoring his family.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    mstone wrote: »
    It was titled Misunderstood so they couldn't really show how the iPhone video editing would have actually taken place. In the real world the teen would have been interacting with the family to get the shots for the video. Your points are all well noted but in this case the director of this ad wanted us to believe he was reclusive in order to have the big surprise ending. In reality the teen would have had evaluated social status in the family because everyone would have known he was making a movie of them.
    Nobody analyze an ad the way this forum does anyway. What matters is if it hits the right emotional chord and delivers the intended message. Nobody think about whether it totally makes sense after viewing an ad.
  • Reply 24 of 79

Why don't Apple just buy TBWA.

By the way, that WAS a great AD.

This is my first time seeing it, and it did resonate about what the holidays are about...

Family.

• Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quanster View Post

Nobody analyze an ad the way this forum does anyway. What matters is if it hits the right emotional chord and delivers the intended message. Nobody think about whether it totally makes sense after viewing an ad.

Misunderstood is a good title for this ad, because most people would not have understood that the video was being made on the teen's iPhone. Only people like we have on this forum would have known about iMovie and Airplay. I'm suggesting that the reality version I described before would have made for a happier story and also sold more iPhones. For non-Apple-tech people this ad was just a Christmas gathering with one reclusive child who hugs his mom at the end after seeing the family video. It isn't even clear that he made the video.

• Reply 26 of 79
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Stephan, if we didn't have sticklers like TS around, nobody might have noticed it when Nokia faked the quality of their phone's camera.     Yes, we don't expect ads to be documentaries, and things don't have to be perfect. But they shouldn't be abject lies, either.  So thanks to TS, who noticed things in the Apple ad that I also had some suspicions about.

ps: It's a good thing life ain't all sunshines n rainbows, or else we'd never get to see things by moonlight and enjoy starscapes an' constellations.  The universe would seem a lot smaller.  8^)

There's a huge difference between an abject lie and artistic license.  If Nokia faked the quality of their phone's camera, that's a big deal.  If Apple took license in the depiction of something that's altogether doable with the kit they sell, then that's a very insignificant deal.  See the difference?

• Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:

Well I don't know if you are serious or not but I didn't like it either. People are all warm and fuzzy about the ending but I think that misses the point. This kid was still buried in his iPhone the entire time watching the family from the outside.

Sure, he was putting together the video but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't really interacting with them. I think it is a great example how people sometimes think they are using technology for a great end purpose but they are missing out on life along the way.

-kpluck

It means he wasn't interacting with them?  He was certainly interacting.  Are the stadiums full of football fans not part of the game, even though they're not on the field taking the quarterback's passes?  That's just silly.  I guess all our dad's weren't interacting with us when they shot all those Super 8 videos we now cherish. 

• Reply 28 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple told TBWA to get their sheet together.
    And TBWA made a great commercial.
    What are you basing that on? The rumors we heard about Apple creating their own in-house agency came a long time after this ad had been produced.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Misunderstood is a good title for this ad, because most people would not have understood that the video was being made on the teen's iPhone. Only people like we have on this forum would have known about iMovie and Airplay. I'm suggesting that the reality version I described before would have made for a happier story and also sold more iPhones. For non-Apple-tech people this ad was just a Christmas gathering with one reclusive child who hugs his mom at the end after seeing the family video. It isn't even clear that he made the video.

Oh, my!  Out of touch is too gentle a description.  Who made all those ALS ice bucket videos that have flooded my FB newsfeed if my friends and theirs ad infinitum don;t understand that you can take and edit movies with a smartphone?  Did they all go out and hire professional videographers?  Sheesh!

• Reply 30 of 79

His post rhymes, so I imagine it’s just lyrics to something.

Haha. Well I thought it would've have been instantly recognizable.

Microsoft just recently put out a commercial for xbox one with an excerpt from Rocky Balboa's speech to his son in the last Rocky movie. Here's the original scene form the movie.

While watching this commercial I thought about this scene where rocky is disappointed with his son's lack of involvement in his life.

It would have been hilarious if he pulled out and iphone and showed his father a home made movie of all his fights edited on a his iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What are you basing that on? The rumors we heard about Apple creating their own in-house agency came a long time after this ad had been produced.

What's your definition of a long time?  This video was shot within the last 12 months.  The rumors we all heard were at least six months ago.  Did Apple suddenly, one day six months ago, get fed up with their ad agency?  The back and forth over getting it right would have been ongoing for at least a year prior to you hearing a rumor.  So that means the notion that Apple was putting the squeeze on their ad agency prior to this ad coming out is altogether viable, and very likely.

• Reply 32 of 79
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

-kpluck

I thought the same thing and didn't like this commercial. This ad is very polarizing and seems to generate love/hate responses.

• Reply 33 of 79
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Microsoft just recently put out a commercial for xbox one with an excerpt from Rocky Balboa's speech to his son in the last Rocky movie. Here's the original scene form the movie.

While watching this commercial I thought about this scene where rocky is disappointed with his son's lack of involvement in his life.

It would have been hilarious if he pulled out and iphone and showed his father a home made movie of all his fights edited on a his iPhone.

ha! Good point. I doubt after hearing, "I'm leaving you...you never listen!" a guy could pull out recordings of conversations and salvage the relationship.

• Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Oh, my!  Out of touch is too gentle a description.  Who made all those ALS ice bucket videos that have flooded my FB newsfeed if my friends and theirs ad infinitum don;t understand that you can take and edit movies with a smartphone?  Did they all go out and hire professional videographers?  Sheesh!

Taking photos and short amateur videos with a smartphone is pretty routine. Putting together a professional looking multi-clip edited video is a different situation altogether. My complaint with the ad is that instead of showing the exciting features of the iPhone they create a dark emotional drama about a troubled teen, then surprise you at the end. The complete video capturing and editing process is hidden to build the wayward son drama. I much prefer the Apple ads that show people having fun using the devices.

• Reply 35 of 79

This commercial still brings tears to my eyes.  The music is perfect.  I can relate to the misunderstood kid.

• Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That was the last great ad from Apple. There were quite a few mediocre ones prior to that, as I recall.

The current crop of moody, sulky, preachy-sounding, self-satisfied ads -- with their utterly mediocre music ("Gigantic" is Exhibit A) -- needs to be jettisoned.

"…last great ad…"?

Did you mean, "latest"?

(i.e., not "final", but "most recent"?)

I meant exactly what I wrote.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Microsoft just recently put out a commercial for xbox one with an excerpt from Rocky Balboa's speech to his son in the last Rocky movie. 

Aaaaah, okay.  Yeah, I never saw the ROCKY movies.  And I don't really watch much TV, either, so I missed the MS adverts.  Guess I'm out of touch. Too busy having a life and visiting mom.  ;)

• Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The current crop of moody, sulky, preachy-sounding, self-satisfied ads -- with their utterly mediocre music ("Gigantic" is Exhibit A) -- needs to be jettisoned.

I just went to Apple and watched the Gigantic ad again. I like it much better than this Christmas ad mainly because it shows people using the devices and having fun. The Christmas ad is moody and sulky.

• Reply 39 of 79
    mstone wrote: »
    Taking photos and short amateur videos with a smartphone is pretty routine. Putting together a professional looking multi-clip edited video is a different situation altogether. My complaint with the ad is that instead of showing the exciting features of the iPhone they create a dark emotional drama about a troubled teen, then surprise you at the end. The complete video capturing and editing process is hidden to build the wayward son drama. I much prefer the Apple ads that show people having fun using the devices.

If that ad represents a dark emotional drama to you, then you've lived a very sheltered life.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So where are all the clowns that say Apple ads suck?

They're busy fapping to loops of Samsung ads.